My very first Torg purchase

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:01 am

TORG had so much hype in my load games shop in Ipswich, Suffolk that I had to buy it. I mainly brought it because the 90% were the era for multi-genere RPGs and GURPs didn't do anything for me. RIFTs had too many flaws and the card deck in TORG was such a new and great idea.

I still have every source book.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:47 am

My first purchase was the Living Land sourcebook from Waldenbooks. It was summer and the AC in our house never worked great to begin with (this is a Very Bad ThingTM when you live in Phoenix). I was taking the bus down to the nearest mall every couple of days to enjoy the cool air and resupply myself with books to read. Dad was working on the East Coast. Mom and little sister were on a month long trip to Nationals (Baton twirling), and visiting my older sisters in Dallas.

I was so fascinated by the concept of our world transformed, I bought it without any context of the larger story. Two days later, I went back and had the folks at Waldens order the boxed set for me.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:10 am

My first Torg purchase was the boxed set, also at Waldenbooks, from a free-standing display of Torg stuff there. Was looking for a new rpg to try, and it came down to Torg or the Marvel Superheroes RPG. Now I’m a huge, lifelong Marvel fan ever since early childhood, so it should have been a no-brainer of a choice . . . but there was just something about Torg’s genre mashup premise, overlaid onto our own world, that was utterly fascinating. That and the cool art. I went with Torg, and I’m glad I did.

I looked into GURPS and Rifts a little bit later, but they just didn’t have Torg’s ahead-of-its-time rules concepts, and if I’m being honest, really didn’t have the same heart. GURPS felt sterile, and Rifts was just eye-rolling ridiculous. Torg all the way!

PS I miss Waldenbooks too.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am

I bought the boxed set, the LL sourcebook and the novel from Waldenbooks while on my last day of leave in the States. I was excited to dig into it but I had to put it in my checked luggage and they lost it! Not only did I have no civilian clothes when I got back to Germany, but I couldn't start reading this intriguing game that had been teased in Dragon magazine. They found it the day before Customs was planning to destroy it, almost a month later. I had to drive up to Frankfurt to get it.

Then I read those books for weeks, very puzzled and amazed. This was very different from D&D! When I finally started running it, I knew I had found something special and traveled all over Germany to different game stores, paying a lot of money for the sourcebooks as they came out.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 am

I got a copy of the Torg boxed set in a game auction for like $5. I was immediately hooked and ended up buying most of the other books from local stores that had them at discount (as this was around 2000 or so). Only ever ran a single session before Eternity came out, even though I owned 90% of the books.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:21 pm

In thinking about that receipt I posted, I'm not sure if I bought the game myself or not. I was visiting family in rural Idaho, and the nearest Waldenbooks had to have been in Twin Falls 45 miles away. I had no credit cards then, which explains the cash being tendered. But did I have enough cash on my trip to make such a big trip? It's possible one of my family members bought it for me. Not my grandmother, though. She completely bought into the D&D satanic panic. Maybe an aunt. One of them did buy me Gamma World in 1982, even though I had no idea what RPGs were at the time.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Eightybrains

Postby Eightybrains » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:31 pm

My first actual purchase was backing the Eternity Kickstarter back in... 2016? Wow that feels like a while ago. Of course, I had been familiar with Torg for a while at that point. I hadn't been born yet when the original game came out, but the dad of one of my friends in church had copies of most of the cosm sourcebooks in his basement, which he then gave to me (because even back then I was well-known for being a tabletop nerd) when he had to move to a much smaller house later on. I didn't actually get a chance to play the game until this year (in fact, because his copy of the boxed set was horribly decayed I didn't even know the rules until I got the pdf copy from the aforementioned Kickstarter), but I spent most of middle school utterly obsessed with the setting and story of the whole thing. Never read the original novel trilogy though, I'd love to get my hands on them.
I’m just here ‘cause it’s my Special Interest

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:09 pm

I'm another who bought the original boxed set the week it came out, thanks to the very cool ads in preceding months in Dragon magazine :). I picked it up at the Model Shop on Deansgate in Manchester and was really surprised at how heavy the box felt. I remember the novels as well, particularly the part where a character with the same name as me is killed by the Wild Hunt early on in "The Dark Realm" :D
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:58 pm

For me, I was planning on getting it for my 25th birthday present (people had given me money, and I had saved up some myself). On the day it showed up at my FLGS about 3 weeks later, I was starting to doubt myself, as there was the Boxed Set, the Living Land Sourcebook, and the first Relics of Power adventure all there at once, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go all in on this or just get the Boxed Set and maybe some other stuff. In the end, (i.e, when someone else picked up the second to last copy ahead of me), I went in full-bore and never looked back. It was the game I wanted to run, as opposed to other games that I felt I had to run because they were the flavor of the day. To this day, I still run other things, but if I were forced to run only one game for the rest of my life, there is no option...
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”