Game Info and Announcements

schoon

Game Info and Announcements

Postby schoon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:43 am

This former thread has been closed, but you can still read it to get all the basic information on the game. To keep it going, I've started this thread to consolidate further public disclosures about the game.

Most recently, Ulisses sent out the second Wrath & Glory newsletter (the first was administrative).

Wrath & Glory Designer Diary 1: Archetypes

For me, designing Wrath & Glory is at once both a path I’ve traveled down before and breaking new ground. On the one hand, I’m very familiar with the grim darkness of the far future, having worked on many games placed in that setting. In addition to that, I’ve done a lot of design work in roleplaying games over the years…but on the other hand, that design work was never quite like what I’m attempting to do with Wrath & Glory.

This game is a brand-new approach to Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay, and that means it has all the challenges and advantages of building an entirely new system of game mechanics to help drive the experience. A big part of that involves a complex balancing act, designing depth while trying to avoid over-complication, embracing simplicity while trying to add meaningful choices, and many other choices along the way. One of the most important things about designing for Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay, however, is steady as a rock:

The game must feel like Warhammer 40,000.

There are many ways to approach that goal, but one of the first that came to mind when I set out to work on Wrath & Glory is the idea of archetypes. The 41st Millennium is home to many iconic character types: Commissars, Space Marines, Tech-Priests, Psykers, Sisters of Battle, and Inquisitors, just to name a handful. The idea of these archetypes goes beyond just the bare definition of their role in the galaxy. Indeed, these archetypes are powerful, living examples of the main themes of the setting itself.

And that is what makes them perfect player characters.

The idea of an archetype and what that means in a roleplaying game has had many iterations, from the “Smuggler” in West End Games D6 Star Wars to the “Street Samurai” of many editions of Shadowrun. Sometimes, an archetype is simply a name attached to a specific build of character options. Other times, an archetype has its own particular identity expressed in the mechanics of the game, often through a special ability or mechanical effect that is unique to them.

For Wrath & Glory, I knew that I wanted the archetypes to trend closer to the latter than the former on the spectrum. There’s something great about being able to express what an archetype represents within the game system, something that can meaningfully add to a player’s experience in the game. I like to believe that these things can, in many cases, lead a player to greater immersion in the game, in the setting. I think this also leads to greater verisimilitude.

So what does all this discussion mean for Wrath & Glory? I wanted to give people who are fans of the game and the setting a glimpse into my design philosophy. Know no fear…not all my designer diaries are going to be so introspective! We will be discussing more concrete details about the game in the future, including looks at artwork, specific mechanics, and other parts of this project. Thank you for reading, and rest assured I am hard at work refining the construction of the Wrath & Glory RPG!

-Ross Watson, Product Line Manager

Yuven

Re: Game Info and Announcements

Postby Yuven » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:33 am

Well damn! It seems my newsletters have been funneled into my spam folder!
Thank you for getting that to my attention.
Frankly, I cant wait to know more details about the game. Above all, knowledge about the system :D

schoon

Postby schoon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Ross has also just been interviewed for the Polyhedron Podcast, and though there's not much new news there, I'll catalog it here anyway just so people don't have to go back to the old thread...

• The core book will be "broad and inclusive," giving you all the tools you need for any campaign or game style - the campaign books will get into specifics
  • There will be a beginner's box with rules, dice, pre-gen characters, and adventure to get folks started - even if they have no knowledge of 40K
  • It will be a d6 dice pool system, and they are looking at the sweet spot for number of dice rolled (not too few, not too many)
  • System is designed to be action oriented, plays fast and smooth
  • Scaling power levels (tiers) is a major design concern, and they are focused on doing it right
  • Social conflict will be a part of the rules
  • 1st campaign will be Imprium Nihilus
  • 2nd Campaign will be Eldar (possible name "Doom of the Eldar")
  • A Chaos (bad guy) campaign is being considered

MU Skulls Frank

Is this an entirely new system?

Postby MU Skulls Frank » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi folks, I'm curious if the system is in use in any other games as the designers suspect it will likely appear. I'm planning on running some Dark Heresy at Adepticon 2018 on March 24th and I would be interested in using the D6 based system. I'm thinking I have enough FFG material that for the convention I can make some loose conversions to the D6 system as the FFG combat system is not my favorite.

schoon

Postby schoon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am

Another interview with Ross on Gaming Trend. The new bits of information to be gleaned are:

• The system, while it pays homage to TORG Eternity, D&D 5th, and others, is a ground-up build
  • Characters, and presumably NPCs, will have "Tiers" that represent their power level, with Tier 1 being gritty, and more advanced Tiers being more epic.
  • Tiers will provide balance between disparate PCs
  • Confirmed that the first campaign is Imperium Nihilus and the seconf is Doom of the Eldar

schoon

Postby schoon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Ulisses posted an interview with James Layton of the Grim Dark Podcast - posted here - who had just playtested the game.

New info:
  • The game achieves the fast-paced, action-oriented, 40K feel
  • Critical hits, which use a card deck are vivid and fun
  • All the 40K archtypes you would expect are present
  • The game is quick to learn and all the info you need in on your character sheet

Valyar

Postby Valyar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:12 pm

I hope they don’t make card decks mandatory accessories... this shit made me drop Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition. All people I played with during the years dislike those gimmicks that try to milk more money.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Valyar wrote:I hope they don’t make card decks mandatory accessories... this shit made me drop Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition. All people I played with during the years dislike those gimmicks that try to milk more money.

If they are drawing inspiration for the critical hit deck from TORG, the cards will be included with the main rules. They will not be a money gimmick, but will add to the fun.

That said, I am anxious to see how it all fits together.

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (W&G)”