Sales Report

Doc Gordon

Re: Sales Report

Postby Doc Gordon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:16 pm

A board game with "SIMPLE" rules... for TORG? Perhaps a series of simpler board games that could, eventually, be brought together? I take your point about the difficulty. So, do you think we role-players are the new dying breed?

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Doc Gordon wrote:Of course you wouldn't.

That's a terribly unrealistic number, I'm afraid, necessary to keep a game line running. The losses will outweigh the games, and we MAY NOT see the completion of the Cosm books, let alone ANYTHING from Year Two as a result. Money needs to be spent for marketing, period; It does NOT matter what type of business it is, without marketing the business cannot sustain its requirements.

Well I just went with what Ulisses said in their own videos.
And given the number of their successfully crowdfundings (30+) they should know what they talk about.

But to put things in perspective, Ulisses Spiele owns TDE. Germany's biggest RPG game. They do the German licences for Pathfinder, Starfinder, D&D 5E, Star Wars, WoD, Earthdawn and soon WFRPG and Savage Worlds as well.

Torg Eternity is the favourite pet project of their CEO. He acquired the game because he is a huge fan of the first Torg edition.
While it is probably more successful then expected it isn't their only iron in the fire.

Ulisses does a lot of marketing, in form of crowdfunding, lets plays, video blogs, conventions, facebook and so on. (just take a look at their youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/UlissesSpiele/videos ) They even have two people that do marketing and one that does community management here in Germany. ( https://ulisses-spiele.de/mitarbeiter/ ) Their effort is just quite spread out given the range of their lines and probably focussed to a hight degree on their bread and butter German market. Their expansion into international markets is an investment in the future.

It is not that they don't invest in Torg. They support it gets is not on the German TDE level. But it is not too far behind. That lavish box treatment you usually see only for stuff like TDE region boxes.

But they don't focus too much on the game as it just one among many. I don't think that there is one RPG company on the market that does beat Ulisses monthly product output when it comes to diversity. Just watch one of those monthly video blogs ( called "vlog" ) and look at the pure number of product that wanders over the table.

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Flash wrote:Well I just went with what Ulisses said in their own videos.

And given the number of their successfully crowdfundings (30+) they should know what they talk about.
Are there videos in English I could watch to get those numbers? I would really appreciate links, because on certain subjects I actually like to be proved wrong.

But to put things in perspective, Ulisses Spiele owns TDE. Germany's biggest RPG game. They do the German licences for Pathfinder, Starfinder, D&D 5E, Star Wars, WoD, Earthdawn and soon WFRPG and Savage Worlds as well.
Man, that's working from a LOT of different game companies, and I was worried about Cubicle 7 having too much on their plate.

Torg Eternity is the favourite pet project of their CEO. He acquired the game because he is a huge fan of the first Torg edition.
While it is probably more successful then expected it isn't their only iron in the fire.
That's fine. A company SHOULD have a lot of different products they're working with. However, imagine what they could do, still, if they spent some of their revenue on advertising?

Ulisses does a lot of marketing, in form of crowdfunding, lets plays, video blogs, conventions, facebook and so on. (just take a look at their youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/UlissesSpiele/videos ) They even have two people that do marketing and one that does community management here in Germany. ( https://ulisses-spiele.de/mitarbeiter/ ) Their effort is just quite spread out given the range of their lines and probably focussed to a hight degree on their bread and butter German market. Their expansion into international markets is an investment in the future.
Okay, you have an excellent point, a few in fact. The marketing they do... is it to the general public or to gamers?

It is not that they don't invest in Torg. They support it gets is not on the German TDE level. But it is not too far behind. That lavish box treatment you usually see only for stuff like TDE region boxes.

But they don't focus too much on the game as it just one among many. I don't think that there is one RPG company on the market that does beat Ulisses monthly product output when it comes to diversity. Just watch one of those monthly video blogs ( called "vlog" ) and look at the pure number of product that wanders over the table.
Okay, this has been quite informative. I forget, focusing on Torg Eternity, that Ulisses Spiele is a German company, in the end. So, allow me to correct my earlier statements... I HOPE they will be able to begin investing in the U.S. market more, especially now that Die Schwarze Auge has not been converted into English, Aventuria is being Kickstarted, and Torg has a bright future. I would LOVE to finally see someone with enough overall market share be able to come in and kick the ever-loving-crap OUT of Dungeon's and Dragon's.

Thank you, again, for the insight.

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Doc Gordon wrote:Are there videos in English I could watch to get those numbers? I would really appreciate links, because on certain subjects I actually like to be proved wrong.

I don't think so. They have far more German the English videos.

But here is the list of there german crowdfundings so that you can see that they are a very experienced company when it comes to this stuff.
The ten english ones you can find at kickstarter.

https://www.ulisses-crowdfunding.de/crowdfunding.php

There is some hilarious stuff on that list. Especially the current german RPG crowdfunding record holder. A supplement about sex in TDE that totally went bonkers or that TDE off shot where you play intelligent cats in Aventurias most well known city... :lol:

Man, that's working from a LOT of different game companies, and I was worried about Cubicle 7 having too much on their plate.

Well they do a lot of translating. You can check the huge number of stuff they have in German at drivetrurpg
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub ... piele-GmbH
Especially the amount of Pathfinder stuff they have in German is impressive. :lol:

Okay, you have an excellent point, a few in fact. The marketing they do... is it to the general public or to gamers?

Mostly to gamers given that they are a game company. But the try to increase their reach. Especially with weekly livestreams. (They switched from youtube to twitch recently) Having a presence on computer game conventions or by releasing a very high quality TDE beginner box that really tries to teach people that never played or gamemastered before.

Generally speaking the German branch is a very accessible company.
You get background info from them that you will never see from US companies.

Okay, this has been quite informative. I forget, focusing on Torg Eternity, that Ulisses Spiele is a German company, in the end. So, allow me to correct my earlier statements... I HOPE they will be able to begin investing in the U.S. market more, especially now that Die Schwarze Auge has not been converted into English, Aventuria is being Kickstarted, and Torg has a bright future. I would LOVE to finally see someone with enough overall market share be able to come in and kick the ever-loving-crap OUT of Dungeon's and Dragon's.

Well TDE has now finished it fifth kickstarter. Aventuria its second and Torg its third. Not too bad. Soon they will have one for Fading Suns and I very much hope that they will bring over Hexxen 1733. That game is a freaking blast and the international audience deserves that game.

I don't think that they can or even want to compete with D&D. After all they translate and sell D&D 5E and Pathfinder.
They will also do Pathfnder 2. As successful D&D earns them money. :lol:

Thank you, again, for the insight.

Glad to be of help. Sadly the English audience is a little bit out of the loop when it comes to Ulisses compared to the German speaking one.

dchart

Postby dchart » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:31 am

Nineteenth Month, 6/8 – 7/7

12 Perils: 0, 8 Million Gods: 0, An Edeinos in Core Earth: 1, Home Front Philadelphia: 1, LibreOffice Templates: 0, Road to Philadelphia: 1, Spirited Tools: 2

Very low sales this month, although Spirited Tools continues to be relatively strong. I suspect that part of this is the wide awareness among people who use DTRPG of the Christmas in July sale, so that many people are waiting for that before buying anything. The fact that the Stretch Goals of the Aysle Kickstarter mention the Infiniverse Exchange (and mean that we are getting more art, yay!) does not seem to have increased interest in it, unfortunately.

I did receive some more good ratings for some of my products right at the end of the month, so we will see what they, and the sale, do for the July sales figures.
David Chart
Infiniverse Exchange Author
Infiniverse Product Bundle: Half Price Until October 1st!

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:01 am

David, we can only hope for more sales.

Possibility Blackout has sold a whole 13 units since May 26th, when I put it up on DTRPG.

dchart

Postby dchart » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:44 am

Twentieth Month, 7/8 - 8/7

12 Perils: 4, 8 Million Gods: 0, An Edeinos in Core Earth: 2, Home Front Philadelphia: 0, LibreOffice Templates: 0, Road to Philadelphia: 1, Spirited Tools: 2

No boost in sales this month, because Infiniverse Exchange wasn't included in the Christmas in July sale. I have no idea why 12 Perils ticked up like that, but the sales numbers are so small that there probably doesn't need to be a reason.

I'm trying a brief special offer on 8 Million Gods (go to https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=9a4876b88e&affiliate_id=78970 for more than 50% off, for the first eight people), so we'll see if that makes any noticeable difference to the sales.
David Chart

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

David, I had not realized you were going month-by-month in your sales, and I thought I might post a report on Possibility Blackout. I have a question... was this thread designed to be your own means of reporting, or did you build this for pretty much anyone? If you request it, I'll move my post to a different thread.

So, Possibility Blackout, based heavily on Greg Gorden's Before the Dawn, but massively expanded and written to conform better to Torg Eternity, was put up on DTRPG on March 26th; I had reported May 26th, which is incorrect. I gave out four copies to GMs who play-tested the adventure. Sales run as follows...

5 in April
1 in May
5 in June
3 in July

It seems to be a mixed bag, honestly, when folks are going to make purchases, and I think it has a lot to do with the random nature of visits from various places on the internet. I asked permission of several sites to be able to post ads for Possibility Blackout and I intend to do it again at the end of September.

dchart

Postby dchart » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Doc Gordon wrote:David, I had not realized you were going month-by-month in your sales, and I thought I might post a report on Possibility Blackout. I have a question... was this thread designed to be your own means of reporting, or did you build this for pretty much anyone? If you request it, I'll move my post to a different thread.

I'm using it to post monthly sales reports, but other people are also occasionally posting numbers, which is fine: it makes it easier to see what the general spread is like.
David Chart

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Okay, cool. I just didn't want to step on any toes. :)

Return to “Infiniverse Exchange”