Homebrew Expansion for Voidships

Buttblight

Homebrew Expansion for Voidships

Postby Buttblight » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Hiya folks,

To cut a long story short i have taken it upon myself to 'fix' and expand the voidship rules. I've tried to integrate and balance my stuff to the original W&G rules set (what little there is anyway). Among my efforts are revisions to lance batteries and the inclusion of Bombardment Cannons & Torps.

The Document i currently have is by no means comprehensive but i figured its not a bad start either. Some of the stats and damage values will likely need a tweek too but in the mean time its still a hell of a lot meatier than what we have atm.

Finally, I included a section which describes how i reached the assorted values and/or a bit of fluff where necessary.

TTFN

C.R

Link: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ao2esVkV2lOmg58csQ3pCBm11Jhl7w
W&G is new and anyone who thinks it won't have gaping holes you could drive a battle barge through is a fool. Players drive those barges. My Homebrew Link is
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao2esVkV2lOmg58fCMmHoAeVwm_91Q

HenriHakl

Re: Homebrew Expansion for Voidships

Postby HenriHakl » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:29 am

Thank you for the effort.

To be honest, I was kind of expecting more content relating to gameplay options and rules on voidships and combat (as opposed to "just" more weapon and ship stats). Any chance you'll be looking at those things too?

Buttblight

Postby Buttblight » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 am

In short, Yup.

I just started with assorted ship stats and weapons figuring that they provide the foundation upon which everything else is built. Once i/we get that right, Any additional content should come quite easily.

Also the document is very much a work in progress I expect to be updating it regularly.

PS - I'm also likely to be looking at vehicles & other personal kit from 40k if and when i can be arsed :D
PPS - I suppose i should say that as things stand the actual rules themselves regarding voidship and vehicle combat seem pretty much fine, Also I haven't found any major holes. I am open to suggestions and thoughts though and i my group alone will encounter every possible problem so if you notice anything just shout :-)
W&G is new and anyone who thinks it won't have gaping holes you could drive a battle barge through is a fool. Players drive those barges. My Homebrew Link is
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao2esVkV2lOmg58fCMmHoAeVwm_91Q

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:35 am

Thank you! I like your take on lances!

With regards to the available combat actions and movement I suppose the old Rogue Trader rules are a solid starting point to borrow from... The presented rules of W&G appear to have borrowed from that concept anyway
Courage and Honour!

Soviet Conscript

Postby Soviet Conscript » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Hmm....
1) Where are the rules on nova cannons? They are listed but no rules provided. Or they are still in the works now?
2) Torpedoes. Are they shot (gameplay-wise) exactly like macrocannons? If so - IMHO they come out pretty overpowered - with 3 auto-damage on a typical Imperial Navy voidship with the resilience of 8 even if all rolls for extended damage are failed and up to 7 damage if rolls turn out to be exalted icons (and that means only 5+ rolls on d6 thanks to Brutal trait) (such figures stem from torpedoes ignoring shields and having an AP-3). This actually means that a cruiser, or a battlecruiser could go down in just two hits from these.
PS: Lore-wise, while torpedoes do ignore shields, they could (unlike macrocannon shells or laser pulses) get shot down by enemy ship's CIWS (close-in weapon systems) turrets. May be then add a special rule to reflect that (and balance torpedoes)?

Radwraith

Postby Radwraith » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Soviet Conscript wrote:Hmm....
1) Where are the rules on nova cannons? They are listed but no rules provided. Or they are still in the works now?
2) Torpedoes. Are they shot (gameplay-wise) exactly like macrocannons? If so - IMHO they come out pretty overpowered - with 3 auto-damage on a typical Imperial Navy voidship with the resilience of 8 even if all rolls for extended damage are failed and up to 7 damage if rolls turn out to be exalted icons (and that means only 5+ rolls on d6 thanks to Brutal trait) (such figures stem from torpedoes ignoring shields and having an AP-3). This actually means that a cruiser, or a battlecruiser could go down in just two hits from these.
PS: Lore-wise, while torpedoes do ignore shields, they could (unlike macrocannon shells or laser pulses) get shot down by enemy ship's CIWS (close-in weapon systems) turrets. May be then add a special rule to reflect that (and balance torpedoes)?

The rules for "Ordinance" (Fighters, Bombers and torpedoes) as well as "Special weapons" (Nova cannons) are found in the Battlefleet Koronus supplement by FFG. I would also recommend going back and looking at Battlefleet Gothic and Battlefleet gothic Armada which are the original source material. Torpedoes and small craft are launched from the ship and do not act like either Macrocannons or Lances. They travel to their targets and engage according to their own processes and are in fact subject to CIWS defenses. Nova cannons are IMHO reminiscent of the "Wave motion cannons" or "Reflex guns" of anime fame. Again, they act with their own process but are not subject to interception. I have a digital copy of the BFG rules if you want to PM me a method to send them. BTW, for those IP hawks out there: GW put the rules for BFG out for free some time ago so I don't see any problem with sharing them. I believe the Battlefleet Koronus supplement is still available on Drivethru RPG if you're interested.

Soviet Conscript

Postby Soviet Conscript » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Radwraith wrote:The rules for "Ordinance" (Fighters, Bombers and torpedoes) as well as "Special weapons" (Nova cannons) are found in the Battlefleet Koronus supplement by FFG

But the trouble is, there are currently no rules for voidship ordnance (torpedoes, bombers) in W&G.

Radwraith

Postby Radwraith » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 am

Soviet Conscript wrote:
Radwraith wrote:The rules for "Ordinance" (Fighters, Bombers and torpedoes) as well as "Special weapons" (Nova cannons) are found in the Battlefleet Koronus supplement by FFG

But the trouble is, there are currently no rules for voidship ordnance (torpedoes, bombers) in W&G.

Yeah, I know. There's a lot of things that aren't there...yet!

I was trying to give you some ideas for reference material. 8-)

BarnOwl

Postby BarnOwl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:53 am

Concerning Macrobattery and Lance Battery, what does ER and Turbo mean?
TYTO ALBA DEUS EST

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”