Mixed Zones and Cosm Cards

ZorValachan

Re: Mixed Zones and Cosm Cards

Postby ZorValachan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Completely intentional the bolded section is. Core Earth is an ally, and a powerful ally she is. Mmmmmmmm, yes.

*cough*

As for how it happened in the Delphi Council game, it happened exactly as it was supposed to. ;)

I had no doubt of this, and I actually don't disagree with it at all for the RAW, it makes sense. But I think perhaps my rat-bastard GM style gravitates me toward a more random outcome and a more level playing field; you guys have really sold me on the cosm cards, especially the random aspect, so I think I'm still gonna house rule it. ;) Besides, when they do get a Core Earth card, it will reinforce that Core Earth is working hard to defend itself compared to the cards that others are getting.

I would agree. From the times I've ran with cosm cards, the group hedges their bets on what they 'think" is the better realm and will all go one or the other. On roll20, I think I might have them do even= realm A and odd=realm B.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm

I don't hand out Cosm cards until you're actually into the adventure.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:52 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I don't hand out Cosm cards until you're actually into the adventure.

This jives with the Day 30 Living Land demo adventure. Of course, there were no other cosm cards to hand out, so that's actually a moot point.

Still, the briefing of the mission on the USS Ronald Reagan is not cinematic at all. It's just an info dump where the PCs learn what they're supposed to do. Even when the PCs were taking a boat into New York, I wouldn't have even thought to give them Core Earth cards even if they did exist because the real drama happens when they cross over into Living Land.

Basically I can see a lot of intercalary scenes between acts where nothing mechanically is happening: no cosm cards, no act change, and even no Destiny cards. These are the clean-up scenes. These may be where a Storm Knight spends a few days catching up with a loved one or training for his new adds in Heavy Weapons.

As for Core Earth cards being preferred in Mixed Zones, I fully expect this to happen (except maybe in Nile). They are indeed powerful. This shows how weakened the High Lords' grips on the Mixed Zones are. And yeah, I intend to ratchet up the difficulty in those areas so that the group feels challenged. Dominant and Pure Zones are comfort areas for the High Lords. The Mixed Zones are hotly contested, and the High Lords are likely to invest some resources into flipping those. Expect some of the power villains to be sent there. They may be dealing with Core Earthers who can use their higher tech to their advantage.

I like the idea of shuffling both decks together, if only because I wish there were more than 10 cards in each cosm. Having 20 would give it a pretty good spread with fewer repeats. I'll stick with RAW for now, but I may consider making that a house rule.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:14 pm

I may have advocated at one point shuffling the two decks together.

Maybe.

:lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”