Character Generator for Windows

QuarrelBlue

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:02 am

Spatula wrote:There's a new version that fixes that, v1.5.0.6 (which also includes the lasso errata).

Thanks, but there's still some lingering problems with Ground Sloth Claws...
When you switch Race from Ground Sloth while displaying Weapons tab the Special Ability Claws remain on the top of the list(while weapon Claws itself go away), and after that, whenever you switch back to and from Ground Sloth it leaves another Claws on Special Ability list!

And, Ground Sloth Claws have Tech Axiom of the Reality when Race choice was made, so making Core Earth(Default Cosm) Ground Sloth and switching the Reality into Living Land makes you a living contradiction(Tech 6 being with Tech 23 natural body parts).
(And, Edeinos Claws are not on Special Ability list, only on Weapons, with Tech Axiom 6. I thought natural Weapons like claws and fists have no Tech Axiom and never make contradiction without some kind of Magical/Social/Spiritual/Technological/World-Law-Dependent enhancement...?)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:09 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:When you switch Race from Ground Sloth while displaying Weapons tab the Special Ability Claws remain on the top of the list(while weapon Claws itself go away), and after that, whenever you switch back to and from Ground Sloth it leaves another Claws on Special Ability list!

Not seeing this. If you're changing an existing character that already had issues, please scrap it and create a new one.

Fixed inherent weapons so they don't have a tech axiom. New version.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:45 am

Spatula wrote:Not seeing this. If you're changing an existing character that already had issues, please scrap it and create a new one.

Fixed inherent weapons so they don't have a tech axiom. New version.

It happened when I was trying a new character, but I scrapped all TOCG files and downloaded the zip file again. Now I have NO Stalenger or Ground Sloth option at all...

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Right, they’re not out of the box because they’re not actually defined races. You probably had a custom data file. Sample stalengars and sloths are in a post back on page 11.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Aha, I think I've discovered what the issue was. I had said earlier in the thread, add this code to your Custom game data file to add in stalengers and ground sloths and then adjust to taste. But while adding in the Nile stuff I changed some of the naming conventions I was using in the data files. And as a result the names of the special abilities for the new races changed, and the custom data files needed an update to reflect that. Then I forgot that I had made that change or that I had said that before and the custom data files needed an update. Sorry about the screw-up!

So here's the corrected version, which you can use to replace your custom game data file (if you used the previous code). Or you can replace the parentheses "(" ")" with brackets "[" "]". I've also edited the older post back on page 11 to be up to date.

► Show Spoiler

Earlier in development, I had been using NAME (EXTRA INFO) for both specialized abilities - e.g. Animal Companion (Sabre-Tooth Tiger) - and racial tags - e.g. Slow (Ground Sloth). Initially it wasn't a problem, but as abilities and perks have proliferated I realized I needed to be able to discern between the two uses, because I pull out the racial/perk tags when it comes time to make the character sheet.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 pm

There's a new version, v1.5.0.8, that has some typos corrected and some UI bits improved. It also adds the Larendi, which I somehow missed being included in the final version of The God Box.

The "race" selection has changed from a drop-down list to a button that launches its own window, so that the details of each race can be displayed. Also when you hover over the attributes, there's a tooltip that shows you the permissible values for that attribute based on the character's race. Selecting a faith has also been changed to have its own window, although that (currently) only crops up if you take the Miracles perk.

EDIT: added screenshots.
► Show Spoiler

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:18 am

So I got around to looking at some of the bonus material from the Nile Empire kickstarter, and found (much to my chagrin) that there are official write-ups for ground sloth and stalenger races in the Ruins of the Living Land (a compilation of the New York, DC, Atlanta material from the LL kickstarter). There's also all the new perks from the Living Land backer archetypes in Ruins, plus three additional perks for stalngers (what, no love for the ground sloths?). So I've incorporated all of that into the basic program, and no messing around with the custom data file is needed.

One side effect of that is that, if you have added the ground sloth and stalenger races to your custom data file, you will want to delete those entries. Otherwise the custom values will override the "official" values.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:53 pm

Whoops! That last version, 1.5.0.10, had a bug when selecting perks that require additional decisions to be made. Please grab 1.5.0.11 if you downloaded since my previous post.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:03 pm

So while we're all waiting for the rest of the Nile Kickstarter PDFs, I've added some new features to the character generator.

#1 is a new export option (Character menu -> Export -> Encounter). It's intended for NPCs, particularly mooks. It presents the character as a condensed stat block with fill-in bubbles for shock & wounds & conditions. You can increase the count to add more sets of fill-in bubbles based on your encounter.

One option that is turned on by default is success thresholds. Instead of the statblock saying, "Dodge: 8" it will have "Dodge: 8 / 13 / 18". The idea is to allow the GM to see what success level is reached against the NPC without having to do any math at all. But if you don't like it, you can turn it off.

Either way, the text can be copied and pasted into Word or whatever your favorite text editor is, then you can print out the statblocks for use at the table!

► Show Spoiler

#2 is a bunch of new windows for doing rolls. I dunno how useful people will find this, since it's more on an in-play tool than a prep tool. At the very least it's handy to see how useful some options are. There's a window for just rolling tests, another for just rolling BD, and a "success calculator" that covers everything. The latter is really useful for attacks, since it computes the number of BD based on your success level, and after you (virtually) roll the BD it calculates the actual damage based on the target's toughness. I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) that all current ways of modifying d20 and BD rolls are represented. These are under the new Tools menu.

One handy bit is that if you look at the Success Calculator menu for a complete character, it will fill in some stuff for you. For example, a character with a weapon in their inventory would have menu options for testing their melee weapons skill on its own, or testing melee weapons specifically with that weapon. This will fill in some of the values in the window for you.

► Show Spoiler

#3 isn't new exactly, but I've gone and fixed the font issues with the Notes window. I found that code somewhere a long time ago and used it even though I noticed it was weird about responding to changing the font. Anyway, I finally dug into the code to find and fix the problem. The Notes window should now behave as one would expect when you change the font size or type. I also added in the standard formatting shortcuts for turning bold/italic/underline on and off.

As always, the latest version (v1.6) can be gotten here.
Last edited by Spatula on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Spatula wrote:One option that is turned on by default is success thresholds. Instead of the statblock saying, "Dodge: 8" it will have "Dodge: 8 / 13 / 18". The idea is to allow the GM to see what success level is reached against the NPC without having to do any math at all. But if you don't like it, you can turn it off.

That is awesome and a brilliant idea.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”