Page 1 of 2

My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:40 pm
by Kuildeous
I was going through my old stuff, and I dug through my Torg boxed set. At the very bottom of the box was a pristine receipt from when I bought the box. Imagine plopping down $30 ($60 equivalence today) as a kid on a game you had never heard of, especially with the internet completely unknown to me at the time. Blows my mind.

Though I was visiting family in Idaho at the time and was really bored, so this purchase probably saved my sanity while I was there and on the 30+ hour bus ride home.



Image

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:48 pm
by johntfs
Kuildeous wrote:I was going through my old stuff, and I dug through my Torg boxed set. At the very bottom of the box was a pristine receipt from when I bought the box. Imagine plopping down $30 ($60 equivalence today) as a kid on a game you had never heard of, especially with the internet completely unknown to me at the time. Blows my mind.

Though I was visiting family in Idaho at the time and was really bored, so this purchase probably saved my sanity while I was there and on the 30+ hour bus ride home.

Image


I'm pretty sure the first TORG purchase I made was the Storm Knights novel and I bought the boxed set like a week later after reading the novel.

Does anybody remember the first three novels? Not the plots/story but the actual physical books. I think the pages had a bit of a smooth gloss on them and the books also had a smell. Not a strong smell or an unpleasant smell, just a hint of... something. I can't really describe it exactly, but I think I decided that the novels smelled like Possibilities. The smell wasn't part of the boxed set or any of the supplements. It also wasn't present with any future novels or short story collection. It was only present with those first three TORG novels that served as the "prequel" to the TORG setting.

I remember learning about TORG from ads in Dragon magazine.

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:11 pm
by Wotan
johntfs wrote:I remember learning about TORG from ads in Dragon magazine.

The Storm has a name...
TORG

Good times :)

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm
by Kuildeous
I must've picked up the novel later. I remember reading the novel and was really confused why there was no cyber in the Cyberpapacy like the game books say there is.

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:46 am
by Kanaris
Wotan wrote:
johntfs wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:I remember learning about TORG from ads in Dragon magazine.

The Storm has a name...
TORG

Good times :)


Yup, I remember those ads like yesterday, that's what got me hooked :D We played a number of other games, but those first Torg campaigns were the best. Relics was such a great introduction to the setting, and everyone loved the Drama Deck ... and my players hadn't yet started to game the system :lol:

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:07 am
by Count Thalim
Kanaris wrote:
Yup, I remember those ads like yesterday, that's what got me hooked :D We played a number of other games, but those first Torg campaigns were the best. Relics was such a great introduction to the setting, and everyone loved the Drama Deck ... and my players hadn't yet started to game the system :lol:


The Drama Deck... It got repurposed into so many other games over the years. The ability to influence the game in that way was just so ground breaking for us.

The game that got me properly understanding how to GM. (And to roll with the crazy)

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 am
by Arcesilaus
My first Torg purchase was the boxed set which I picked up while visiting my dad in Key West the summer of 1990. I think he paid for it as a birthday present. I'd never heard of the game before finding it in a bookstore, but the cover was intriguing. I was also into anything RPG at the time.

I STILL own the original novels, as they didn't have nearly the wear and tear that my gamebooks had picked up.

My favorite game of all time.

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:06 am
by fougerec
I picked up the novel to read on a train ride between Ottawa and New Brunswick and when I got back to Ottawa immediately picked up the game from my FLGS.

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:35 pm
by Atama
Am I the only one nostalgic about Waldenbooks? I loved that I could walk into one at just about any good-sized mall and find a reasonable RPG selection.

I remember I got a Wheel of Time book signed by Robert Jordan at a Waldenbooks in the 90s.

RIP Waldenbooks (and Jordan).

Re: My very first Torg purchase

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 pm
by agarrett
My first purchase was also the boxed set, and also at a Waldenbooks, but it's also after I'd been playing Torg for several months. I was deployed in Operation Desert Storm, and the Doc was also a gamer and had brought along his boxed set. We wound up dragging in one other person who knew what RPGs actually were and had a game going. Fortunately the game didn't require lots of dice, as the Doc was the only one who'd brought some along, but we had a game going. Ran it through pretty much the entire deployment, and I had to get my own copy once I got back home...