magic: 15, tech: 24, spirit: 0, social: 21

GeniusCodeMonkey

magic: 15, tech: 24, spirit: 0, social: 21

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:03 am

Normal rules: background, 3 world laws, 10 suggested cards and why would you go there.

If you haven't seen the link; here is the surveymonkey for the previous cosm ideas; remember, no prizes, just Kudos.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/5PQJBCD
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Count Thalim

Re: magic: 15, tech: 24, spirit: 0, social: 21

Postby Count Thalim » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:07 am

Spirit 0 is really brutal, even worse than a low social axiom.

Spirit 0: Gods, Spirituality, faith, and the afterlife aren't even concepts.

To then square that with Magic 15: Communications with other dimensions is possible.

I have a couple of ideas, but it is taking some mental contortions to justify.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:36 am

Count Thalim wrote:Spirit 0 is really brutal, even worse than a low social axiom.

To then square that with Magic 15: Communications with other dimensions is possible.

What would be the fun of having an easy time of it!

I've got a few ideas too, and I'll have time to write them up now.
Question everything.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Spirit 0 is rough but it all matches. I’m thinking of a high tech world with some limited magic but no concept of religion at all. Maybe a world forsaken by the gods in the past.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Count Thalim wrote:Spirit 0 is really brutal, even worse than a low social axiom.

Makes me think of the myriad of dimensions on display in the Dr. Strange movie. The existence of Dormammu and the Dark Dimension (or the Mirror Dimension, or...) doesn't have anything to do with the afterlife or faith or gods.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Spatula wrote:

Makes me think of the myriad of dimensions on display in the Dr. Strange movie. The existence of Dormammu and the Dark Dimension (or the Mirror Dimension, or...) doesn't have anything to do with the afterlife or faith or gods.

When you look at marvel, Thor isn't a God, only a super advanced alien.
Question everything.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:33 am

Social 0 is definitely the defining stat for this one. And not even going “hardcore atheist” is enough to satisfy the requirement, because atheists still understand what it is that they find ridiculous and are rejecting, but this cosm’s inhabitants literally can’t even conceive of that possibility. That’s a tall order, greatly at odds with how our imaginative, storytelling human brains normally think.

I tried to satisfy it partly with a thematic world law, and partly by turning the premise on its head. Here it is. The native inhabitants refer to their world as CRYPTE NOIR, but to the untransformed Core Earth inhabitants trapped within the boundaries of its realm, it’s simply nicknamed "GHOST WORLD".

CRYPTE NOIR

Crypte Noir is an ectoplasmic universe, unlike the material matter that makes up many cosms. Its inhabitants are all ghosts, all “living” their lives in a colorless, spectral world ruled by its High Lord, the Reaper. He (she?) wields Mortis, the Obsidian Scythe, Crypte Noir’s Darkness Device. Due to vague thematic similarities to Orrorsh, and a slight overlap in their prospective “ecologies”, the Gaunt Man declined to invite Crypte Noir to be part of the invasion of Core Earth. However, the Reaper was loathe to give up such a unique opportunity to become Torg, and decided to crash the party anyway. The Reaper will not be denied . . .

AXIOMS

Magic: 15
Magic is a known and accepted part of life in the cosm. Necromancy is a popular field of study here, due to the depth and versatility of effects that it allows users who are operating within an entirely ectoplasmic reality, but all schools of magic are known and practiced to varying degrees.

Tech: 24
The Law of Lethe helps Noiran scientists focus on the here-and-now of their research to a greater degree than they might otherwise, and so Crypte Noir’s level of technical advancement has slightly surpassed that of Core Earth’s. However, due to high-energy fields sometimes having known deleterious effects on ectoplasmic matter (Don’t cross the streams!), the cosm’s progress toward Tech 25 and beyond have been stymied to a degree.

Spirit: 0
Again due to the Law of Lethe, Noirans give little thought to past or future, so there is no speculation about the afterlife here. Ghosts who discorporate are simply assumed to have been lost to oblivion. Visiting mystics from material cosms speculate that Crypte Noir’s inhabitants may arrive here after they died somewhere else, and may even pass on to another existence after their discorporation, to continue the cycle of reincarnation elsewhere. However, Noirans can’t make heads or tails of such nonsensical “meathead” babble, so they don’t even try.

Social: 21
Culturally, Crypte Noir is roughly analogous to 1930’s Core Earth. Additionally, the black-and-white, chiaroscuro nature of the environment; mazelike urban settings; endemic corruption and betrayal; and difficulty in measuring or tracking the passage of time lend the cosm an aesthetic flair and a subjective “narrative structure” that a Core Earth inhabitant might describe as strongly “film noir” in style.

WORLD LAWS

The Law of Lethe
Named after the cosm’s mighty river of forgetfulness, the Law of Lethe hangs over all inhabitants’ thoughts like an obscuring shroud. In Crypte Noire, past and future are dimly held concepts. Living ords who transform into Noiran ghosts give little heed to what came before their new existence, or what will happen next. Sometimes, ghosts simply seem to appear in Crypte Noir as if materializing out of nothing, or as if arriving from somewhere else, yet neither they nor other Noirans ever question the “why” of the arrival, or ponder where the new spirit learned any knowledges and skills. Visiting Storm Knights still retain a sense of who they are, and can work towards future goals such as the success of their current mission, but it’s always filtered through the lens of the “now”. Who am I right now, and what am I doing at this very moment to accomplish my goals?

The Law of Styx
Named for a river said to grant invulnerability, this law mediates the interaction between the living and the dead. As ectoplasmic objects and beings are completely intangible to most material things, and vice versa, each has a large degree of “invulnerability” to the other. However, each also possesses an “Achilles’ heel” waiting to be exploited. For example, both forms of matter are vulnerable to magic, miracles, and psionic effects, and Mortis made sure to attune Noiran reality in order to make the living more vulnerable to the magics of the dead. In Crypte Noire, spell affects targeting living beings are performed with a -2 difficulty modifier. This, along with the ineffectiveness of material attacks against ghostly assailants, initially left Core Earth forces largely helpless against the Reaper’s cadres of spectral sorcerors. Yet the ghosts have a weakness of their own. Material items charged over time with intense emotion, such as a weapon used during a crime of passion or a beloved childhood toy, become mementos, and can affect ghosts normally for a time. Finding such items is hit-or-miss, and the emotional charge gets “used up” within about an Act whenever actively used against ghosts, but Core Earth rebels have begun welding wedding rings together to make “brass knucks”, or lining their shields with the cotton batting from their childhood teddy bears, in preparation for further attacks.

The Law of Acheron
Named for the river of woe, this law helps ensure this reality is a place of sorrow and loss. Human dramas play themselves out across a grim and gritty landscape. Failure is a real possibility, and even in success, pyrrhic victories are common. Yet in this realm of sacrifice and despair, hope becomes more important than ever, and it strengthens those who cleave to it most strongly. Spirit or willpower checks made against effects such as Fear or Dread are made at a +2 Difficulty penalty, but if a character manages to achieve an Outstanding success, they also receive a +1 bonus to all skill checks for the remainder of the scene.

COSM CARDS

They’re Something Strange In Your Neighborhood
When played, something in the Storm Knight’s vicinity transforms into its ectoplasmic equivalent at the most inopportune time, granting 1-3 Possibilities depending on the nature of the danger or inconvenience. A wielded weapon transforming may be worth 1 Possibility; standing on the third story of a building that turns intangible may instead be worth three.

Who Ya Gonna Call?
A group of human rebels arrives to assist the Storm Knights in a time of danger, wielding items that are effective against ghosts.

I Ain’t ‘Fraid of No Ghosts
Play to automatically succeed on a Spirit or willpower check to avoid being affected by fear.

Dogs and Cats Running in the Streets . . . Mass Hysteria!
A contingent of spectral antagonists arrive to create havoc. Award 1-3 Possibilities if defeated.

When Someone Asks You If You’re a God, You Say YES!!!
Play to have a favorable instance of Mistaken Identity affect your character, or instead play to cause a negative case of Mistaken Identity to affect you for 1 Possibility.

I See Dead People
Turn in to use this card as an Awareness card, or to negate the effects of being Surprised.

It’s a Dead Man’s Party, Leave Your Body at the Door
Play to cause your character to disconnect . . . and transform into a ghostly equivalent of themselves! If played out of combat, the transformation lasts until the end of the scene, or until combat begins. If played in combat, the transformation lasts until the character reconnects. Gain 1 Possibility.

Can’t Take It With You
The character discovers a cache of potentially useful mementos, such as: a stock of confiscated weapons in a police evidence room; a cherished set of garage tools that can be used to pick up and wield spectral items; a beloved set of sports memorabilia containing bats, hockey sticks; etc.

Chains Forged in Life
The character spontaneously manifests heavy spectral chains draped around him or her, a side effect of guilt over some real-or-imagined failing from the past. The character is Stymied until they work through the issue. The chains can be dismissed with a Difficulty 14 Spirit or willpower test, or through roleplay. Award 1 Possibility if resolved with a test; 2 Possibilities if through roleplay.

Alas, Poor Yorik
The character encounters the ghost of someone from their past that they knew well. Award 2 Possibilities if they help the ghost with some significant task, or alternatively, discard for 1 Possibility and the chance to have any “last words” with them.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:28 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:When you look at marvel, Thor isn't a God, only a super advanced alien.

Thor is actually a really good example of the problem here.
The Asgardians know they aren't gods and it isn't clear if they believe in their own gods or not.
But they know a lot of other races do believe they are gods putting them at Spirit 1 at least.

How to write a blank spot. A interesting challenge I accept.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:39 am

Count Thalim wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:When you look at marvel, Thor isn't a God, only a super advanced alien.

The Asgardians know they aren't gods...

Depending on their mood, that is. Thor's starting running with the "God of Thunder" thing in some of the movies, at least.

If there were a race of gods...would they think of themselves as "gods" or "Gods" in the way mortals do, or would the concept mean something different to them?

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 am

Spatula wrote:

When you look at marvel, Thor isn't a God, only a super advanced alien.

That's the one thing I hated about the MCU. I really felt they did that to not alienate the far-right religious audience. He will always be a God to me. Well once he loses weight. Fat Thor was a disservice to the character.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”