Share your Torg Eternity characters and archetypes!

mystic101

Re: Share your Torg Eternity characters and archetypes!

Postby mystic101 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:54 pm

xconifer wrote:I am a huge fan of the Mystery Men movie from the late 90's. The whole thing seems perfect for the Nile Empire.

. . . .

Mr. Furious (Roy)
Well, I am a ticking time bomb of fury.

Cosm: Nile Empire (Magic: 14, Social: 20, Spirit: 18, Tech: 20)

Puting it in Torg terms, I think there's a strong argument in favor of Mr. Furious being from Core Earth instead of the Nile.

Besides the obvious not-having-superpowers thing, there's the fact that he's just way too self-aware of the pulp-style tropes that surround him. He comments about them pretty much as an outsider would, with an outsider's meta-awareness. And none of the other characters, be they friend or foe, really grok what he's saying. We do, of course, we Core Earth audience members, but the rest of the cast is too caught up in "the way things are" (under pulp reality) to truly understand.

My Archetype submission to the Nile kickstarter, The Fire Dancer, is a bit like that. She's a Core Earther working as a Mystery Woman. Someone who understands the Nile's tropes well enough to be perceived as fitting in with them, but who secretly, actually doesn't. I can imagine Mr. Furious being similar.

In fact, I think it makes the film a stronger Torg movie, if we think of him as explicitly (to the audience) operating under a different axiomatic worldview than those around him, as opposed to all cast members being both within the Nile, and also all from the Nile. No clash of realities that way.

And I think there's definitely a clash of realities going on in Mystery Men . . . even if it's only the audience members who are ultimately aware of it.

xconifer

Postby xconifer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:52 am

Puting it in Torg terms, I think there's a strong argument in favor of Mr. Furious being from Core Earth instead of the Nile.

Wow, that's good. I like that a lot. That's why he can see that Lance Hunt is Captain Amazing. OK, back to the drawing board...

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue May 07, 2019 4:40 pm

The Creative Anachronist, Starting PC

For some reason I have a hard time coming up with meat-shield types for Core Earth that I don't have with other cosms. That led to this archetype, a humdrum computer professional who devoted their free time, pre-invasion, to the SCA (the Society for Creative Anachronism). When the invaders came, this character already had a fitted suit of armor made by an actual blacksmith, several steel weapons, and a little knowledge in how to use them. The character is similar to a knight from Aysle, minus the magic, but different in that they have access to Reality perks and is very skilled with computers. Undoubtedly they would be enthused to get to use actual magic items when going to Aysle, which is part of the reason for the Realm Runner perk, so that enchanted items could be used more easily.

Cosm: Core Earth (Magic: 9, Social: 23, Spirit: 10, Tech: 23)
Attributes: Charisma 7, Dexterity 7, Mind 8, Spirit 8, Strength 10
Skills: Computers 11, dodge 8, maneuver 9, melee weapons 9, missile weapons 9, reality 10, scholar 10, trick 10
Interactions: Intimidation 8, maneuver 9, taunt 7, trick 10
Dodge Defense: 10 (2); Melee: 11 (2); Unarmed: 9 (2)
Move: 7 (21); Tough: 13 (3); Shock: 8; Wounds: 3
Equipment: .38 Revolver (Damage 12, Ammo 6, Range 10/25/40, Small), Flares (x2), Katana (Strength +3/13), Medium Shield (Def +2, Min Str 8+), Plate Mail (Tough +3, Max Dex 8, Min Str 10+, Fatigues, Full Body), Shield Bash (Strength +1/11)
Perks: Bodyguard (1/turn, take hit meant for nearby ally), Realm Runner (Ignore 4 points of reality penalties when reconnecting. Ignore 1st disconnection each act)
Possibilities: 3

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue May 07, 2019 11:06 pm

I like it. A lot. :D

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri May 31, 2019 7:30 pm

The Televangelist, Starting PC

How about a character who I would probably not like very much in real life...

You were a prominent TV preacher, before. You rose to the top by being fierce and uncompromising, and by your knack for delivering real barn-burner sermons. You often said the decadence of modern life was going to be the end of America. You just never thought you'd actually see that end, or that it would take the form that it has!

But you're a fighter, and a man of God, and an American, and there was no way you were going to take this assault laying down. Luckily you were on your ranch when the invasion happened, and were able to get away with your family, your horses, and your guns. The family is now safe in one of your other homes that's outside the invasion zone, but that won't last if the lizards aren't pushed back. It's your job to go out and protect your people, to be the shepherd to the flock.

While helping refugees and leading attacks, you were just about as surprised as anyone else when your prayers started to actually work! Not that you ever doubted in the power of prayer, but you were used to a God who moved in more mysterious ways. You became even more engrossed in scripture and unlocked even greater miracles. It was just more proof that you're the man for this hour, one of God's chosen, entrusted with His power so that you can lead the masses against the heathen lizards and send them packing.

Attributes: Charisma 10, Dexterity 6, Mind 8, Spirit 10, Strength 6
Skills: Beast riding 7, dodge 9, faith 12, intimidation 12, persuasion 13, reality 11, scholar 10, taunt 12
Interactions: Intimidation 12, maneuver 6, taunt 12, trick 8
Dodge Defense: 9; Melee: 6; Unarmed: 6
Move: 6 (18); Tough: 7 (1); Shock: 10; Wounds: 3
Equipment: .308 Hunting Rifle (Damage 14, Ammo 10, Range 80/160/320, Two Handed), .38 Revolver (Damage 12, Ammo 6, Range 10/25/40, Small), Leather Jacket (Tough +1, Max Dex 12, Torso), Sunglasses
Perks: Miracles (Christianity [fire and brimstone]; captivate, repel, ward enemy), Religious Scholar (banish, bounty, curse, walk on water)

Horse
Tech: 3; Top Speed: 50 mph (11) Fast; Passengers: 1; MR: 0; Size: Normal; Wounds: 1; Tough: 13

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:01 pm

The Curious Buddhist, Starting PC

This character was inspired by a friend of mine who is a computers guy and a devout Zen Buddhist. Unlike most "faith" characters, Spirit isn't the character's highest attribute - the character is a scholar and intellectual first and foremost (but still a very spiritual person). The miracle selection doesn't have any overt effects, save perhaps for soothe, but that could be explained away as merely buoying spirits. Anyway, the character is useful as support and a knowledge skills kind of person.

Attributes: Charisma 7, Dexterity 7, Mind 10, Spirit 9, Strength 7
Skills: Computers 12, dodge 8, evidence analysis 12, faith 12, find 12, first aid (F) 10, reality 10, scholar 13, science 12
Interactions: Intimidation 9, maneuver 7, taunt 7, trick 10
Dodge Defense: 9; Melee: 7; Unarmed: 7
Move: 7 (21); Tough: 10 (3); Shock: 9; Wounds: 3
Equipment: First Aid Kit (First Aid is Favored), Mobile Phone, Multi-Tool, Stab Vest (Tough +3, Max Dex 10, Torso), Staff (Strength +2/9, Two Handed), Sunglasses
Perks: Religious Scholar (Buddhism; dream, meditation, soothe, yin and yang), Vow of Nonviolence (Can only attack in self-defense, -2 to make physical attacks, spend Possibilities to lower attacker's test)
Last edited by Spatula on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:06 am

The Ahnold, Starting PC

Alright, last one before I stop avoiding what I really should be doing.

This is based on Schwarzenegger obviously, mostly on his mid-80's Commando/Predator roles. It's hard to give the character all the skills (and weapons!) they should have, so sacrifices had to be made until some XP can be built up. For perks I gave him Guns Blazing, because out of all the entry-level shooting perks I don't think there's a more fitting one, and Tenacious because The Ahnold can stand out in the open while getting shot at with machine guns and walk away unscathed. Between that, max adds in reality, and an obscene Toughness, this character is hard to hurt.

Priorities for advancement would be to bring the lower attributes up, especially Dexterity, fortify his Interaction defenses, and pick up some unarmed perks like Brawler and maybe Wrestler. And naturally, getting fire combat, unarmed combat, and reality up to 5 ranks.

Attributes: Charisma 6, Dexterity 7, Mind 6, Spirit 8, Strength 13
Skills: Dodge 9, fire combat 10, intimidation 11, missile weapons 9, reality 11, unarmed combat 10
Interactions: Intimidation 11, maneuver 7, taunt 6, trick 6
Dodge Defense: 9; Melee: 7; Unarmed: 10
Move: 7 (21); Tough: 17 (4); Shock: 8; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Ammo Belt (Includes 5 reloads or 50 bullets), Armor Piercing Ammo (Armor Piercing 2; Item: M-16), Ballistic/Kevlar Vest (Tough +4, Max Dex 10, Fatigues, Torso), Cigar and Lighter, Combat Knife (Strength +1/14, Thrown), F1 Grenade (x3) (Damage 16, Ammo 1, Range 10/20/30, Medium Blast), M-16 (Damage 13, Ammo 30, Range 50/100/200, Long Burst, Two Handed, Armor Piercing 2), Sunglasses, Unarmed Strike (Strength +0/13)
Perks: Guns Blazing (Reduce Malfunction from Rapid Fire by 1, minimum 1), Tenacious (Soak tests are Favored)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Vatican Investigator, Starting PC

This is a sort of Core Earth religious detective and support character that leans into the idea that Core Earth was already a strange place in the margins, before the war. I also like the idea of this Catholic priest running around in a bullet-proof vest with a backpack of useful items and a gun that he'll only use against non-people things.

Once the character has gotten some XP, it has some tricks it can play with the Destiny cards - starting with a pool of 1 (Situational Awareness) or 2 if outnumbered (Longshot), and the ability to spend a Possibility to get another card and possibly give one to another player (Ingenious).

----

Before reality was invaded, you were an investigator for the Vatican, looking into rumors of miracles and demonic possession. You were good at your job, and had even had the privilege - or the curse - of seeing evidence of the supernatural a few times. To many, the old tales of exorcisms and bleeding statues were conjured from the minds of pre-scientific thinkers trying to make sense of the world around them. And perhaps that was true of some of those stories. But you've seen events that science could not explain. And you've seen God's power protect you in times of need.

When reports and videos of actual winged devils started showing up in western Europe, you were sent to look into them. It had to be a hoax, you thought, but then strange events were occurring all over the world. The stories of demons were real, it turned out, as were the rumors of bizarre "cyber" priests that would strike the creatures down and give credit to a false Pope. While as near as you could tell it was all really happening, it also felt staged to you.

And then that false Pope, Jean Malraux, descended from the clouds above Avignon on a shaft of light, and everything changed.

The Vatican, desperate to combat the "High Lords" that have invaded your Earth, have loaned you out to the Delphi Council, an organization formed for just that purpose. You catalogue the manifestations of spiritual and magical power that the invaders have brought with them, and report your findings to Rome when you can.

Going out into the field now often means stepping into a warzone, and so you come prepared. And while you carry a gun, you've vowed to only use it against devils (and monsters, and robots, and other non-soul-having things). God is still watching over and protecting you.

Attributes: Charisma 8, Dexterity 7, Mind 10, Spirit 9, Strength 6
Skills: Dodge 9, evidence analysis 12, faith 12, find 12, first aid (F) 12, persuasion 10, reality 10, scholar 12
Interactions: Intimidation 9, maneuver 7, taunt 8, trick 10
Dodge Defense: 9; Melee: 7; Unarmed: 7
Move: 7 (21); Tough: 10 (4); Shock: 9; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Backpack, binoculars, crucifix, first aid kit (First Aid is Favored), flashlight, Glock 9mm (Damage 13, Ammo 15, Range 10/25/40), handcuffs, Kevlar vest (Tough +4, Max Dex 10, Fatigues, Torso), lighter, nylon rope (10 meters), rosary beads, spectacles, walkie-talkie (x2)
Perks: Miracles (Christianity [Prince of Peace]; holy water, repel, ward enemy), Situational Awareness (1/scene, play card from hand to pool)

Advancement
⦁ Religious Scholar perk (banish, healing) [5 XP]
Dodge +1, reality +1 [5 XP]
Willpower +2 [3 XP]
⦁ Prodigy perk [7 XP]
Unarmed combat +1 [1 XP]
⦁ Ingenious perk [9 XP]
Faith +1, fire combat +1 [5 XP]
Scholar +1, trick +1 [4 XP]
⦁ Longshot perk [11 XP]

Other Perks To Get: Exorcist, Deduction, Protected, Negation, Fortified by Faith, Vow of Nonviolence... there are lots to fit the concept.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:54 am

Archetype_Blightwalker_Elf
Cosm: Tharkold (Magic: 12, Social: 25, Spirit: 4, Tech: 25)
Attributes: Charisma 6, Dexterity 10, Mind 8, Spirit 8, Strength 8
Skills: Dodge 12, find 9, intimidation 9, maneuver 11, melee weapons 11, missile weapons 13, reality 9, science 9, stealth 11, survival (F) 10, tracking 9, unarmed combat 11
Interactions: Intimidation 9, maneuver 11, taunt 6, trick 8
Dodge Defense: 12; Melee: 11; Unarmed: 11
Move: 12 (36); Tough: 10 (2); Shock: 8; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Climbing Gear (Can use Dexterity instead of Strength to climb), Electric Longbow (Damage 13, Ammo 1, Range 20/40/80, Min Str 6+, Armor Piercing 2), Flares (x2), IriMesh Clothing (Tough +2), Machete (Strength +2/10, Survival is Favored), Multi-Tool, Nylon Rope, 10 meters, Pain Gauntlet (Strength +1/9, Painful, Stagger), Petrol Bomb (x2) (Damage 14, Ammo 1, Range 10/20/30, Medium Blast, Fire), Quiver/Quarrel, Radiation Detector (+4 Find radioactive), Rock Bolo (x2) (Strength +1/9, Ammo 1, Range 10/20/30, Grapple), Vav Sensation Suppressor (Take -1 Shock regardless of cause), Thav Radiation Filter MK II (Heal radiation Wounds normally), Chod Rabbitjack MK II (+2 Move, can jump x2 speed and become Vulnerable)
Perks: Occultech Implants, Sniper (When using Aim with ranged attack, gain +1 BD)
Special Abilities:
Darkvision: Ignore 4 points of darkness penalties.
Graceful: Dexterity tests are Favored.
Magical Affinity: +1 Shock on Fatigue when Magic less than 12.

Overview
You were an Ayslish elf who came along with Lady Ardinay, but you saw some hard luck and wandered into the Blasted Land.
You met some unfamiliar threat like occultech abominations and radioactive hot spots, and barely survived with some help of rugged local humans.
The cruel wasteland of Tharkold has renewed your understanding about the evil of the High Lords, and the struggling survivors have shown you the possibilities worth fighting for.

"Judging from what I've heard about him, calling him The Wolf doesn't sound fair. Wolves are, generally speaking, noble beasts."

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:41 pm

I've been creating a good handful of Storm Knights and posting them to my own site, so here's a rundown of what I have. I'm including the few that I already posted in this thread, both for completeness and because I've updated them:

Uraz Thirty-Eight (Tharkold)

A thrall, bred for telepathy and kitted-out with occultech. A deadly assassin, used as a tool by the Technodemons until the Moscow incident showed them that escape was an option. Now they're learning to care and trying to turn their sociopathically faked emotions into real ones.

Rufus Undertree (Aysle)

A Keefee explorer who traveled from Merretika to Aysle through the Land Below, and promptly transformed. (See, who says you can't have hobbits in Aysle?) A circle of Shali-worshiping theomagicians took him in, and now he fights in her name with faith and spellcraft.

Emmett Samuel Huffman (Core Earth)

A former Virginian librarian who struggled with schizoaffective disorder and became homeless, spurred to action by the Takta Ker incursion. While not the most stable Storm Knight, his confidence, energy, and command of Reality have helped him lead several Knights to improbable victory.

Samira Hamas (Core Earth)

When the High Lords invaded she was a religious studies student in Beirut, Lebanon. She became a guerrilla and saboteur to protect her city, and found that Allah approved, blessing her with the ability to slip into places, get what she needed, and escape. Yep, she's a holy burglar.

Ander Elizondo (Cyberpapacy)

A gang leader in Bilbao, Spain, captured by the Cyberpapacy and brainwashed into being a cyber-enforcer. His implanted weaponry, expertise with complex gear, and knowledge of the street served them well, but now it better serves the Delphi Council who freed him from their "holy" control.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”