Which oTorg books should I take with me?

Brandon_C

Which oTorg books should I take with me?

Postby Brandon_C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am

I'm going to visit a friend for several weeks and I am thinking of running TE at the FLGS. I am thinking of taking a few of my oTorg books for additional creatures, equipment and location descriptions. However, I can only pack a few and have decided to limit myself to three books.

I won't take Space Gods, since they won't show up for awhile (if at all). Nippon Tech and Orrorsh have changed too much.

This leaves Asyle, Cyberpapacy, Nile Empire, Living Land, and Tharkold. I am leaning towards the first three, although I can see reasons for the last two.

Gargoyle

Re: Which oTorg books should I take with me?

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:58 pm

If you're asking which three realms I think you should run, I'd say Cyberpapacy, Living Land, and Nile Empire. To me those are the iconic settings for Torg. But since you're running the game, I'd just bring whatever matches what you like and/or plan to run.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:02 pm

I take it you weren't able to get in on the Kickstarter and get the digital copies for free?

I would definitely suggest Creatures of Aysle, Orrorsh, and Tharkold. They'll give you plenty of ideas of threats you can put into TE. The realm sourcebooks are good for other creatures. After all, Cyberpapacy has creatures and other threats. Nile has animals and walking gods. I'd say Nippon is the only sourcebook you couldn't use well. Most of their threats are mundane, and you pull those from the core book.

Got some favorite adventures? I liked Crucible of Pain, but it doesn't have to be a Nile research facility, though Nile does make sense with the reality bombs. It could be a psychological horror ripped out of Pan Pacifica or Tharkold. The big threat behind it can still remain the same which is why it's more horrific than Pan Pacifica normally allows.

And the various adventure anthologies could be good. I found Cassandra Files and Queenswrath to be really sparse, but they can still provide plenty of ideas. Some adventures are less relevant than others (e.g., City of Angels).

Oh, and Land Below can provide you with plenty of wonders.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm

The creatures in the base Aysle book are very standard fantasy. I would second the recommendation to just bring the Creatures of books instead, assuming you have those.

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Kuildeous wrote:I take it you weren't able to get in on the Kickstarter and get the digital copies for free?

No, I wasn't.

To clarify, the only "Creatures of" book I have is for Orrorsh and I have no adventures.

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Gargoyle wrote:If you're asking which three realms I think you should run, I'd say Cyberpapacy, Living Land, and Nile Empire. To me those are the iconic settings for Torg. But since you're running the game, I'd just bring whatever matches what you like and/or plan to run.

Living Land, once the TE changes are implemented, is much more playable (more accurately, is stops being unplayable). So yes, it instead of Ayslle, makes sense.

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:22 am

For the handful of people interested ;) I decided to go with Cyberpapacy, Living Land and Nile Empire.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Gargoyle wrote:If you're asking which three realms I think you should run, I'd say Cyberpapacy, Living Land, and Nile Empire. To me those are the iconic settings for Torg. But since you're running the game, I'd just bring whatever matches what you like and/or plan to run.

Completely Agree.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”