Unusual Characters

Count Thalim

Unusual Characters

Postby Count Thalim » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 pm

This thread stems from what one of my players wanted to do with her character and I was interested to see a) what other people thought of my ruling on it and b)what other weird and wonderful characters have appeared on peoples radar.

The character is a 14 yr old (She claims that she is 16 to the authorities) girl from India who had some psychic potential before the invasions.
When Day 1 hit and Orrosh swept across India she converted to the new reality, but kept the psychic potential. As such she has several precognition powers. Awareness, Foreshadow & Psychometry.
These all have a social axiom which is supported by CE, but not by Orrosh. So she is perpetually at risk of disconnection.

The rules as written would not allow such a character as only CE, PP & T have psionic lists to allow it, but the Victorian Medium is also a classic of the Orrosh style.
I've OK'd the character mainly on the principles that I like the sound of it and there is no power gaming behind it. I've ruled that like CE she can't take any more non-precognition psychic skills. So she is stuck with the three she has until we get to the PP book I believe.

What does everyone else think of such bending of the rules for an interesting character?
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Kamelion

Re: Unusual Characters

Postby Kamelion » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:48 pm

That's a really cool concept and you should absolutely bend the rules to suit your game. The constant threat of disconnection makes it particularly interesting, especially if you skin that to match the concept - she could experience it as the wrath of the spirits, psychic blackouts, extreme fatigue or whatever. Go for it - it's a great idea :)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:40 pm

I would ask this important question:

What does your group think?
Not just you and that player, but the group as a whole. Will the CP Cyberwarlock player who wanted to be from Tharkold, but Tharkold humans can't use magic, so made the "closest" he could with CP magic be ok with it? because breaking rules for coolz is fine as long as you do it fairly for everyone.

If you want an everything goes for all cosms, fine. If you want a everyone is allowed (but not forced) to get 1 perk from 1 other cosm and then no more ever, that is fine too. Just lay out the rules before the game starts and allow others to change based on this decision.

I have a Tharkoldu, azteca mage-priest, stalenger electric samurai, and a werewolf in my groups, so that shows what I thin about strict adherence to the RAW. But that is based on converting OT characters near the beginning of the campaign when we got TE rules. I made rules for them and both groups were on-board. If enough people grumbled, I would have just scrapped those groups and started over.

Past experience shows that there can be resentment when a GM allows special things for one player, but not others.

Personally, i would think about re-working the gypsy/swami stuff from OT Orrorsh (because I like tinkering with that), or I would have the character go divination magic and convert those three psionic powers to spell variants and let her go from there. A quick Tarot card flip for Foreshadow, drawing protection symbols on the body for Awareness, that the spirits taught her, and Third Eye (Past Visions) for Psychometry. They then she could take scry, and speak with dead spells later and grow that way rather that be a walking contradiction. Divination and Precognition seem close to me in function and they are both Mind skills.

But again, do what is good for your game and your group.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm

I don't understand why the character has to be Orrorsh-ian? I mean, bend the rules, it's your game, I'm just unclear why she couldn't just be a Core Earther from India.

Mediums interact with the spirit world, which usually isn't the province of psionics. An Orrorsh medium would probably have the commune with spirits miracle, or a divination magic equivalent.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:12 am

ZorValachan wrote:I would ask this important question:

What does your group think?
Not just you and that player, but the group as a whole.

It is an important question. I have the major advantage in that my group is made of experienced roleplayers who have been gaming together as players and GMs for a decade so they all know each other well.

The first session was character creation essentially where everyone brought the characters they were considering and we hashed out details and how they knew each other. It helps connect the group together if they have connections from before the game begins.
It also allows ideas to be raised on each others characters and hopefully highlight if there will be overlap or issues between then.

Spatula wrote:I don't understand why the character has to be Orrorsh-ian? I mean, bend the rules, it's your game, I'm just unclear why she couldn't just be a Core Earther from India.

Partially player preference and partially to maintain the Orroshon influence. Otherwise you move outside of Orrosh/India and a lot of the world laws are almost opposed. The Law of Fear Vs the Law of Glory for instance.
A lot of it is thematic but a Core Earther from India has a very different feel to a Orroshon from India
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Count Thalim wrote:
Spatula wrote:I don't understand why the character has to be Orrorsh-ian? I mean, bend the rules, it's your game, I'm just unclear why she couldn't just be a Core Earther from India.

Partially player preference and partially to maintain the Orroshon influence. Otherwise you move outside of Orrosh/India and a lot of the world laws are almost opposed. The Law of Fear Vs the Law of Glory for instance.
A lot of it is thematic but a Core Earther from India has a very different feel to a Orroshon from India

I actually love that they're Orrorshan, and was instead going to ask why they'd want to hold on to any of the psychic stuff from Core Earth? A Victorian medium is a great character concept, but back then, didn't people think about such things in terms of it being spiritual or magical phenomena, rather than psionic?

An Orrorshan character with the Miracles perk could start with both Commune With Spirits and Banish, both of which sound right up a medium's alley. That handles talking to ghosts, and shooing them away. To get the "fortune-telling" aspect down, there are a few different options. One is to use the Spellcaster perk and the Divination skill to have spells like Pathfinder and Clairvoyance. Those have an "otherworldly sight" feel to them, and set the character on the right path toward learning other appropriate "fortune telling" spells like Possibility Shadows and Possibility Rend. Those two might be out of reach for a starting character initially, so their third starting spell could be something like Gain Language. Maybe ghosts and spirits whisper long-dead languages in the medium's ear, giving her otherworldly knowledge of forgotten tongues . . . knowledge from beyond the grave . . . Brrr, spooky!

Alternately, perks like Situational Awareness can also be used to simulate the character having precognitive awareness. Omens and portents warn her of danger, which is what lets her get a card down ahead of time. If the player worked within the natural confines of what the realm has to offer, I think her magical/spiritual "psychic" would still have a mechanically similar experience to her psionic "psychic", but perhaps with the added bonus of being more thematically appropriate. And without all the contradictions, too, or any of that modern-day Core Earth thinking getting in the way.

Obviously, of course, if the player really wants it otherwise, and you're okay with it, the other way is fine too. As long as everyone's having fun.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:42 am

In a similar vein, I have an untried character who is a Core Earth "spellcaster" without the "Spellcaster" perk. She has 3 adds in Language (Latin) and adds in Divination, Alteration, and Aportation magic, and the Miracles Perk. The design concept is before the invasion she always cast spells out of her ancient grimoire, which was lost/destroyed on day one. I am eagerly awaiting the Aysle book for more information on Scrolls, as I envision a few being part of her starting equipment.

Big Lurker

Postby Big Lurker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:32 pm

If none of the gaming group have an issue with it (I try to stay consistent in character options, so if one can have a non-standard build, the rest should too), and the build fits the campaign, I'd say go for it. 'Creepy psychic/medium' fits Orrosh pretty well. Just make sure the player keeps track of any contradictory powers involved. You may want other come up with a list of psychic powers for the realm ahead of time, so they'll know what options they have now, and what will be available later for improvement...

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”