Character Generator for Windows

TCArknight

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby TCArknight » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm having a couple of issues with 1.3.0.3 -
* When I try buying Leather Armor, the program crashes.
-- Brand new character, $1000 available, Armor tab, then by and select Leather Armor. program crashes.

* Submit bug report takes to new blank web page
-- Go to the Submit Bug Report menu option, when selected Chrome (my default browser) opens to the browser home page, but nothing else happens.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:07 am

TCArknight wrote:I'm having a couple of issues with 1.3.0.3 -
* When I try buying Leather Armor, the program crashes.
-- Brand new character, $1000 available, Armor tab, then by and select Leather Armor. program crashes.

* Submit bug report takes to new blank web page
-- Go to the Submit Bug Report menu option, when selected Chrome (my default browser) opens to the browser home page, but nothing else happens.

WHOOPS. :oops: My bad, the new version fixes that egregious error. It also adds complete stat blocks for spells, miracles, and psionic powers.

The bug report is a mailto: link. You probably don't have a mail client installed, if you're using gmail you can register it with Windows so the system knows what to do when you click on such things.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 am

I've also just added the ability to add in Success Levels to your spell, psi, miracle descriptions in version 1.3.1. You'll still have to enter that stuff into the CustomGameData.xml file, but once you've done that, the spell, etc. selection in the generator can look just like the book.

Here's an example using the Mind Blast from Preview #6:

If your CustomGameData.xml file looks like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TocgGameData>

<PsiPowers>

<PsiPower name="Mind Blast">
      <Description>Those who specialize in kinesis are best known for carnage and mayhem, but telepaths are not to be trifled with, either. Mind blast casts a wave of psychic energy at the psi’s foes that can stun the weak-willed. The power is unaffected by armor unless it has psychic protection somehow — consider only the target’s basic Toughness.

Success causes 12 non-lethal damage.</Description>
      <GoodSuccess>Damage +1BD.</GoodSuccess>
      <OutstandingSuccess>Damage +2BD.</OutstandingSuccess>
    </PsiPower>

</PsiPowers>

</TocgGameData>

This is what will show up in the program:

Just to reiterate, the latest version adds the capability to insert that info to your copy of the program. You still have to type or copy&paste it in yourself.

I think next I'm going to work on a sister application to edit the custom data without having to muck with the XML. That might take a while, though.

TCArknight

Postby TCArknight » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 am

Better and Better. :)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 am

A bump for my Character Generator now that everyone has gotten their books! Also a note that the latest version has implemented the cyberware/occultech items that incorporate weapons, along with vehicle weapons. Vehicle weapons are preset at this time, but some have different options for loadouts, according to their description in the core rules.

In both cases, the choice to select a weapon to be incorporated into your body or to select a weapons loadout for your vehicle is optional. For cyberware/occultech, the rules say the cost of the item or weapon is added to the cost of the implant, but personally I don't like how that means you'll probably be leaving money from the perk un-spent. So I didn't want to force the choice on the user. To that end, when you select the item in the window, there's a link at the bottom of the description that allows you to choose the item, if you want to. If you don't select anything, it won't complain.

If you do select a weapon or item, its cost will be added to the implants, as per the core rules.

For vehicles, it's assumed the cost of the weapons are already part of their price. Vehicle weapons aren't directly displayed anywhere in the generator, but can be seen if you export the character to text. I'm looking at adding a PDF character sheet for vehicles but that's still in the planning stages.

Good gaming!

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:03 pm

The latest version of the Character Generator has been updated with the core rulebook errata. I've also fixed some minor issues here and there.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am

I'm still working on the latest version of the Character Generator. My plan is to publish it after the LL texts have been finalized. Aside from various bug fixes (they never end!), I've added the ability to add custom one-off Special Abilities, which was needed to keep the game data files from exploding. You'll also be able to rename Special Abilities like you currently can with items, and a few other neat little features scattered throughout the application.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:53 pm

While I'm waiting on the final PDFs (and hopefully the Beta Primer!), I've started writing out how exactly to edit the data for the character generator, aimed at folks who don't know the first thing about XML. It starts here. I will be adding more sections as time permits, but a lot can be inferred just from what I already have posted.

TriceTheTraveller

Postby TriceTheTraveller » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 pm

This is all awesome stuff, I once had a passion for similar things but so much legal anxiety and threats of legal action certainly dissuaded me. I just run games now.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:23 am

The new version, 1.4.1, is now available here! It has almost all of the LL and Beta content for your characters! Also bug fixes and whatnot.

The following perks are currently not available:
Bluespine
Sprinter
Quick

Intense Training

while I work some things out. But I didn't want to hold up everything for this one perk those four perks.

EDIT: fixed the 1st three perks, onto the followers...

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”