Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

mystic101

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby mystic101 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Spatula wrote:The Tanoura Dancer - page 14
  • should Shield Discs defense bonus be incorporated into defense numbers?
  • skill table, last few cells in last column don't have background color.

Ooh, that's a good point about the shield disc bonus. Maybe so. I bet including that would be easy for a new player to miss.
Also, the Notes section of the Khopesh should say "Damage 10 w Telekinesis" rather than "Damage 12".

Spatula wrote:Reptile Ranger - page 4
  • race says human, should be edienos.
  • Shock limit is 7, should be 8.
  • axiom of Rocket Ranger armor is 12?
  • skill table, last few cells in last column don't have background color.
page 4-5
  • power bomb summary & text says "2bd" which in the past has been written in caps, i.e. "2BD".
page 5
  • illustration and description says character is wearing a flight jacket rather than bulky Rocket Ranger armor, maybe the character should have Flight power instead with a gear limitation? (that is to say, it's described more like a rocket pack)

In addition, in the Reptile Ranger's Advancement Track, it has the Whirlwind perk listed. However, as a recent thread established, that only works with melee weapons skill. The RR only has adds in unarmed combat, and no melee weapons skill at all.

I'd suggest replacing Whirlwind with the Wrestler perk. Grappling maneuvers look like the character's go-to move, especially since establishing a grapple is a precondition for using their new Power Bomb perk. The Wrestler perk would make all of those attacks Favored, and would also remove the -2 damage penalty on any attempts that didn't meet a Good success level.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:13 pm

P.S. Great work on the Religions of Core Earth PDF. I've really been looking forward to seeing this one, and it didn't disappoint. Well written.

I particularly like the idea of a support character having Vow of Nonviolence + the Yin and Yang miracle. Every once in awhile the storyteller will get a hideous die roll chain going on an npc's action, and that combo is a good way to cap their applied bonus to something more reasonable. Seems like it would be a good compliment to a Bodyguarding partner, too. The bodyguard takes hits for the pacifist, and in turn the pacifist keeps any of those hits from being too monstrous.

Also makes me want to play a Shinto priest with Meditation, Commune with Spirits, and Commune with Animals. Basically their whole shtick is that they just talk to kamis . . . only, since literally everything has a kami, they can pretty much talk to anything and everything. Car trouble? Talk to the kami of the engine, and find out what's wrong. Need to get past a locked door? Talk to the kami of the numeric keypad and explain what's going on. It would take a storyteller willing to go along with it, of course, but it could set up some amusing scenarios, like: taunt-ing a recalcitrant engine into starting; trick-ing a door into unlocking for you; or using persuasion to ask a tree which way someone went. Hehe. Fun.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat May 25, 2019 12:41 pm

One I am really surprised didn't make Spatula's list...

Does Swashbuckler make qualifying Interactions Favored and Skilled, or does it ignore the first -2 penalty from any source? The character sheet says the former, but the Perk description says the latter, and that is by far the biggest confusion I noticed in the Backer Archetypes.

I don't see why Swashbuckler couldn't be used with weapons other than swords, though. The name suggests Zorro, but the idea could easily apply to a flashy sharpshooter.

darrell

Postby darrell » Sat May 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Spatula wrote:illustration and description says character is wearing a flight jacket rather than bulky Rocket Ranger armor, maybe the character should have Flight power instead with a gear limitation? (that is to say, it's described more like a rocket pack)

The description says that he wears the bomber-jacket when he's not wearing the "prototype offshoot of the rocket rangers armor", so that part of it is fine.

darrell

Postby darrell » Sat May 25, 2019 6:19 pm

With The Rugged Actor; the overview says "and your sheer charisma drew the attention of your faithful companion". Their Charisma is 8, absolutely average...

With The Sword of Justice; what are The Scales of Justice? They're listed as a melee weapon.

With The Femme Fatale; Dark Past says "You start with one fewer Drama Card, but two extra Possibilities." This should say Destiny Card. Also, do these -1/+2 rule apply only at the start of the adventure, or at every point during it where you would reset to your base numbers?

With The Road Paladin; he has a radio reciver "for tracking device", but no tracking device...

With Robot Man; given that he is effectively a massive Pulp Power, does anything he does whilst outside the Nile Empire cause a contradiction?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat May 25, 2019 6:24 pm

darrell wrote:With The Rugged Actor; the overview says "and your sheer charisma drew the attention of your faithful companion". Their Charisma is 8, absolutely average...

6-7 is average, actually. 8 is just average for a Storm Knight. :)

darrell wrote:With The Sword of Justice; what are The Scales of Justice? They're listed as a melee weapon.

I was confused about that as well but from the stats it appears to be a dagger, visible sheathed on his hip in the illustration.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat May 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Religions of Core Earth:
Page 2, "New Perks", 3rd paragraph can be removed as there are no perks in the document that boost abilities.
Page 4, "Vow of Nonviolence", first incidence of "Possiblities" is misspelled.
Page 4, "Vow of Nonviolence", first paragraph is not very clear to me:
"If the attacker spent any Possiblities, [sic] the hero must spend an equal amount of additional Possibilities." - are those possibilities just lost, i.e. spend them and that's it? does the hero have to roll the extra d20s and add them to their total?
"However, any test to make a physical attack suffers a -2 penalty." - who does this apply to? The hero or the attacker being talked about in the paragraph?
page 10, second line, "Jeses" is misspelled.
page 16, second column, second paragraph, issues with parentheses and brackets.
page 23, "Other Core Earth Religion" is indented when other list headers are not.
page 24, "Incognito", what is the purpose of saying, "anyone observing the character automatically gets a +0 bonus on their evidence analysis tests"? Shouldn't it just be, "anyone observing the character automatically gets an evidence analysis test"?
page 24, "Meditation", should the range be "Self" instead of "Touch"?
page 26, "Quote", what? Does not seem related to the Abyzou at all.
page 26, "The Body is a Shell", says: "However, since Abyzou does not spend Possibilities to soak damage" which seems to refer to information established elsewhere that is not mentioned anywhere else. Maybe should be, "However, Abyzou does not spend Possibilities to soak damage, and when Abyzou’s Wounds exceed the host’s Wound Limit, the host’s body dies without a Defeat test."
page 26, "Pulp Power (Fear)", since I'm guessing this isn't an actual pulp power, so maybe the title should be changed to something like "Fear Attack" or "Gaze from Hell" or whatever.
page 26, first few lines, I'm confused about the creature description and how it related to the stat block. Description says she kidnaps kids and kills the family members if they get in the way, stat block implies she possesses the kids ("Fear" ability). Which isn't incompatible, but maybe the description should say, "kidnaps children by possessing them"? Which is a pretty grim foe to fight given their disregard for their hosts. But they covet the kids or they wouldn't kidnap them?

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Sat May 25, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm liking the Religions of Core Earth. It's the one I was really looking forward to.

I do have a question about the statement that "Miracles were once contradictory in Core Earth..."

Is that intended to mean all miracles? Because that seems to imply that the great miracle workers of the past would have had to have been Reality-Rated...which is of course fine with me ( :) ) but just wanting to point that out for consistency's sake.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat May 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Spatula wrote:Religions of Core Earth:

Have you watched the Exorcist?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat May 25, 2019 10:30 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Spatula wrote:Religions of Core Earth:

Have you watched the Exorcist?

Ahhhhhh. Now I understand much about the inspiration here! :mrgreen:

BTW, just want to say I appreciate all the work put into these books! Any pointing out of errors or potentially confusing text is to ensure that it's as good a product as it can be and not to nitpick.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”