Mixed Zones and Cosm Cards

Spatula

Mixed Zones and Cosm Cards

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:39 am

I was watching the Delphi Council GenCon game and got to thinking about mixed zones and cosm cards. (mild spoilers for the GenCon game to follow)
► Show Spoiler
Now, in the rule book, the things mentioned in the spoiler block cause mixed zones. And in mixed zones, players are supposed to be able to choose which cosm to get their cosm card from. This doesn't quite work for me, because from a player's point of view, some cosm cards are simply better than others. The Core Earth set is awesome for players, for example, with 8 or 9 of the 10 cards being pure unvarnished good things for the players to have. I don't know that I would pick another cosm over CE in most mixed zones. And if given a choice to not draw an Orrorsh card, well... I know what I would decide!

So my thought is that, as a house rule, it would be better to mandate that half the group has to pick cards from one cosm in a mixed zone, and one half from the other. With odd numbers of people, the last person can choose what they want. Just pick a random player to start and go in a circle until everyone has their card. That way there's the opportunity for both cosms to be "felt" by the players, which is (I think) as it should be.

What do you all think?

DerHuthmacher

Re: Mixed Zones and Cosm Cards

Postby DerHuthmacher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 am

I've thought about that, too.
If I'm not very mistaken (reading that passage in the CRB right now... wait for loading... done) the Core rules state that "both sets of World Laws are in effect [in a mixed zone]" so I am going to actually shuffle both cosm "decks" and let the players draw their card from this new stack.

So any player might end with any of the following combination:
- 3 cards of cosm A
- 2 cards of cosm A, one card of cosm B
- 1 card of cosm A, two cards of cosm B
- 3 cards of cosm B
Last edited by DerHuthmacher on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
Hell is where the heart is.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:23 am

DerHuthmacher wrote:I've thought about that, too.
If I'm not very mistaken (reading that passage in the CRB right now... wait for loading... done) the Core rules state that "both sets of World Laws are in effect [in a mixed zone]" so I am going to actually shuffle both cosm "decks" and let the players draw their cards from this new stack.

So any player might end with any of the following combination:
- 3 cards of cosm A
- 2 cards of cosm A, one card of cosm B
- 1 card of cosm A, two cards of cosm B
- 3 cards of cosm B

I'm confused. You only get one cosm card, so how are your players getting three?

DerHuthmacher

Postby DerHuthmacher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:03 am

Now I'm confused as well...

(reads again).

You are right. I mixed that up somehow.
---
Hell is where the heart is.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:16 am

If I'm not very mistaken (reading that passage in the CRB right now... wait for loading... done) the Core rules state that "both sets of World Laws are in effect [in a mixed zone]" so I am going to actually shuffle both cosm "decks" and let the players draw their card from this new stack.

Shuffling the two cosm decks is a great idea! And much quicker to deal with than asking people which card they want. Thumbs up!

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Spatula wrote:

Shuffling the two cosm decks is a great idea! And much quicker to deal with than asking people which card they want. Thumbs up!

Yeah, I like this better than the RAW, will be doing this.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Spatula wrote:I was watching the Delphi Council GenCon game and got to thinking about mixed zones and cosm cards. (mild spoilers for the GenCon game to follow)
► Show Spoiler
Now, in the rule book, the things mentioned in the spoiler block cause mixed zones. And in mixed zones, players are supposed to be able to choose which cosm to get their cosm card from. This doesn't quite work for me, because from a player's point of view, some cosm cards are simply better than others. The Core Earth set is awesome for players, for example, with 8 or 9 of the 10 cards being pure unvarnished good things for the players to have. I don't know that I would pick another cosm over CE in most mixed zones. And if given a choice to [b]not draw an Orrorsh card, well... I know what I would decide![/b]

Completely intentional the bolded section is. Core Earth is an ally, and a powerful ally she is. Mmmmmmmm, yes.

*cough*

As for how it happened in the Delphi Council game, it happened exactly as it was supposed to. ;)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Completely intentional the bolded section is. Core Earth is an ally, and a powerful ally she is. Mmmmmmmm, yes.

Sure, I don't have anything against the CE cards being awesome (though it's certainly something to keep in mind when designing encounters set there). My point was simply that because they are so great, I don't care for allowing players to pick which cosm to get a card from in mixed zones. If the cards are there to reinforce the feel of a reality, I would want both realities in such zones to be more or less equally represented.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:58 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Completely intentional the bolded section is. Core Earth is an ally, and a powerful ally she is. Mmmmmmmm, yes.

*cough*

As for how it happened in the Delphi Council game, it happened exactly as it was supposed to. ;)

I had no doubt of this, and I actually don't disagree with it at all for the RAW, it makes sense. But I think perhaps my rat-bastard GM style gravitates me toward a more random outcome and a more level playing field; you guys have really sold me on the cosm cards, especially the random aspect, so I think I'm still gonna house rule it. ;) Besides, when they do get a Core Earth card, it will reinforce that Core Earth is working hard to defend itself compared to the cards that others are getting.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 pm

Not exactly on topic, but related to the CE cards being "just better." In an online game, we started in Core Earth for basically just the mission briefing. But I drew a Rousing Speech and played it before we got anywhere for two free Possibilities for everyone. Getting your mission briefing in CE should be pretty common, and it feels a little weird to give the speech before heading out.

It looks like Rousing Speech is the only CE card with this issue. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking either don't start the act until you get to the main cosm, or add something like "Play only during rounds." to Rousing Speech.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”