Character Generator for Windows

Spatula

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby Spatula » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:43 pm

TiaMaster wrote:The wrap-around is still not working for some fields once you save to PDF. I noticed some things did wrap.

To be clear, when you are looking at the Export Character "preview" of the sheet, it does indeed look like everything is wraping, but once you actually open the File that you exported, some wrappings are not working.

Specifics are helpful!

The preview is actually done in HTML, which is less picky about some stuff than PDFs are. Though there just isn't that much space to fit (in some cases) a good amount of text, so there's no perfect solution.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Despite me saying I wasn't going to work much more on this right now, I got sucked back into to implementing custom data in a way that will allow me to push updates without clobbering your customizations, and implementing GM characters (as I want to be able to spit out statblocks for my own use). GM characters could also double for advanced PCs for now, as there's few limits on what you can add to the character.

Customizations are now located in the CustomData folder. There are some example files that explain the basics. Don't edit those files! Copy or rename them to remove the "EXAMPLE" from the filename, and then start changing and adding stuff.

Here's an example of a GM character: the Tharkold Abomination from page 272 of the rule book!
ImageImageImage

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 pm

This is the file that TOCG generated (everything looks fine on preview though):

As you can see, Natural Leader did fine, but Bodyguard and Caltrops didnt.

I was wondering if we will ever be able to input our own gear? That and the little wrapping thing are the only things I would want before using them in ROll20.

You gonna accept donations?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

TiaMaster wrote:This is the file that TOCG generated (everything looks fine on preview though):

As you can see, Natural Leader did fine, but Bodyguard and Caltrops didnt.

Ah, the uncertainty of font rendering. There's no perfect solution; it's genuinely difficult in many contexts to know how big a text string will appear on the screen or page. The actual PDF renderer I'm using thinks that all those summaries that really don't fit are actually going to fit in the provided space, for example. I suppose that it was free...

I've put in some adjustments that make those specific cases work properly, though undoubtedly there are others that will not work, or did work and now don't. You can download v1.0.3.3 here, as always.

TiaMaster wrote:I was wondering if we will ever be able to input our own gear? That and the little wrapping thing are the only things I would want before using them in ROll20.?

Hmm? You've always been able to do that. Read the "Customizing Game Data" docx in the install directory, and look at the "EXAMPLE CustomGateData" file in the CustomData folder. Then do this if you don't know XML:

1) make a copy of the "EXAMPLE CustomGameData.xml" file in the CustomData directory.
2) rename the copy to just "CustomGameData.xml".
3) delete lines 153 ("<!--") and 161 ("-->") (those disable the <Gear> </Gear> section on lines 152-160).
4) delete from <Item name="Tentacles (Stalenger)"... to </Item>.
5) find a similar item to what you want to add in the Data\GameData.xml file (search by name, for example).
6) copy the similar item, from <Item ... to </Item> in the GameData file, into your CustomGameData file, in-between <Gear> and </Gear>.
7) make your adjustments. Be sure to change the name, unless you want to replace the original item.
8) start up the program.

If you are having troubles and have something specific you want to add, post its stats and I can show what to add to the CustomGameData file. But you should be able to follow the existing patterns to get what you want.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 pm

I sent you a bunch of PMs because I'm a noob.

GM characters won't export to PDF.

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Example CustomCharGenData.xml file (placed in the CustomData folder):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<CharGenData>
<FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>1</FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>
<FirstRankAddCostSkilled>1</FirstRankAddCostSkilled>
</CharGenData>

This will (I hope) make the cost of new skills 2 XP.

Example CustomGameData.xml file (placed in the CustomData folder):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TocgGameData>
<Spells>
<Spell name="Turn to Cat" axiom="16">
<Skill name="Alteration">12</Skill>
<InitialPicks>
<Cosm>AL</Cosm>
</InitialPicks>
<Summary>Turns you into a cat.</Summary>
<Description>Please see House Rules under New Spells.</Description>
</Spell>
</Spells>
</TocgGameData>

This added the custom spell, Turn to Cat, under spells if the character has Alteration Skill of at least 12.

The trick is just to copy an existing block from the files found in the Data folder. Just be sure to include both the <Spells> and the </Spells> tag around it.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Ayaron wrote:Example CustomCharGenData.xml file (placed in the CustomData folder):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<CharGenData>
<FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>1</FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>
<FirstRankAddCostSkilled>1</FirstRankAddCostSkilled>
</CharGenData>

This will (I hope) make the cost of new skills 2 XP.

Yes, that will be the intention.

Ayaron wrote:The trick is just to copy an existing block from the files found in the Data folder. Just be sure to include both the <Spells> and the </Spells> tag around it.

Yes, and also remove "<!--" and "-->" from immediately above and below <Spells> </Spells> (or whichever element)! Very important.

TiaMaster wrote:GM characters won't export to PDF.

This is fixed, along with a few other issues that i ran into. I also believe that I've now implemented all the game mechanics available to starting characters. Which is to say, spikey armor will now add to all unarmed damage as it's supposed to, and strength-boosting armor will boost damage for strength-based weapons. Items that include other items (mostly Cyberpapacy stuff: Destroyer armor, Godbeam weapons) will also add/remove those bits to your inventory when the item is equipped.

Ok, barring any new bugs, taking a break from this for a little while. Current version is 1.0.3.8, download here.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:16 pm

So, I realized that I hadn't gotten around to implementing the Animal Companion (Sabre-Tooth Cat) or White Wolf perks. So I did that. While I was at it, I also got the Followers (aka "build a sidekick") perk done. Though Followers isn't available at the start, you can get around that by enabling overrides in your CustomCharGenData file, if you're curious.

Not a legal character!!!

Latest version is now v1.0.4, download here.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:54 pm

I added HardPlas Cyberleg to cyberware, but I do not know how to allow certain things to be taken again. I tried the tag "takeAgain" but it didnt work.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:12 pm

TiaMaster wrote:I added HardPlas Cyberleg to cyberware, but I do not know how to allow certain things to be taken again. I tried the tag "takeAgain" but it didnt work.

Aha, I had not considered that! It's a side effect of cyberware being accessed through perks instead of bought like items. You could make a "Cyberleg (Left Leg)" and "Cyberleg (Right Leg)", just for the time being, while I think about the best way to fix the problem.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”