Spieltage Spiel?

wilcoxon

Spieltage Spiel?

Postby wilcoxon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:30 pm

I've been thinking of asking this for a while and it occurred to me tonight that this forum is probably a good place...

I'm tentatively planning to attend Spieltage Spiel (eg Esssen) sometime in the next few years but have some questions:

• How important is it to speak German?
  • How hard is it to get a hotel in the immediate area? How long in advance should I book? Do you book directly or is there a housing board (like GenCon)?
  • How does registration work? I assume you need a con badge but do you also need to register for individual games/events?
  • Is there anything else that would be helpful for a first time attendee to know?

Thrar

Re: Spieltage Spiel?

Postby Thrar » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:08 am

• How important is it to speak German?

Not that important for the event in general. Many games either don't require language to play or are available in English. Staff will be able to explain game rules in English.
However, I think most of the RPG sessions will be held in German. It's possible that there are some in English, but I'm not sure.

• How hard is it to get a hotel in the immediate area? How long in advance should I book? Do you book directly or is there a housing board (like GenCon)?

No idea. Essen is a reasonably large city and it's part of the Ruhr metropolitan area. Public transport in the area is very good, I don't think it's required to stay within walking distance. If in doubt, ask the hotel how long it would take to get to the venue by public transport before you book.

• How does registration work? I assume you need a con badge but do you also need to register for individual games/events?

I've only ever bought tickets at the gate. There used to be one-day and multi-day passes, but I'm sure you can find out on their website.
Playing board games generally doesn't require registration. If you want to play one of the very popular games you may have to wait a bit for a set or table to free up occasionally. Consider sitting on the floor if table space is limited.

I attended an RPG session a few years back and they had a sheet where you could write in your name before the session as long as there were spaces left. Don't know if it's still done the same way.

• Is there anything else that would be helpful for a first time attendee to know?

If you're going with a group of friends, consider splitting up into groups of two or three and join other people to play. It will be easier to find two empty seats at a table than a whole table to yourself. If you see an empty seat at a booth you're interested in, just ask nicely and most people will invite you to join them.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:30 am

wilcoxon wrote:How important is it to speak German?

Not that important. SPIEL is very international and gets bigger every year. You will find a lot intentional presence there and when you at least speak English you should do fine. The same it true even outside of the convention as English is the first foreign language learned in German schools and so a lot of Germans will understand you fine when you ask them something.

wilcoxon wrote:How hard is it to get a hotel in the immediate area? How long in advance should I book? Do you book directly or is there a housing board (like GenCon)?

Not that hard especially If you search for hotels that are some kilometres away as the hotels near SPIEL are often imho a little greedy with their prices at these four days.

wilcoxon wrote:How does registration work? I assume you need a con badge but do you also need to register for individual games/events?

You buy a ticket at the entrance. I never had much hassle there.
If you want to test out a board game you just wait until a place is free not much preregistration needed. (That seems to be very different to how for example Gen Con does it but then SPIEL is more a general Gaming convention.)

wilcoxon wrote:Is there anything else that would be helpful for a first time attendee to know?

SPIEL is a first grade sensory overload. I tend to stay there for only two half days because I get tired. Simply too much stuff there for only one full day.

Have shopping strategy or you will end up carrying around a ton of stuff. Because lets be honest you will be shop there. I always end up spending more money then planned. :lol:

A photo with your mobile will help you remeber interesting stuff that you didn't buy directly at the SPIEL.

The Mead booth is a source of strength..... :twisted:

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:12 am

Hello champion,
A few things. In the morning the queues to buy tickets can be lengthy and for an extra 2 Euro you can pre-order your ticket and print it out avoiding those queues.

The quieter days are usually Thursday (because more people are at work) and Sunday. Those are also the best times to score promo's and free stuff because on Thursday they are still keen and on Sunday they are trying to give everything left over away.

English isn't that troublesome as tons of people speak English. Also with the UK Games Expo, Dice tower and other English only organisations having stalls the show is getting more international.

One important thing is that it's a trade show and so when it shuts at 5 or 6 in the evening it's over. You will need to find people to game or hang with yourself.

Now I haven't been these last 5 years (kids) so things might well have changed.

@Eric Is the Dark Eye at Essen? I take it you are just one of the things available at the Ulissses stand?

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Lambert wrote:@Eric Is the Dark Eye at Essen? I take it you are just one of the things available at the Ulissses stand?

I've just asked Michael (Mingers) if there will be TDE books in Essen and he wasn't 100% sure currently.
Since we have a holiday here today in germany, he will ask the team organizing SPIEL when he's back in the company.

According to this post, they'll have a 100 m2 booth, were you will be able to buy books and games from them directly.
Or play some demo-rounds with games like:
- Aventuria
- Pathfinder
- Fireteam Zero
- Orkensturm
- Myth und MERCS: Recon
- Warmachine, Hordes und Unterstadt
- Infinity
- Guild Ball
- Super Dungeon Explor
- Ninja All-Stars

Return to “Conventions and Events”