House Rule: Optional Bonus Dice

jhosmer1

House Rule: Optional Bonus Dice

Postby jhosmer1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:28 am

One of my players really does not like Bonus Dice (especially since he seems to roll 1s more than is statistically possible), so I created this House Rule:

When the rules call for the player to roll Bonus Dice, they may choose to substitute a flat +3* to damage for each Bonus Die.

*+4 if they have the Trademark Weapon.

Personally, I love how Bonus Dice can make an unlikely hit into a one-shot kill, but some players prefer a sure thing, and I want everyone to have fun.

I originally had it a flat +2, but my players thought this was too low.

Thoughts?

Gargoyle

Re: House Rule: Optional Bonus Dice

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 am

I think it's a good house rule, the dice can be cruel. The amounts are correct for the averages.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:13 am

I'd be wary of things with high toughness being more of a challenge without the possibility of exploding dice.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 am

fougerec wrote:I'd be wary of things with high toughness being more of a challenge without the possibility of exploding dice.

That's really only a problem if they absolutely need exploding dice to cause enough damage. If that's the case, they're in trouble anyway and should probably find another way to solve their problem. And with transparency , they would know if they had to have exploding dice to be successful, and the house rule above allows them the choice of either rolling or taking the average, so they're not screwed at all, they have the same chance as before.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 am

I'm not really thinking of it as a problem or needing exploding dice just that some opponents will be more challenging without rolling and it's something to keep in mind when designing encounters.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:31 pm

It could diminish some of the drama.

Say you are fighting something with TOU of 12. Your damage is 14. You know that you can just take the +3 and guarantee a wound. With the current system, hitting someone with a Good result has a 1/3 chance of failing to drop the villain. An Outstanding result would even have a 1/36 chance in this example.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. How often do you have battles matched up perfectly where damage is 2 over the TOU? Actually, pretty often since you probably have a spectrum of different damage values, so at least one character is going to be within that range. But it would vary on who is within that zone.

And since the expected value of the bonus die is 4, setting it at +3 is a little bit lower. Due to transparency, I don't feel that +2 is too low since you can guarantee a wound if your damage is just 3 over their TOU.

But the important thing is that if the players have that ability, so does the GM. And that can dangerous. It's the nature of the game for the PCs to be outnumbered, so there are more opportunities for a villain to add the static value and do a wound to the PC. They might welcome the chance of 1s at that point.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Even under Toughness by -5 (iirc) is 1 shock on a hit. It can add up.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Kuildeous wrote:But the important thing is that if the players have that ability, so does the GM. And that can dangerous. It's the nature of the game for the PCs to be outnumbered, so there are more opportunities for a villain to add the static value and do a wound to the PC. They might welcome the chance of 1s at that point.

Ah but that's not necessarily true. The house rule doesn't specify that, and there's nothing wrong with having different rules for players. Players have cards to play for instance, so it's not like everything has to be symmetrical. I would have no intention of using the average bonus as a GM because I'd rather not have the appearance of trying to kill them. "The dice did it!"
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm

As written, the player can still choose to roll BD if they like. They're aren't locked in to one way or the other.

As GM, I plan to keep rolling them. I love the look on the PC's face when they say, "The Shocktrooper did HOW much damage?" :lol:

Seriously, though, this is just for those players who hate the BD and prefer a dependable modifier, like my player. Rule Number One, Have Fun!

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”