Major or Minor limitation?

ZorValachan

Major or Minor limitation?

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 am

So, I have a player who's character just transformed. The character's back story is it transformed once before. Living Land to Pan-Pacifica, and now to an unofficial realm that has some pulp powers. Looking at limitations, we don't like any of them really (for this character) and I just thought about the multiple transformations. Maybe he's now more susceptible to disconnection. So was thinking maybe 1 case contradictions are now 1-2 and four case now 1-8. Would you consider this a minor or major limitation?

Minor for only when that power is used?
Major for any contradictions?
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Count Thalim

Re: Major or Minor limitation?

Postby Count Thalim » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am

The minor limitation seems fine, but the major one seems almost crippling. It would means the character as a 40% chance of disconnection whenever they do any contradiction. Which to be honest is fairly common in a realm hopping TORG game.
They may be able to reconnect fairly easily, but it is still a delay that will crop up a lot of the time.

Maybe change the major to whenever any pulp (or unofficial realm tech) is used. Even if they only use that one piece of pulp tech it is still a limitation as it restricts them from getting any more.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 pm

ZorValachan wrote:So, I have a player who's character just transformed. The character's back story is it transformed once before. Living Land to Pan-Pacifica, and now to an unofficial realm that has some pulp powers. Looking at limitations, we don't like any of them really (for this character) and I just thought about the multiple transformations. Maybe he's now more susceptible to disconnection. So was thinking maybe 1 case contradictions are now 1-2 and four case now 1-8. Would you consider this a minor or major limitation?

It depends.

If the character never does 4-case contradictions, then it's not limiting at all.

1-case contradictions should be relatively common, but increasing that to 1-2 is at best a Minor Limitation if it's for the power, and even if it's for any contradiction, if those contradictions are usually with the powers _anyway_ then even if it was for 'any' that would still be Minor IMO.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm

ZorValachan wrote:Maybe he's now more susceptible to disconnection. So was thinking maybe 1 case contradictions are now 1-2 and four case now 1-8. Would you consider this a minor or major limitation?

I could be wrong, and playtesting would see, but I think disconnecting on a 1-2 is a very serious drawback, because disconnecting is very nasty. But it also is not very thematic and is impossible for the GM (or anyone else) to decide when to bring into play. So I would be against allowing it both for the player's sake and for the game's sake.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:15 pm

ShirtlessOBrien wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:Maybe he's now more susceptible to disconnection. So was thinking maybe 1 case contradictions are now 1-2 and four case now 1-8. Would you consider this a minor or major limitation?

I could be wrong, and playtesting would see, but I think disconnecting on a 1-2 is a very serious drawback, because disconnecting is very nasty. But it also is not very thematic and is impossible for the GM (or anyone else) to decide when to bring into play. So I would be against allowing it both for the player's sake and for the game's sake.

There are a few limitations with mishaps and malfunctions on a higher range. 1-2 being minor and 1-4. being major. As well as some others left to chance (a hero getting knocked out). So the player is very much in favor for the random chance.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”