Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China

Zackzenobi

Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:14 pm

I was just watching the Testimonial by Ross Watson on what he liked about Torg. He mentioned Jack Buton several times. I love Big Trouble in Little China. It's one of my favorite movies. This got me thinking, what is Jack Burton's Archetype? And what 2 starting Perks would he have?

Spatula

Re: Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China

Postby Spatula » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:09 pm

Dumb Luck, from the Beta Player’s Guide.
Something social-y, maybe.

It’s hard to say since the joke throughout the movie is that Jack is kinda dumb, has no idea what he’s doing or what’s going on, and is in way over his head. Though unlike most movie protagonists, he’s not great at everything and as a result is easier to translate into RPG terms.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Yaci like Dumb Luck but it's really better suited for a 3rd or 4th Perk IMHO. It helps him out sure but only when a Reality Rated foe uses a Possibility against him. I mean he has to live past Gospog, Velociraptors, Wights, and Shocktroopers before he can get Lucky against Wu Han.

Maybe Tenacious? I mean NOT giving up is kinda Jack's thing.

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 pm

I would argue for a homebrewed "overpowered" version of Wealthy, because he has a truck and by the rules that costs $120k.

Jack Burton rarely succeeds at anything. He loses fights with mooks, he knocks himself out dropping rocks on his own head, he fails to crack on to the hot journalist... In Torg terms think he spent that entire movie hoarding cards to get a perfect hand of Hero and Drama and Glory and Coup de Grace to try to kill-steal the boss at the Critical Moment.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 pm

I think of Burton just representing dice rolls. Any player can roll like crap and look awful, or get lucky and look like a demigod. I’ve always thought of him as the best cinematic portrayal of an RPG character ever. In your standard action film a typical character has a thing they are good at so is always great at it, and/or a flaw that guarantees dramatic failure. Burton doesn’t have that, he is mostly bad but then is awesome. Just like a PC with uneven dice rolls.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:06 am

He doesn't need a truck (or even any adds in land vehicles!), he doesn't have it for the entire movie. It's just a plot bit. If the player had spent a perk on having a truck, they'd be justifiably annoyed if the GM took it away for the entire 1st adventure...

Tangent

Postby Tangent » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:59 am

Spatula wrote:He doesn't need a truck (or even any adds in land vehicles!), he doesn't have it for the entire movie. It's just a plot bit. If the player had spent a perk on having a truck, they'd be justifiably annoyed if the GM took it away for the entire 1st adventure...

He's shown driving the truck at the beginning and the end of the movie, as well as at the start of one scene near the climax, so yeah, the land vehicle skill would have seen use during the hypothetical game session. There's also the hook at the end of his truck having acquired a stowaway that is obviously going to be causing Jack more trouble later on (possibly even requiring actual Skill tests in land vehicles).

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 am

Yeah, the truck is a plot device more than anything. It gets Jack into more trouble than it gets him out of (and the trouble it gets him out of is trouble he got in because of the truck). And besides, PCs can have a vehicle or home in their own cosm at GM approval. I wouldn't see anything wrong with letting a PC have a truck for a while.

Dumb Luck sounds great. I forget what it does, but the very name embodies Jack. For the other perk, I think that Prodigy would work. He's not great at much, but he does have those crazy reflexes. And having an extra Possibility can explain why he pulls off crazy stunts.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:40 pm

One thing to consider is that Jack isn't the hero of the movie, he's the hero's sidekick.

(This is explicit in the commentary track)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:I was just watching the Testimonial by Ross Watson on what he liked about Torg. He mentioned Jack Buton several times. I love Big Trouble in Little China. It's one of my favorite movies. This got me thinking, what is Jack Burton's Archetype? And what 2 starting Perks would he have?

Jack Burton's archetype is...the Follower Perk for Wang Chi.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”