So, what spells are your players taking?

Wakshani

So, what spells are your players taking?

Postby Wakshani » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:27 am

I'm interesting in our Magic people and while I'd love to see people's assorted magical characters, I'm also interested in what spells they take and why. Are there any must-have spells in your mind? Any just awful spell that nobody takes? Are all your spellcasters from Aysle or do you have magicians from other cosms?

I'm terribly curious!

Savioronedge

Re: So, what spells are your players taking?

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:43 am

My only caster currently is CE. She is primarily a Wiccan Priestess. The spells she has are: Scry, practically useless but it "was [her] bread and butter before the invasion;" Mage Hands, taken as another thematic 'useless' spell, this has been her most used ability to date; and Bullet, taken as an offensive option that I cannot recall ever casting.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 am

Savioronedge wrote:My only caster currently is CE. She is primarily a Wiccan Priestess. The spells she has are: Scry, practically useless but it "was [her] bread and butter before the invasion;" Mage Hands, taken as another thematic 'useless' spell, this has been her most used ability to date; and Bullet, taken as an offensive option that I cannot recall ever casting.

Mage Hands is faboo, yeah. Bullet's one that I've never been able to justify taking, personally, but I've heard other people adore it, so.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:52 am

I've had multiple spellcasters in my games :
- Core Earth: detect magic, dispel magic, scry; he never used them and now he's dead
- Aysle: speak with dead, stun, scry; he loves stun and is unable to take any of the big combat spells due to being mind-focused instead of spirit
- Cyberpapacy: scrambler, disguise, and another one that's never been used; basically the perfect infiltrator/cyberwitch combo, both get a lot of use and fun
- Orrorsh: protective circle, enhance, possibility rend, diminish and another one; protective circle get a LOT of use despite being actually hard to use (1 minute casting time + concentration), possibility rend is also his primary attack method
- Tharkold: disguise, enhance, diminish; he does not use the spells much but now he's taking stun and bullet for combat efficiency

Overall those who take spells tend to either use them to solve everything or not use them at all.

Protective Circle ends up being useless most of the time when the players have to rush out of the circle to save someone in danger. In the few cases where it wasn't useless it saved lives :)

Stun is probably the most used combat spell in my groups: they tend to like having prisoners to interrogate and it's a pretty strong AoE spell.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Our Cyberwitch went with Scrambler, Stun, and Diminish, and has used them often. But then she boosted Conjuration and grabbed Lightning, and that’s been her favorite spell since. (Her favorite tool in a fight actually.)

Scrambler is something I think she grabbed because it fit her paranoid character personality, and came from her background fighting the church. But she used it to good effect in PP; we caused a lot of mayhem in Tokyo but thanks to her spell they didn’t catch us on video most of the time.

Stun is handy when there is a group of mooks bunched up. Diminish helps us take down big enemies. (She almost always targets Dexterity.) And now if nothing else is needed she uses Lightning which is a great all-around damage-dealer. (She used to try to shoot things with a laser pistol but her Energy Weapons skill isn’t great.)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:13 am

Our elf Kindred Mage is all about "unlocking a being's potential," and thus went with enhance, haste, and inner barbarian. Has used all of them repeatedly (the last on himself to wield an overdrawn bow).
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Savioronedge wrote:Bullet, taken as an offensive option that I cannot recall ever casting.

Wakshani wrote:Bullet's one that I've never been able to justify taking, personally, but I've heard other people adore it, so.

Is Bullet a bad spell or something?

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:47 pm

TiaMaster wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:Bullet, taken as an offensive option that I cannot recall ever casting.

Wakshani wrote:Bullet's one that I've never been able to justify taking, personally, but I've heard other people adore it, so.

I have a player whose character uses it quite often(Cyberpapacy).
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:52 pm

ZorValachan wrote:
TiaMaster wrote:

I have a player whose character uses it quite often(Cyberpapacy).

I forgot about our Tharkold PC, he uses Bullet along with Mage Hands (not sure what his third spell is). I forgot because he didn’t have spells until recently, he originally only had psionic powers.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:49 pm

TiaMaster wrote:

Bullet is effectively a .38 which bites the shooter if he misses. It is the only physically offensive spell available to a CE caster...no fireball; no lighting bolt. It was also not available to a CE caster in the first edition of T:E Core Rules.

It is not a bad spell. In OT it was one of my favorites. I even created a wooden varient for a character whose signature attack was taking the toothpick from her lips and "flinging" it at an Enemy before pulling her 2 pistols out.

With the limit on knowable spells, having your CE/CP/OR/TH mage take it instead of 1 add in Fire Combat is mechanically inferior, so it will probably be story driven. Having your AY mage take it instead of a more significant attack spell may make sense...a Kanawa guard with a Bullet wound doesn't scream "Storm Knight" like one killed by Fireball or Lightning Bolt, but even the Elvish Sorcerer can shoot a CE 45 with the same chance of Disconnection in PP as the spell and significantly better effect, without the risk of Backlash, or in Tharkold without risking a Demon Attack.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”