Character Generator for Windows

Spatula

Character Generator for Windows

Postby Spatula » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:30 pm

For those using Windows machines, I've put together a TE Character Generator! It can output character stats in text form - either in the format from the TE rule book or something approximating how it was in oTorg, and can also add the stats to a character sheet for printing (in color or grayscale).

ProfessorK

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Seems like there ae going to be a few floating around,maybe we should start a thread.

Out of curiposity, if its .NET why is it Windows only?

The one Ive been working on is Filemaker based and so completely portable.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:34 pm

ProfessorK wrote:Out of curiposity, if its .NET why is it Windows only?

It's built using WinForms.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Oh, if I were you I would have used GTK+ *shrug*

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:51 am

I just wanted to announce that my TOCG character generator is pretty much done, at least as far as character generation goes. XP advancement is a whole 'nother kettle of fish! As far as I'm aware, it handles everything except for the Followers perk (which I suppose isn't available at chargen anyway) and spits out characters as text (either Eternity or Original flavor) or on a character sheet. If there are some bugs, there's a handy "report bug" feature in the Help menu.

The neat bit of it is, the data is all customizable. You can change how many attribute points you get at startup! You can change how many spells you get from the Spellcaster perk! You can add or delete cosms! You can add, delete, modify anything! (well, not the attributes) You can even use your own character sheets! (although I have to say it's a painstaking process to place everything correctly) There's some Readme files in the download explaining the basic process for changing the data around. But it mostly boils down to, look at what's already there and copy it.

Post with some screenshots here, download here.

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:46 am

This certainly looks excellent. Especially like the text export format be there as well as the character sheet. Perfect for NPCs.

Regarding the XP advancement. A 'manual' option would be good. Whereby players just add stuff and type in the XP cost, or just change their XP available themselves. This is because a lot of people are considering house ruling XP.

For example, I want additional purchases of the same Perk, with a few exception, to always cost a flat 5XP and not increase the cost of new Perks. You could add options to the metadata to allow this but the next person might want something completely different. So just allowing a manual override on options would be good.

Also, I may want to allow perks from other cosms, especially when creating NPCs. You have an option to show unavailable options in the add perk window, but I can't actually add one. Would be good if I could.

Maybe have an option in the menu 'Enforce Selection Rules' which is on by default but can be turned off? Or something in CharGenData.xml

Maybe this is something you are already planning after Finish Char Gen is completed? This option seems to be disabled at the moment.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 am

Ayaron wrote:This certainly looks excellent. Especially like the text export format be there as well as the character sheet. Perfect for NPCs.

Thanks!

Ayaron wrote:Regarding the XP advancement. A 'manual' option would be good. Whereby players just add stuff and type in the XP cost, or just change their XP available themselves. This is because a lot of people are considering house ruling XP.

For example, I want additional purchases of the same Perk, with a few exception, to always cost a flat 5XP and not increase the cost of new Perks. You could add options to the metadata to allow this but the next person might want something completely different. So just allowing a manual override on options would be good.

Do you think people using the same computer would want different settings? See, my thought was that the GM would want things a certain way (different XP costs, fewer restrictions, etc.), and set the data up to reflect that, and the players would then use those data files.

Ayaron wrote:Maybe have an option in the menu 'Enforce Selection Rules' which is on by default but can be turned off? Or something in CharGenData.xml

Hm, good idea.

Ayaron wrote:Maybe this is something you are already planning after Finish Char Gen is completed? This option seems to be disabled at the moment.

Yeah, still thinking about how the data and the rules change once you move to advancement mode. Right now I'm envisioning a "XP" mode where changes cost/refund XP or dollars, and a "Free" mode for changes that are outside of the XP system (like injuries, corruption, or losing reality adds).

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Spatula wrote:Yeah, still thinking about how the data and the rules change once you move to advancement mode. Right now I'm envisioning a "XP" mode where changes cost/refund XP or dollars, and a "Free" mode for changes that are outside of the XP system (like injuries, corruption, or losing reality adds).

Remember that in normal gameplay money isn't tracked like it is in other games. Players just make streetwise/persuasion roles to gain equipment. So I think after char gen you don't need to track money at all anymore.

Free mode sounds good for making NPCs and those of us who are going to tinker with the advancement system.

:)

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Its a bit more complex then that.

Setup your are limited by some costs. Advancement youa re limnited by oither costs.

I really had to keep the two as seperate values in the database in most cases and just dispolay aggregates.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 pm

The option to Export as PDF, as well as the "Finish Char Gen" option are grayed out for me.

Excited for this.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”