Reality Storms

Nyarlathotep101

Reality Storms

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Just want to make sure I understand one of the changes from oTorg to TorgE.

If I remember correctly, in the original, reality storms were a constant at the outside edges of the realms. You always had to pass through them to enter or leave.

Now, they are not a constant, just a common occurrence (occurring, I presume, on a "whenever the GM feels like it" basis). Also, they don't drain possibilities from people passing through, which I seem to remember them doing in the old game.

Do I have that right? Am I misremembering the old game or misinterpreting the new one?

Not complaining, mind you, just want to make sure I have my mind right

InertiaKitty

Re: Reality Storms

Postby InertiaKitty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:27 pm

They CAN drain (or even give) possibilities in TorgE (p221, The Storm Has a Name).
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Right. Basically they're for dramatic use. There's usually a break somewhere and we'd rather get to the meat of the story.

However, reality storms can take away reality adds on a Mishap.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Nyarlathotep101

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Which leads to another question

If you have someone with only one reality add, and they lose it to a storm mishap, do they become an ord?

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Nyarlathotep101 wrote:Which leads to another question

If you have someone with only one reality add, and they lose it to a storm mishap, do they become an ord?

Not quite...

Core Rules p221 wrote:If the character has no adds, he transforms.

EDIT: My assumption is that this means, if reduced to 0 adds, rather than starting with 0 adds and getting a result that causes you to lose another.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:25 pm

That actually is a little unclear. It sounds like if you have an add to lose, that's all that happens, and you Transform if you don't have that to give up? Or is it that if, after losing the add, you have none left, then you Transform?

Either way, it seems like you can end up with a Storm Knight with a Reality score of 0, and that can't be right. It probably should say, "If the character has only 1 add, he transforms instead." Because you can't lose that last add and remain a Storm Knight.

On a related note, with Invoked storms, it reads as more optional. Eg., if you have Reality 4, and some Core Earther calls a Storm down on you and wins, you can lose a Reality Add, or you can Transform. Is that accurate? Or do you always lose Reality first, and only Transform when you have none left to give? And there again, does that "none left to give" stage hit when you have Reality 1, or Reality 0?

I love that "Gathering Storm" doubles every time. It keeps it nicely unlikely, but there's a slim chance of an Invoked Storm growing seriously out of control.

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Yeah, I got that, in an invoked storm, it was optional as well. If you want to "lose" and transform, you can. If you want a chance of winning, you have to sacrifice your connection to your current reality and fight on.

I like your read on losing (or more to the point, not) your last add of reality as well.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:43 pm

utsukushi wrote:That actually is a little unclear. It sounds like if you have an add to lose, that's all that happens, and you Transform if you don't have that to give up? Or is it that if, after losing the add, you have none left, then you Transform?

Either way, it seems like you can end up with a Storm Knight with a Reality score of 0, and that can't be right. It probably should say, "If the character has only 1 add, he transforms instead." Because you can't lose that last add and remain a Storm Knight.

On a related note, with Invoked storms, it reads as more optional. Eg., if you have Reality 4, and some Core Earther calls a Storm down on you and wins, you can lose a Reality Add, or you can Transform. Is that accurate? Or do you always lose Reality first, and only Transform when you have none left to give? And there again, does that "none left to give" stage hit when you have Reality 1, or Reality 0?

I love that "Gathering Storm" doubles every time. It keeps it nicely unlikely, but there's a slim chance of an Invoked Storm growing seriously out of control.

If you're talking about Page 222, then the intent is if you lose an reality add, but if you don't have any you transform instead. Call it in on the bug fix form.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm

So you CAN be reduced to zero adds in Reality? Are you considered unskilled at that point, or do you have the skill at +0?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm

You have the skill at +0.

Edit: Which means that it is "Unskilled" per page 77.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”