Upcoming Releases for The Dark Eye

Daniël

Re: Upcoming Releases for The Dark Eye

Postby Daniël » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 am

There is no need to develop products specifically for the English market. Assuming you don't want to make a new set of rules* to go with the setting.

In an ideal world**, the order&speed of translation would have been different. The game would be launched with the Core Rules&The Almanac in the same Kickstarter. Beginner friendly content would be translated faster and stuff that caters to the German grognards would be pushed back.

*The first 3 editions of the game were rules light. A rules light 5th edition is not a strange idea.

**The sort of world where Ulisses America can afford (let's say) 20 translators instead of (let's say) 5.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 am

Hey folks,

This conversation is drifting quite a bit. Can we move it into the Setting Discussion forum down below?

Thanks!

Daniël

Postby Daniël » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 am

I wouldn't mind that.

Having said that. I would like having an updated stickied release schedule at the top of the forum.

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Any idea when the 3rd Theater knight Adventure will be released. I started the campaign with the mistaken idea that the 3rd and hopefully 4th adventure would have been released by now. It has been over 7 months since the 2nd adventure was released and I will have to put the campaign on hiatus for now.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 am

We are all trying to push for a more predictable timeline. There were a lot of internal workflow adjustments internally in the second half of 2017, and we are still working on getting things back on track. I will continue to push for more information.

schreinereiner

Postby schreinereiner » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 am

tempest13 wrote:Any idea when the 3rd Theater knight Adventure will be released. I started the campaign with the mistaken idea that the 3rd and hopefully 4th adventure would have been released by now. It has been over 7 months since the 2nd adventure was released and I will have to put the campaign on hiatus for now.

I've postponed starting The Dark Eye with our group for this exact reason. I don't want to be in a situation where we can't run through the full campaign for lack of content. And I'm not interested in translating the German versions to my English speaking group on the fly.

@Eric: an update on the publication schedule would be really appreciated. I would have hoped that we'd be running somewhere around 6 months behind the German publication schedule at this point. Instead, we've lost ground. "Der Schwarze Frost" was published in June of 2016 in Germany. So, on the that campaign, we're more than 1.5 years behind in terms of publication schedule. Any idea what the target is in terms of average lag between English and German publications?

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 pm

Ok, this is getting worrisome. Ulisses has not released a new book outside of kickstarter since May 2017. What gives? Ulisses has not even made PDf of the Warring Kingdom available through Drive-thru. You have had the Dragon cave and Bandit adventure finished since before GenCon 2017 and yet except for a few copies help over from said GenCon noone can buy it for money or love. Ulisses intimated they were going to hurry up and make Theater Knights 3 and 4 available. Why else push the fact that a Herowork is good for use between the two? All you are doing by keeping this quiet is letting customers get annoyed and stop caring. I find it hard to beleive that is what Ulisses wants.
Last edited by tempest13 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:21 pm

One has to assume that they got bigger licences (Torg, Warhammer 40k) and thus the people are now working on those things instead.

It is a shame, but such is life.

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Lambert wrote:One has to assume that they got bigger licences (Torg, Warhammer 40k) and thus the people are now working on those things instead.

It is a shame, but such is life.

Well Ulisses went from being a part distributer/part publisher to pure publisher in the second half of last year. Also is probably not known here that Ulisses Germany lost one important member of their team in a sudden and tragic way while another important person needed a time out because of burn out. Both are full time members and nor part timers as far as I know. So that must have hurt. Especially as both were/are heavily involved in the administrative side.

I lot of stuff probably got shuffled around. So while they really need to speed up their translation of TDE I kind of understand that they had some problems in the last months.

The probably should take the time and give some rough plans what comes next for TDE. It really is overdue.

We know the situation for Torg (Fulfilment done in Europe/on its way for the US, Living Land book already finished and written)
and Wrath & Glory (Core book written, currently adventures are getting written)

Some information for TDE should be next on the agenda.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm

That is all well and good,
But one has to assume that Ulisses US is employing the people needed to translate and produce the English version.

Also if there were temporary but understandable reasons I am sure someone would officially or semi officially have said something. The fans understand, and forgive, assuming that you actually tell them something.

People have asked and asked again and it feels like poor Eric is caught between a rock and a hard place, because I bet he can't turn round to the fans and tell them anything positive and he likely isn't allowed to say what is really going on, which feels like not a lot.

Imagine if in Germany it would have taken Ulisses this amount of time to release the Theaterritter campaign with months and months of simply no communication or news.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dark Eye, but I am glad that I am not halfway through a campaign which just isn't being finished.

Return to “Product Announcements”