Character Generator for Windows

ProfessorK

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:52 pm

So... I donwloaded at your link above.

I don't see miracles or any of the other things like magic or cyberware.

I also don't see the Miracles perk in your perk list.

Is there a different download I should be looking at?

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Choosing a magical skill is what enables the Spellcaster perk, and so on.

Havent even looked at Cyberware yet!

Edit: I just looked, you have to choose Cyberpapacy for Cyberware to appear, for instance.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:25 pm

TiaMaster is correct. By default, perks that the character does not meet the requirements for are not shown. You can click the "Show Unavailable Options" checkbox to see all the perks. Ones you've already taken will be listed in gray, ones that have un-met requirements are in red. If you select a red perk, the reasons why it is red will appear on the right side of the dialog.

So to select spells, you need at least 1 rank in a magic skill. Ditto for psi-powers and psionic skills, or miracles and Faith. To select cyberware, you have to be from the Cyberpapacy. To select Occultech, you have to be from Tharkold and have Strength 10+. And so on.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Okay, so this is why I was looking.

If you have those implemented, AFAICS the big missing thing is advancement. Is this something you are working on?
Secondly, have you considered templating for your output?

Honestly if you have both of those then I'm willing to conceed the space to you. My own effort is pretty far along but I have plenty of OTHER projects I could be workign on instead....

I like my look better, obviously, but its not a big deal if I can control output. The only other thing mine has is cross platform support but I havent seen a big response so I have to assume the mac-ony user community isn't big enough to justify the effort by itself.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

ProfessorK wrote:Okay, so this is why I was looking.

If you have those implemented, AFAICS the big missing thing is advancement. Is this something you are working on?
Secondly, have you considered templating for your output?

Advancement is still in the planning stages. It'll probably be a while before it's done - maybe I'll aim for around the time that the physical books come out.

I'm not sure what you mean by templating? Do you mean an output option that looks like the oTorg character templates?

I'm not looking to drive you out of the T:E software business, here! I'm doing this because I enjoy knowing people use it and like it, sure. But I primarily built it because it's something that I wanted to have for myself, and I thought it would be an interesting exercise. The game hasn't even been published, yet, so I think it might be premature to judge what kind of user base will exist for which platforms, or what software they will prefer. Heck, there's potentially another character generator in the wings...

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Templating is a solution to output that allows the users to design their own forms as "templates" . (Closely related to "reporting" but not necc driven from a database.) The template engine then fills out spaces that are marked as comiong from the data.

The most common are Text templating engines for generating HtML (T4 for instance is built into .Net), but there are also graphical solutions.

I do enough C# that this has made me curious so Im going to poke around and loo kat the open source available engines. I'll give you some pointers to free ons that I think might make sense...

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm

As I think about it... a simpler anbd maybe better option for you to consider is output C# plugins.

Thats something I could add if you considered opening thre code base.

Oh and i appreciate that you don't want to "drive me out". But frankly I started my project to primarily fill a personal need and, if you are doing the same work, its kind of pointless to duplicate efforts. Especailly if we could combine them.

Im 100% happy with C#. Especially since you've done most of the Win Forms work ;). I was workign in Filemaker just because it gave me a leg up and that cross-platform support.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:54 pm

P.S. Yeah that other one has been around for awhile but Im totally unintersted in a browser-based solution where someone else has control of my data, myself.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 pm

OK, I think I've fixed the issue where longer strings of text were not wrapping properly when saving to PDF. Also made a few other minor improvements, such as being able to see the stats of an item (damage, toughness bonus, etc.) when looking at it in the purchasing window, or adding racial abilities to the PDF character sheets. The download is still right here.

On my to-do list is:
1) Change the setup so user changes to the data go in a separate file. That will keep future updates to the game data from overwriting changes that people have made on their local systems.
2) Implement GM characters, who have no spending limits or restrictions.
3) Implement PC advancement via XP.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm

The wrap-around is still not working for some fields once you save to PDF. I noticed some things did wrap.

To be clear, when you are looking at the Export Character "preview" of the sheet, it does indeed look like everything is wraping, but once you actually open the File that you exported, some wrappings are not working.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”