Base Game Mechanics?

Eric USNA

Re: Base Game Mechanics?

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:36 pm

One thing I will mention as a tangent to that last comment - our license specifically does not include anything related to Necromunda. So while we could theoretically work with Games Workshop on export suggestions for 8th Edition, we cannot refer to Necromunda at all. That you'll have to do yourself. ;)

-Eric

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

That sounds not really, uhm, wise, from a sales and frenchise perspective, if you ask me. But then, GW not always made the wise decisions for their frenchise...
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

schoon

Postby schoon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Eric USNA wrote:One thing I will mention as a tangent to that last comment - our license specifically does not include anything related to Necromunda. So while we could theoretically work with Games Workshop on export suggestions for 8th Edition, we cannot refer to Necromunda at all. That you'll have to do yourself. ;)

That's really fascinating.

I can see that Necromunda might be considered close enough to a roleplay that they'd want to keep that sandbox pristine for their own use. Makes a certain amount of sense.

OGIHR

thoughts on W&G's dice system

Postby OGIHR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am

Based on the little preview in the monthly newsletter, it looks like W&G will use a dice system drawing elements from several of my favorite RPGs over the years. Which is encouraging.

The breakdown of 1-3 / 4-5 / 6 is very reminiscent of how Mega-Attribute dice worked in White Wolf's "Aberrant", while the singular die of a different color was a tidbit I loved in the ICON system which Last Unicorn Games used in their various licensed Star Trek books. Although there it was used for the critical success/failure mechanic, while here it's being used for flavor-spin, like the mechanic in Evil Hat's "Don't Rest Your Head" for whether Discipline, Exhaustion, or Madness would "dominate" the consequences of an action.

There is a very real danger of the mechanics falling into the "buckets and buckets of dice" syndrome, but as long as the development team comes up with a more elegant way to scale capabilities than just getting a bigger bucket to hold your dice in, it certainly has potential.

I approve.
On a quest for galactic peace. One screaming guardsman at a time.

Yuven

Postby Yuven » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:41 am

I do like dicepool games, but I am a bit worried that you get successes a bit too easy. Ofcourse how easy it is to get successes might be mitigated by how the rest of the game,

With the 6's giving two successes, each dice would give 0.66 successes on average.

Valyar

Postby Valyar » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm

I hope this won't end like Exalted 2nd edition at some point, where you throw dozens of dices just per single check.

Yuven

Postby Yuven » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:39 am

that could be fixed by having a minimum amount of dice to do certain tests. like say you want to penetrate a baneblades armor. You need over 15 dice, so you roll your dice -15. so if you have 18, you would roll 3. And maybe you could have auto-succeeds if you have a certain ammount too?

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Or... you could come up with a system that doesn't need 15 dice. :shock:
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”