My Take on Torg Eternity

TorgHacker

Re: My Take on Torg Eternity

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
Rocketeer wrote:
ZorValachan wrote: F) OT Soak damage, 1 possibility = 3 packets (packet = 1 wound, 3 shock, or a K, O, or KO). TE reality roll is needed to figure out what you heal. Opinion: I wish it would have been something like 1 possibility = 2 packets (packet = 2 shock or 1 wound) and use the roll for Orrorsh and a failure loses a packet.

This is a major change in the rules. In OT, negating damage was something players could count on. As long as they had one Possibility, their characters could survive a big hit. In TE, the odds of soaking any damage at all are not good.

Using the TE Archetype characters as an example, their Reality skill values range from 8 to 12. Most of them would fail a Soak test at least 45% of the time, and even those with the highest skill value would fail about 30% of the time. And these numbers are assuming no negative modifiers, such as already being wounded or being Stymied.

Ouch, the math reveals just how much harder it can be to survive.

Only if you ignore Possibilities and Destiny cards.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

ZorValachan wrote:Quick post before work, so I can't go step by step right now.

On the soaking damage. I do like the idea of using reality as a skill. A house rule I had in OT was using a reality total to find the number of seconds a reality bubble would last (instead of a standard 15 min), with your turn being the minimum and the max being the adventure. so I do like the use of the skill for things other than disconnections and reality storms. I just think in a game where you have 3 possibilities as a norm, spending 2 to soak damage is harsh. As pointed out the standard DN went from 8 to 10 and base attributes are lower so that standard is much harder to do.

Cosm cards. They're there for a reason. If players aren't playing Cosm cards to get more Possibilities, then they're playing on Hard Mode.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:52 pm

BTW, the reason for the change in soaking damage was that during playtesting we found that players practically never took Wounds.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:
Rocketeer wrote:
This is a major change in the rules. In OT, negating damage was something players could count on. As long as they had one Possibility, their characters could survive a big hit. In TE, the odds of soaking any damage at all are not good.

Using the TE Archetype characters as an example, their Reality skill values range from 8 to 12. Most of them would fail a Soak test at least 45% of the time, and even those with the highest skill value would fail about 30% of the time. And these numbers are assuming no negative modifiers, such as already being wounded or being Stymied.

Ouch, the math reveals just how much harder it can be to survive.

Only if you ignore Possibilities and Destiny cards.

But they had that in oTorg too, or do you mean that they have more possibilities and destiny cards at their disposal in TorgE? It's not a problem for me, I think you've tuned it right (or at least to my tastes with a standard sized group), but this does seems like an apple to apple comparison unless I'm missing something.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Yes, Possibilities are definitely used more 'offensively' to boost rolls than they were in Original Torg. They were usually hoarded and saved for soaking damage, negating enemy Possibilities, and for advancement.

I often went entire sessions in Original Torg without having someone spend a Possibility to roll again, and usually that was either to do a finishing move or to try for a Glory result.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:45 pm

On a more extreme note, I had someone trying to save up Possibilities to buy a 13 DEX. He quit when I dropped a ravagon on him and stripped him of half his Possibilities. :cry:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Rabbitball wrote:On a more extreme note, I had someone trying to save up Possibilities to buy a 13 DEX. He quit when I dropped a ravagon on him and stripped him of half his Possibilities. :cry:

Definitely a good reason not to encourage hoarding.

I'm a bit atypical, I roll dice in front of the screen and had only a few problems with individuals hoarding possibilities. They either spent them or died.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Players in my oTorg game spend them to boost rolls all the time. I guess every table is different.

(GJN is also proving to be a complete non-issue for us - we're glad to see it's proving to be a corner-case that doesn't live up to its reputation.)

I have yet to play or run Eternity (might be doing chargen this week, though) so I have no real input at the moment. I have been wondering about the potential for cosm cards to interfere with adventure structure, though, specifically the ones that insert encounters and/or side-treks into the game. How have those panned out in actual play or playtesting?
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Just addressing the OP for a moment: while a lot of your observations are fascinating (and I agree with some of them), none of your OT preferences automatically make TE less suited for long campaigns. If I'm reading right, you seem to be of the opinion that long campaigns require more fiddly rules bits and subsystems for players to engage with. I don't find that at all, and I don't really play with anyone who does (there was one guy, but he ultimately found our group frustrating). Some of us like less complexity in a game for the sake of focusing on other things than mechanical subsystems, not because it's a one-shot and we need to get to the action now.

Maybe you're just talking about your personal preferences still, but it seems to me that you and I have very different assumptions about what a long campaign needs, because I don't see anything inherent in long-term play that TE is lacking or inferior to OT in.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Kamelion wrote:
(GJN is also proving to be a complete non-issue for us - we're glad to see it's proving to be a corner-case that doesn't live up to its reputation.)

I've had it happen but in a good way for the players. There was a villain with a massive dodge score and a ton of Possibilities but was so arrogant that he would let a Possibility go through unnegated once in a while. A +45 on the Possibility roll gave him more wounds than he could soak effectively and he perished.

Kamelion wrote:I have yet to play or run Eternity (might be doing chargen this week, though) so I have no real input at the moment. I have been wondering about the potential for cosm cards to interfere with adventure structure, though, specifically the ones that insert encounters and/or side-treks into the game. How have those panned out in actual play or playtesting?

The only real problem I have had is with time. I try to finish an act per session, but adding encounters can change that significantly.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”