Wish and Bane Lists

Rabbitball

Wish and Bane Lists

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:27 pm

I thought I would put this up (as my 150th post) give people a chance to sound off about specific monsters, spells, miracles, etc. they would want to see (or not see) in Torg Eternity. These could be ones you liked from OTorg that you want to see come back either in the Core book or the proper sourcebook, ideas that never made it in but would be a great fit, or those that make your head explode just so much that you hope they die an ignoble death. I will start with my lists of things from OTorg:

Monsters
Torg for me just wouldn't be complete without the borr aka. Having a troop transport animal for the Living Land was a perfect touch. We already know that there are dragons, but having dragons tied to the various elements was a good part of OTorg that can be recreated IMO. Walking Gods are awesome ideas; and it sounds like there will be more of them. We just need them to be scary.

As for dislikes, the stalengers and benthe from Living Land seemed like afterthoughts. If they don't return, I won't be upset. Also, the gospog beyond the first planting seemed a bit contrived; let's hope they do better this time. Nile Mummies were too pat; virtually unstoppable instruments of death, until someone lights a cigarette or torch near them.

Spells
I thought the idea of conjure the bouncing hordes of doom was just hilarious. I often took aquatic just so I could have fish grab as a justification of why my frail mage characters never starved. And poor Maungo; he was so focused on big splashy effects that his spells always had a fatal flaw (even Maungo's malicious mastiff was vulnerable to taunt and intimidation, having 0 in both). I wouldn't mind seeing a new mastiff in Eternity with the Mindless trait specifically to avoid that glitch; maybe Maungo's reputation could be redeemed. Flowers of frustration was insanely fun, even if miscategorized (I feel it should have been alteration/magic instead of conjuration/time).

I can do without ravages of time. As a player, it never seemed to have the punch I wanted; as a GM, casting that on a group made them howl as bad as if they had met That Other RPG(tm)'s rust monster. I liked the idea of voice of the dwarf (dvergamal), but it never really lived up to the hype.

Miracles
Increased toughness was misnamed but fun. One of my players managed to just barely avoid death casting that. And when I set a horde of edeinos on them all blessed by that, they quickly learned to not dismiss the naked warriors armed with plants with names that sound like they were coughing up phlegm. The concepts of Takta Ker's heightened senses miracles were good, although they seemed to fail in execution.

Most miracles seemed to be either too dopey (Bless Bullets) or too devastating (Kill Technology). I can hope that the new miracles are worth the expense put into learning them.

Psionics
For some reason, I never could get behind the psionics. They seemed like warmed over spells whose only benefit was that you could scale them up. I am hoping the new psionics make it worth dealing with.

Equipment
There were fun toys in The Destiny Map adventure that never seemed to appear anywhere else. And although pulp gadgets aren't technically equipment, they always allowed for a Nile adventure to have the perfect villain for any scenario.

For the love of all that is holy, however, take all of the gravitic rays and shove them into a black hole, never to be seen again. I had an entire adventure nearly collapse (literally) when someone fired a gravitic ray into a fault line while in a cave and rolled a natural 82. I could see the entire line of biotech going away too; it seemed more like the authors being cute than anything people would want to use.

Character Races
Elves, dwarves, and edeinos are already in, so I won't mention them. I would have fun with things such as centaurs, harpies, and the occasional goblin and/or kobold. The races of the Land Below were fun, and made for some of the more interesting characters. Draygaak were a cute idea at the time, but may be a bit dated.

I am glad that technodemons are rare; may they stay so rare that they escape the ranks of player characters. Ditto for ravagons; some toys are better as foes than as friends. And Larendi were created just for those people who didn't like the other flying races; they can be shipped off to the nether world as well.

I may offer more later; for now I'd rather hear other people's perspective.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Rabbitball

Re: Wish and Bane Lists

Postby Rabbitball » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm

bumping this topic now that the Core rules are out
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Nyarlathotep101

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:10 pm

#1 on my wish list would be a product like The Cassandra Files in old Torg. Basically a book of adventure hooks with some rudiementary GM information that the GM could flesh out to his heart's content. Many times, when it was Thursday afternoon and we played on Friday and I had no ideas, I just skimmed that book until I saw something that sparked something I could use and get ready in a hurry. I'd like it even more now that I have more family and work demands on my time than in those days and I think there will be days I can really use it.

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Want:

All the races and other cool stuff from Land Below
Nile Martial Arts
Pulp Sorcery and Weird Science to be their own thing, not just Pulp Powers
Decent GodNet rules
Different martial arts for Pan-Pacifica
Swamis and Gypsies in Orrorsh
Different miracle lists for various religions, including Core Earth ones
Bad guys and threats from Core Earth, allies and friends from other cosms
Terra!
A Metaplot that actually has the PCs as the heroes
Some good starting adventures with an impact on par with Before the Dawn and Relics of Power trilogy
Kaiju in Pan Pacifica
Some way to make Core Earth priests/mages/psionics decent

Do Not Want:

any more zombie adventures. Hopefully the Day One nonsense got all that out of your system. We reached Peak Zombie a decade ago.
Space Gods (it was my favourite cosm but it's been looted of all the things that made it special. Please don't bring it back in zombie form; just let it die if you absolutely must redshirt them to prove how awesum the Gaunt Man is)
Ravagons (let alone as PCs, seriously, they can just die in a fire)
Other ridiculous overpowered PC races like Tharkoldu, giants, werewolves, vampires, etc
Perserverence rules for Orrorsh
A Metaplot that ignores the heroes for the writer's Mary Sue NPCs to do everything that's important.
Elminster Poochie Quinn Sebastian

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:49 pm

MAJT wrote:Space Gods (it was my favourite cosm but it's been looted of all the things that made it special. Please don't bring it back in zombie form; just let it die if you absolutely must redshirt them to prove how awesum the Gaunt Man is)

I believe the term you're looking for is "Worfing" them.

Redshirts are the nobodies you beam down with the away team so one of them can die to show how serious the situation is.

Worf is the guy who's really strong and good at fighting, but whose main purpose is to get tossed around to show that these guys are even stronger than Worf.

The Space Gods seems to be more of the latter than the former - they were really powerful with all this super-tech that could even to some degree master reality itself, but even they were no match for the Gaunt Man.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Dragons tied to the Elements were awesome. They really gave Aylse some Character. If someone says Draconis Tuetonica I know we are talking about Aysle. The Red Dragon in the Day One was bland and generic but I get that there is only so much room in the Sourcebook. Hope we get Dragons that are interesting.

I loved the Tainted Ones. Villians that could give Corruption by touch. It used the World Laws and made them intrinsically Aysle.

Same w the Faires. Loved what they did before. I want more Fairies. Toot-toot!

Hoping for more Variety with Mummies this time.

Loved the Ravagons. Tied w Tharkoldu for best original Torg creations. They got rid of 90% of the Tech Demons but I'm hoping we still have Ravagons w Possibility Sense and Rip.

Hoping we still get to fight angels in the Cyberpapacy.

Hope we still get Leopard men and Keefee!

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Rabbitball wrote:
As for dislikes, the stalengers and benthe from Living Land seemed like afterthoughts. If they don't return, I won't be upset.

They didn't work well for most groups in oTorg, especially as player characters.

I thought the idea was interesting though, that there were other races that Baruk Kaah conquered who were very much unlike edeinos, yet converted to Keta Kalles. I think a return of them through the Law of Wonders would be much better though, because then you could use them as much or little as you liked and you could have locations from the stalenger home world for instance, and see a little more of their culture, flora and fauna, and of course axioms and world laws. So I would love for them to return in this manner.

Heck, I wouldn't mind it if the Living Land book had a lot of realms from Laws of Wonders described, but it's probably mostly written already, so I guess we will see.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Stalenger can be cool when converted to other realities, like a mage/cyberdecker/martial artist (Shuriken!)

Mainly I want a non-stupid Uthorian. They seem to have got the Non-stupid Baruk Kaah down. When I saw the pic of him I thought hmm maybe not so bad, but then I read the CRB and they made Uthorian even more a Gaunt Man lacky, with no independence, than before. So, Uthorian is conquering Aysle, destroys the dwarves, and the elves hand over Akashans to...the Gaunt Man? The Pela Ardinay body swap is just as stupid in TE as in OT. really, it doesn't matter how influencial the Gaunt Man is, Darkness Devices do not play chummy with one another and Drakacanus wouldn't let Uthorian be a High Lord if is as stupid as he is presented.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Well, the thing with Aysle's and Uthorion's backstory has always been that Uthorion was conquering it with the Gaunt Man's help as his first conquest. The Carredon was (is?) the Gaunt Man's pet. In oTorg, Uthorion went on to conquer other worlds for centuries before coming to Core Earth.

I thought the possession was a good trick, though given that it happens & is also undone before the game starts, it maybe feels a little superfluous now. I guess it sets up the status quo where Norway/Finland is the land of darkness and evil and the UK is land of light and good. Or at least that's how it seemed to me in oTorg. I never got the sense that the UK under Aysle was particularly dangerous, or that London was laboring under any particular threat. Which then makes me feel like Ardinay and Tolwyn are just sitting on their butts instead of helping the Earthers take back their land.

DerHuthmacher

Postby DerHuthmacher » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:57 am

That's also my problem with Aysle as a whole. England = good, Scandinavia = evil, though I don't see any armies marching against each other.
Ulisses told us we'll see some Game of Thrones in Aysle, but I cannot find that at this moment.

I'd have preferred an Aysle where you don't know whom to trust, where every thruth is hidden within layers of deception and radiant heroes are few.
That would have worked well with Ardinay as Uthorion, giving the characters a chance to redeem the queen of the realm.

Either that or truly open war between the factions of light and darkness, but this would be more difficult to maintain during any campaign in the long run.

Status quo seems to me that light Aysle is digging itself in while dark Aysle wreaks havok. Makes me to remember the first rule from "The school for good and evil": Evil attacks - Good defends....
---
Hell is where the heart is.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”