Character Generator for Windows

Spatula

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 pm

TiaMaster wrote:I added HardPlas Cyberleg to cyberware, but I do not know how to allow certain things to be taken again. I tried the tag "takeAgain" but it didnt work.

So, I added the ability to buy multiples of an item for regular gear in the latest version. And after playing around with it and thinking about it, I decided to not include that feature with selecting cyberware. It's not clear what effect having multiple pieces of the same cyberware implant would be; e.g. if you have two Belleview Low-Light MK IIs, do you ignore 4 pts of darkness penalties? So in cases where it makes sense that the character could have more than one of a particular kind of cyberware, I think the previously mentioned solution is probably the best one. Or design the cyberware to be like the Chod Rabbitjack MK II (page 161-2), which already includes both legs. That is, have a "one leg" option and a "both legs" option.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:13 am

Alright, so advancement via XP turned out to be less work than I was anticipating. New version is 1.0.5.5, available here.

Once you've declared that character generation (chargen) for a particular character is complete, the Character menu changes around a bit. For PCs, there are two "spending modes" - XP or Free. In XP mode, anything you change costs (or refunds) XP or money. In Free mode, you can do whatever. Even exceed racial attribute minimums or maximums, skill caps, and so on.

One note: in XP mode, you can't get rid of attribute points/skill adds/perks that you bought during chargen. You can in Free mode.

You can also reset your character back to the point where it was at when chargen was first completed. I dunno how useful that might be for PCs, but for NPCs it might be good if you're making a unique monster based off of a stock monster, and want to start over.

The other big feature are "Character Events." So that you don't have to switch around between XP and Free mode all the time, I put in menu items for the things that would normally cause you to muck around with your character in unusual ways, like losing a Reality add (possibly down to zero) or a point of Charisma, or gaining free perks. I also added the ability to enchant items as per Asyle's Law of Enchantment, added the ability to generate random items that one might find in Asyle from that same law or from cosm cards (the table is in the GameData XML file and can be customized), and put in hooks for letting the system know that you or your group has played a Glory card. That last one is just for the benefit of perks that require you to have done so. Although the program will also prompt you to add a note to your character describing the glorious scene. :)

NOW I am taking a break from active development. For reals this time! I still have a few small things on my list, and will work to fix any bugs that crop up. But otherwise I will be getting some sleep...
Last edited by Spatula on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Actually, that sounds like a very interesting way to handle things. I look forward to exploring the options and finding any bugs.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:51 am

OK, I lied. I've fixed a few bugs and, more importantly, added an old school character sheet! It was adapted from the character sheet in the revised rulebook with my meager MS Paint skills. :D New version is 1.1.1.0, available here.
► Show Spoiler

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm

If I change this as previously suggested, that means that when upgrading the character with XP, unskilled first adds cost 3, and normal skills cost 2? This has no impact on char gen?

<FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>2</FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>
<FirstRankAddCostSkilled>1</FirstRankAddCostSkilled>

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:15 pm

TiaMaster wrote:If I change this as previously suggested, that means that when upgrading the character with XP, unskilled first adds cost 3, and normal skills cost 2? This has no impact on char gen?

<FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>2</FirstRankAddCostUnskilled>
<FirstRankAddCostSkilled>1</FirstRankAddCostSkilled>

It only affects XP costs, yes. The above would make the 1st add in a skill that can be used unskilled - e.g. stealth - cost 3 XP (1 [new rank value] + 2 [additional cost]), and the 1st add in a skill that cannot be used unskilled - e.g. telepathy - cost 2 XP (1 [new rank value] + 1 [additional cost]). Since you probably don't want "easy" skills to cost more, I think you might want to swap those numbers.

OttawaTom

Postby OttawaTom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 am

Has anybody ever reported the text on the PDF being misplaced upwards on the form when a PC portrait is added to the character sheet? I made a PC without a portrait and the text was in the correct location, but after adding a picture the text is misalligned upwards.

Is this a new thing, or is there some sort of picture processing you're supposed to do to not cause the text to move?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 pm

OttawaTom wrote:Has anybody ever reported the text on the PDF being misplaced upwards on the form when a PC portrait is added to the character sheet? I made a PC without a portrait and the text was in the correct location, but after adding a picture the text is misalligned upwards.

Is this a new thing, or is there some sort of picture processing you're supposed to do to not cause the text to move?

No, haven't heard or seen that. Text should be the same either way. Can you send me a character with and without the portrait that demonstrates the issue, please?

Objector

Postby Objector » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi, longtime TOCG user, first time bug-poster. AWESOME program, thank you so much for doing this!

Was goofing around with Nile, chose Perk Super Attribute, selected Power enhancement, changed my mind and hit cancel.

I noticed the extra point in my Dex was retained. So I kept doing it to see what would happen.

Wound up with 4 extra points in Dex and was still able to chose 2 other perks. Screenshot below:
Attachments
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (31.78 KiB) Viewed 339 times

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Thank you for the bug report, Objector! I believe this is already fixed in the latest version. Please check to see that you have version 1.1.2.0 (Help menu -> About). If not, please download the latest.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”