Escalation Tier Bonus Dice

Avin’tril

Re: Escalation Tier Bonus Dice

Postby Avin’tril » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 pm

MitchellTF wrote:Unnatural Defence + Dedicant + Cover + Chameoline Cloak. And she has some other bonuses she might stack. Full Defence, of course, being one of them.

I think MitchellTF might have misspoke here (easy to do) and meant Uncanny <Trait> in this instance. That trait of course bing Defense.

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:27 am

Avin’tril wrote:
MitchellTF wrote:Unnatural Defence + Dedicant + Cover + Chameoline Cloak. And she has some other bonuses she might stack. Full Defence, of course, being one of them.

I think MitchellTF might have misspoke here (easy to do) and meant Uncanny <Trait> in this instance. That trait of course bing Defense.

Oh, well, then you can max out Defence with Uncanny Defence, Sidestep and Dedicant!

Can you take Dedicant twice even? Once for "Uncanny Defence" and once for "Sidestep"? I'd say yes, because "Dedicant (Ability)" would be two different Talents ;)

What say you?
Courage and Honour!

Avin’tril

Postby Avin’tril » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Ilias Bethomael wrote:Oh, well, then you can max out Defence with Uncanny Defence, Sidestep and Dedicant!

Can you take Dedicant twice even? Once for "Uncanny Defence" and once for "Sidestep"? I'd say yes, because "Dedicant (Ability)" would be two different Talents ;)

What say you?

You cannot take Dedicant twice. “Unless otherwise noted, each talent may only be acquired once.” (Core p. 168) Acts of Faith being the only talent on the list that can be taken twice.

Dedicant (Ability) would not help Sidestep as it already grants +Rank. Dedicant only affects talents, etc. that grant +1/2 Rank.

So, it would be thus; MAX Defense + Uncanny (Defense) + Dedicant (Uncanny (Defense)) + Sidestep. This set-up would be possible for the Tier 2, Rank 2 player. The Tier 2 character could not start the game with this combo as the creation cap for Tier 2 would be two Talents.

If we were to incorporate the Full Defense Combat Option. The player would sacrifice their current turn to gain the bonus to Defense. Or if they have already acted they would sacrifice their next turn. The bonus to Defense would last until the end of the player's next turn.

If the player were to combine Sidestep with Full Defense it would get tricky. Sidestep requires the player be aware of the attack and to sacrifice their next Move Action, wether in the current turn or the next. Full Defense requires the player to sacrifice their entire turn for the current turn or their next turn, depending on when they activated/took this Combat Option. So, the timing of these talents would have to be on point.

If the player took their turn to Move (action) and perform a Combat Action (action) then were later attacked by a threat that turn they could take the Full Defense “reaction” and sacrifice their next turn. During their next turn they could not perform a Sidestep (as it requires sacrificing their Move action) due to the Full Defense action; they could not forfeit their Move to satisfy the Sidestep.

In order to get Sidestep and Full Defense to stack the player would have to:
1) Take Full Defense on their current turn; sacrificing all actions for the rest of that turn.
2) Next turn they are free to act normally and would then be able to sacrifice their Move Action to do a Sidestep after being attacked and get the benefits from Full Defense during the turn as well. The player’s Move Action would be sacrificed in the current turn, or the next depending on when during the Combat round the Sidestep was taken. If it was taken late in the combat round the player would have to sacrifice their Move Action in the next round, thereby making a Full Defense action impossible during that turn because the “sacrifice entire turn” requirement could not be met.

**whew**

Hopes this help.

MitchellTF

Postby MitchellTF » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm

It's nice seeing all this. And, yeah. I misspoke, I didn't have the rulebook open in front of me. Unnatural, Uncanny...easy to confuse. :)

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”