Character Generator for Windows

Spatula

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby Spatula » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:51 pm

TiaMaster wrote:The option to Export as PDF, as well as the "Finish Char Gen" option are grayed out for me.

Excited for this.

Export to PDF is greyed out, or the Save as PDF button on the Export window is? The first should be enabled. I haven't gotten around to the save as PDF but you can still print out the sheet in the meantime.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Sorry, its the Save as PDF button after you choose Export. I didn't realize you hadn't enabled it yet.

Is it possible to change the preprinted skills to something else, like replace Energy Weapons with Dodge for instance? There are not enough skill slots on the sheet.

Also, do you think you will enable a way to write notes in the Notes fields on the char sheet?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 am

I've enabled the "Save to PDF" button and updated the download. The PDF generation is not perfect as it cuts off long strings of text, but it gets the job done for now. I also included some variant character sheets, one that removes all the preset skills and one that has some space for spells (which includes Miracles and Psionics).

TiaMaster wrote:Also, do you think you will enable a way to write notes in the Notes fields on the char sheet?

I was going to ask, what Notes? But I realize now what you mean. That text is pulled from the XML file; the "Notes" for an item is a list of all its "Effects" and "Qualities" listed in the XML. If you want to insert something for, say, Multi-Tool, you would:

1) Open the Data\TocgGameData.xml file for editing.
2) Search for "Multi-Tool". You'll get a section of XML that looks like this:

<Item name="Multi-Tool" category="General" cosm="CE" tech="22" fromPerk="false" dollars="40" value="8">
<Summary />
<Description>Please see page 142 in the Torg Eternity Core Rulebook.</Description>
</Item>

3) Change that to:

<Item name="Multi-Tool" category="General" cosm="CE" tech="22" fromPerk="false" dollars="40" value="8">
<Summary />
<Description>Please see page 142 in the Torg Eternity Core Rulebook.</Description>
<Qualities>
<Misc>(whatever you want)</Misc>
</Qualities>
</Item>

3b) If there's already a <Qualities></Qualities> section for the item in question, you can change it or add a new <Misc></Misc> element to it.
4) Save the file.

You could, alternatively, put something in for the Summary element (changing <Summary /> to <Summary>(whatever you want)</Summary>) and change line 62 in CharacterSheets\CharacterSheetEternity.xml from prop="Gear.(Item).AbbrevNotes" to prop="Gear.(Item).Summary".
Last edited by Spatula on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farast

Postby Farast » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:20 am

I was building a Realm Runner type character and I noticed that when I tick the show unavailable options it screws up the cannot afford option (things that cost greater than $500 show up as unaffordable even if you haven't spent any money. Apart from that it is working great.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 am

Wow it really looks like you are serious about putting good notes in there anyway. I was just gonna put things such as:
Situational Awareness - "Card into pool 1 per scene".
Etc.

This thing is great.

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Spatula wrote:For those using Windows machines, I've put together a TE Character Generator! It can output character stats in text form - either in the format from the TE rule book or something approximating how it was in oTorg, and can also add the stats to a character sheet for printing (in color or grayscale).

My players used your widget to knock out all their characters and many kudos to you. They were all impressed with the speed you put this together, and how well it works. Our complements to the chef, basically. Thanks!

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Would you like feedback here or somewhere else?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:40 pm

TiaMaster wrote:Would you like feedback here or somewhere else?

You can PM me here, send it through the Bug Report menu item in the application under the Help menu, or use the contact form on the site in my sig.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Ayaron wrote:Also, I may want to allow perks from other cosms, especially when creating NPCs. You have an option to show unavailable options in the add perk window, but I can't actually add one. Would be good if I could.

Maybe have an option in the menu 'Enforce Selection Rules' which is on by default but can be turned off? Or something in CharGenData.xml

I've added a true/false option to CharGenData.xml, <AllowPrereqOverride>. It's false by default, but if it is set to true, perks and miracles/psionics/spells can be chosen even if the character doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Farast wrote:I was building a Realm Runner type character and I noticed that when I tick the show unavailable options it screws up the cannot afford option (things that cost greater than $500 show up as unaffordable even if you haven't spent any money. Apart from that it is working great.

Ah, I needed to clear selections when the list box contents were changed. Fixed that, thanks for catching it.

TiaMaster wrote:This thing is great.

Thanks! :)

Hobbes wrote:Our complements to the chef, basically. Thanks!

I'm super excited that your players used it and it worked! :D

So I put up a new version, probably the last one for a while unless a solution to the PDF-text-not-wrapping issue presents itself. Fixed a few minor issues with the text exports, updated the skills+spells character sheet to make it look nicer, and added the prerequisite override mentioned above. Keep in mind when unzipping that if you've changed the data files, they might get overwritten! I haven't changed anything in the TocgGameData file, and just added the one line to CharGenData. In the future I want to separate user edits to the data from the baseline data so that that will not be an issue.

Thank you to everyone who is using the application! :mrgreen:

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Spatula wrote:
Ayaron wrote:Also, I may want to allow perks from other cosms, especially when creating NPCs. You have an option to show unavailable options in the add perk window, but I can't actually add one. Would be good if I could.

Maybe have an option in the menu 'Enforce Selection Rules' which is on by default but can be turned off? Or something in CharGenData.xml

I've added a true/false option to CharGenData.xml, <AllowPrereqOverride>. It's false by default, but if it is set to true, perks and miracles/psionics/spells can be chosen even if the character doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Perfect. Thanks!

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”