Online Gaming

Gargoyle

Re: Online Gaming

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 am

Hobbes wrote:Exploding dice can also be done the old fashioned way. When a 10, 20 or 6 comes up, re-roll and add the number yourself. If for some reason that isn't acceptable you should be able to set up a table where 10=10+1d20, and 6=5+1d6. We just re-rolled and added things up, like you would do in person.

This is what I do, works fine, not slow, and I like rolling dice. I get that people want to make things as fast as possible, but this isn't an area that is slow. Explosions don't happen most of the time and when they do it's a simple matter to roll again manually.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TCArknight

Postby TCArknight » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 am

Nyarlathotep101 wrote:I have started a biweekly campaign. The card situtation isn't TOO bad if you take the "One card per page" version of the pdf, run it through a converter to make each page of the pdf a jpg and then drag and then build the deck from there (Roll20 has a tool to build decks). Took me about an hour to do the Drama deck, but only because I was taking my time, doing it while watching TV and such

What converter did you use?

Every one I've tried has blown the cards themselves into 4-5 different jpgs depending on the card. :( I'd love to find one to convert properly...

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 pm

In the past when I've needed to pull individual card images out of pdfs (usually for turning print-n-play board games into Tabletop Simulator mods, but it'll work just as well for roll20) I've used ImageMagick and Ghostscript. Maybe not the easiest method if you're not comfortable with command lines, but otherwise not too difficult. There're some example commands here and here.

Generally I'll play with the settings converting just one page until I get a quality/filesize that I'm happy with and then run it on the whole pdf(s).

GreenXLantern

Postby GreenXLantern » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Here's a sneak peak into my current Roll20 campaign. The boxes are action pools. The revolver type thing is for an Orrorsh PC that uses Bulletsmith. In Orrorsh I always use dynamic lighting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqbwg6z9tm41msc/preview.png

Marko

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:47 pm

TCArknight wrote:
Nyarlathotep101 wrote:I have started a biweekly campaign. The card situtation isn't TOO bad if you take the "One card per page" version of the pdf, run it through a converter to make each page of the pdf a jpg and then drag and then build the deck from there (Roll20 has a tool to build decks). Took me about an hour to do the Drama deck, but only because I was taking my time, doing it while watching TV and such

What converter did you use?

Every one I've tried has blown the cards themselves into 4-5 different jpgs depending on the card. :( I'd love to find one to convert properly...

Unfortunately, I do not remember. I'll poke through my browser history tonight and see if I can figure it out

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 pm

There are few tools that handle PDFs as well as Acrobat and the associated Adobe tools. Unfortunately, they arent cheap, though its a bit cheaper if you are a student. TRhe good news is you can license them for just a month then cancel your subscription.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 pm

I posted a thread on how to do all of this.

Getting a VTT to work with TORGe

Cards are very simple to import and all you have to have is PDF Converter. A free app for windows.

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:00 pm

It wasn't straightforward, but with some hacking I got OSX to convert the deck into image files using Automator, based on this page:
http://www.documentsnap.com/how-to-spli ... g-mac-osx/

I'll post my automator widget when I get home.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 am

We've had our first FG2 hosted game.
The Card mechanic maintenance is a bit clunky but it works, so far.
Really want to get something more like the Savage Worlds card deck extension working though.

The recording from the players viewpoint is here
https://youtu.be/UEJor-n9uuw

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Anyone have an online game that can use another player? I'm running a bi-weekly game in person but would love to also be able to play. Right now Im particualrly interested in creating a heavily modded Tharkholdu human with a bit of a dark attitude...

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”