Full Living Land Kickstarter Preview

Gargoyle

Re: Full Living Land Kickstarter Preview

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:25 pm

utsukushi wrote:Soo... I've been kind of staying out of this thread on purpose, but I've also been kind of turning this over in my head;

TorgHacker wrote:Kickstarters are part pre-sales, part 'what would people like to buy' experiments, and part events. This is the first cosm Kickstarter we're doing for Torg Eternity, so there's going to be a bit of getting a feel for what the market wants and is willing to pay money for. As much as I'd LOVE to think everyone would buy the Survival Box for every cosm, or buy the GM screens for every cosm, or Possibility chips for every cosm, I totally understand if some don't want to.

And that's a good point, and people staying quiet to be polite doesn't give US any feedback, almost by definition.

So here's where I'm at: I totally want to get the box. I want to get All The Boxes, and I've tried telling myself, like Gargoyle, that this can be, like, my one collector thing and I can force it into my budget somehow.

I told myself that, then started doing some financial planning for the upcoming months, and my budget and common sense told me otherwise. :( Had to drop my pledge to the LL Player's. I could afford the survival box and certainly wanted it, but I've got a lot of upcoming expenses and goals of paying off some debts, and it just wasn't do-able. So in my case, yeah, these cosm kickstarters placed the premium boxes out of my reach. I didn't want a lot of extra LL stuff and not be able to afford the same amount of goodies for other cosms, so I'm just sticking with the books for now.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:17 pm

I get $320 a month to sell plasma...

Just trying to help.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I've been assuming that the standees will be sent to everyone as PDFs as they were with the previous Kickstarter, is this correct?

I recently printed the core set on 4x6 index cards and they are much easier to read, so I would like to do that again.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:58 pm

99% sure.

I haven't been told they're not.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Jim wrote:The Survival Box, for me, isn't what I hoped for, but what I was afraid would happen. I absolutely accept that its a good value. The fact remains that it's a supplement package that costs as much as the Core Game and that sort of expenditure is not sustainable. On a bad day, I question why I'm getting a Survival Box, because it sends a contrary message. I suppose I really want the books, the chips, and the new deck. After a point it becomes, why the hell not just get the box?

But, yes, I'm excited to see the Living Land project as a whole too. I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm for it. In future Realm Kickstarters, I'd like to see a tighter product focus and a lower price point. I'm not against the box itself, but I'd like to see it stick to more essentials and come down in price.

fougerec wrote:I'd be happy if the box(es) focused exclusively on the new things. No dice, no reprinted token sheets, no printed fiction that we already have. It's a cosm box and IMO it should focus only on the cosm specific items. Even the GM screen (which I love the art on) and CD fit in that concept.

I think these are good valid points.

I’m currently backing the Kickstarter at the Survival Box level, but I continue to re-evaluate that decision. Not just because of the cost, but because there are so many things included in the box that will be of little personal value to myself. This makes it appear as if I’m paying for things I don’t want, even if the overall value of the box remains good. However, I do want the Survival Box exclusive Threat Cards. So, in the end, I’ll probably stay at the Survival Box level.

And a note concerning the boxes themselves. The Cargo Box looks great and is a sturdy box, but I still haven’t found a practical use for it. So, as cool as the boxes are likely to be, they’ll probably just end up collecting dust in the attic. If each subsequent Cosm box were a little bigger than the previous one, then they could be placed one inside the other, like Russian Dolls. That would at least make them easier to store.

The following are the kinds of items that I hope will be moved from the Box level to Add-Ons in future Kickstarters.

Dice: I bought all the dice I wanted the first time around.

Posters: I don’t have the wall space for things like this, so I already have several posters that have never been displayed.

Novelette: Generally, I haven’t found game associated novels, novelettes, or short stories to be very useful as far as the game is concerned. However, they occasionally provide general entertainment value.

Threat Blips: I tried using the blips in a game session, but due to the darkness of the illustrations and the printing, some blips could only be readily identified by the titles. For these blips, using generic tokens, such as poker chips or glass beads would have worked just as well. Also, the printing error limited the selection of some common threats (e.g. Gospog). In their current form, the blips are not really that useful to me.

They might be of more use, if they were a bit larger and made more like wargame counters, with game information (e.g. main attack values, defenses, etc.) printed directly on the counter. Also, if the flip side of the blips illustrated the same threat but had different colors or markings, then they could be used to indicate a change in status (e.g. which ones were being effected by a particular game effect, such as a magic spell).

Status Markers: These markers are useful, but I haven’t found that I need more than what I already have.

Character Journal: I bought 2 packs of character journals on the first Kickstarter, and I simply don’t need more. However, I wouldn’t mind another pad of tear-off character sheets.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm in a similar boat to Rocketeer, although a few details are different. I'm excited about the novelette, except I've already read it. I actually want more dice as I am thinking of giving a set to each of my players. I'd like smaller box that I could use for carrying stuff to game night. I don't need another pad of character sheets, but I wouldn't mind more cosm specific journals.

But for the big one remains, I kind of want the leather bound book, but I can't justify adding it to the box.

Also, I have a small space and packrat tendencies, so I could see an advantage to never getting the posters etc. That might then take up shelf space and be hard for me to give or throw away.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the survival box pledge level, but then actually changing to the PDF only pledge and using the extra money for the leather book, the maps, and the things I really want hardcopy of. It will also save me shipping, probably.

I think the box is good value, I just am more interested in a bunch of things that aren't in it than some of the things that are.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Blank Threat Standees? Aren't those just index cards? Looks you guys have run out of ideas...

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Blank Threat Standees? Aren't those just index cards? Looks you guys have run out of ideas...

***COUGH***

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2241&p=20333&hilit=blank+threat#p20333

LexAmissa wrote:Just got the Cargo Box in California. Fantastic quality. I don't know why but I had assumed the books (other than the Core Rules) would be soft cover. Was really happy to see them all hardcover. All the accessories were great.

Quick question for Dean: Is it possible for U:NA to release a blank form fillable Threat Card in pdf? It would be really nice to be able to be able to make threat cards for npcs / creatures that didn't come in the core set or for ones that are custom made by the GM. Just the basic framework with the ability to insert a background picture and fill in the name and stat boxes with numbers and add text on the GM side.?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Lmao

Touche Deanna. I guess I should shut up and suggest things myself.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”