GenCon2019

Gargoyle

GenCon2019

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Since passes go on sale tomorrow, wondering who is going? I will be going this year. I go now and then, it's the sort of thing I enjoy every few years, mostly to meet friends, walk through the exhibition hall, buy stuff, play demos, and play and run games in the hotel. I don't think I've ever signed up for events other than seminars or even bought generic tickets.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

mystic101

Re: GenCon2019

Postby mystic101 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:09 am

I'll be going.

It was my first time attending a Gen-Con. First time going to any major convention at all, actually, and maybe I got lucky but the whole thing was a blast. I filled the days morning to night with lots of different gaming events, and they were all fun. No more than minor hiccups here or there for a rare few, and no duds at all in the bunch.

I'm willing to meet up with fellow forumites while there, either informally, or at one of the scheduled Torg sessions, or even some other event altogether. Feel free to PM about it.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 am

Unfortunately, Gen Con's just gotten too big for us. The inability to rely on the hotel lottery puts enough uncertainty in our scheduling that we can't properly plan for it.

We will be going to Origins though. I did run some Torg at last year's Origins, and I think I will do the same thing this year. Good luck to everyone at Gen Con though. It is fun, just not for us anymore.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 am

Kuildeous wrote:Unfortunately, Gen Con's just gotten too big for us. The inability to rely on the hotel lottery puts enough uncertainty in our scheduling that we can't properly plan for it.

We will be going to Origins though. I did run some Torg at last year's Origins, and I think I will do the same thing this year. Good luck to everyone at Gen Con though. It is fun, just not for us anymore.

This is the main reason I don't go more often. Too many people, not enough hotels, etc. I have a friend who is putting me up in his room; I told him "no I can pay my own way!" Then he reminded me that I put him up in the year 2000. I had forgotten about that. So I accepted and I'm going mostly to see him and meet Deanna and some other U.S. folks.

And I'll be running and playing Torg Eternity, probably in the hotel or some free table at the con. Would be happy to have some forum folks at my table if I have room (and I probably will) or to play in some other folks' games. Will have to figure out the logistics when we get closer.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 am

I'll be there. Love to play some Torg while I'm there.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:46 pm

I loved GenCon when I went (many years ago, it was in Milwaukee if that gives you any idea how long ago). But these days I find the smaller conventions are the more enjoyable ones. If I don’t have to stand in a queue for an hour or shuffle around booths behind a herd, it’s much less stress and I enjoy it ten times as much.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:39 am

Gargoyle wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:Unfortunately, Gen Con's just gotten too big for us. The inability to rely on the hotel lottery puts enough uncertainty in our scheduling that we can't properly plan for it.

This is the main reason I don't go more often. Too many people, not enough hotels, etc. I have a friend who is putting me up in his room; I told him "no I can pay my own way!" Then he reminded me that I put him up in the year 2000. I had forgotten about that. So I accepted and I'm going mostly to see him and meet Deanna and some other U.S. folks.

And I'll be running and playing Torg Eternity, probably in the hotel or some free table at the con. Would be happy to have some forum folks at my table if I have room (and I probably will) or to play in some other folks' games. Will have to figure out the logistics when we get closer.

Yeah, the on-site hotel rooms are super-duper expensive. Way out of my price range, even the ones in the lottery. If a person is willing to stay 15 to 20 minutes away, though, you can find some good deals. I found a very inexpensive hotel room at that distance, and then set my intentions on securing a good on-site parking spot instead of an on-site hotel room. It worked out really well.

If you do run a game, please keep me in mind! You could even bring your pulp Hong Kong setting into it . . . that'd be something unique, for sure. It'd be something the visiting players wouldn't be able to get anywhere else (at least until Ulisses steals the idea from you, anyway!) :)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 am

mystic101 wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:

Yeah, the on-site hotel rooms are super-duper expensive. Way out of my price range, even the ones in the lottery. If a person is willing to stay 15 to 20 minutes away, though, you can find some good deals. I found a very inexpensive hotel room at that distance, and then set my intentions on securing a good on-site parking spot instead of an on-site hotel room. It worked out really well.

If you do run a game, please keep me in mind! You could even bring your pulp Hong Kong setting into it . . . that'd be something unique, for sure. It'd be something the visiting players wouldn't be able to get anywhere else (at least until Ulisses steals the idea from you, anyway!) :)

Yeah, if I were paying for the hotel, I'd definitely be off site, it's a good way to do it.

I will write up something unique and run it, hadn't thought about doing Forbidden Kingdom but that might throw off some expectations of the game for people new to it and it's not really a fully developed thing. I was thinking of something short but iconic to Torg, there will definitely be some surprises, but also some familiar Torg stuff. I dunno, I have some time to think about it though. And to work on my cosplay!

I'll keep you posted on this thread on specifics, should be able to have a rousing game with forum members!
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Drafit

Postby Drafit » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:32 pm

and then set my intentions on securing a good on-site parking spot instead of an on-site hotel room. It worked out really well.

Last couple of years I been using the Gate 10 parking option, last year was 75$ dropped the car off at their lot, they have shuttle to the convention center 24/7, and that covers my parking from Thursday am, till I want to leave on Sunday night.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:19 am

To anyone who wants to get together for an unofficial Torg game, we can let each other know our possible times to get together after the frenzy of ticket-buying ends tomorrow, and everyone knows what their windows of availability are.

As for me, I have a six-year-old daughter who wakes me up every morning at 6am (or earlier). Now that I've been irredeemably Pavlovian-trained by her, I've got my events starting bright and early each day at 8am. So I won't be available in the am/afternoons, but I will generally be free after 6pm-8pm each day, Wednesday through Saturday, except for Thursday.

Alternatively, I'm going try to sign up for a Torg Eternity LARP someone's doing from 2pm-5pm on Friday. Sounds unique, something you don't get just anywhere, and it says it can handle up to thirty players. If a gaggle of forumites crashed the event, that might make things interesting. It's set in the Cyberpapacy, so Gargoyle's cosplay cyberwitch outfit, cyberdeck included, might just fit right in!

(Or, um, let the inquisitors immediately know who to burn first. Maybe that.) :P

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”