Best 3 Reams to hop between for a globe hopping adventure?

Zackzenobi

Re: Best 3 Reams to hop between for a globe hopping adventure?

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:37 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've addressed this before but...

You're wrong. ;)

One of the factors of writing RPG products that most people don't realize is how much layout issues influence what goes into a book. Not just word county but WHERE those words count. We had 6 pages to dedicate to Tharkold's cosm in the player's section. No more, no less. With artwork and formatting for the section header (including Axioms) it amounted to...2,500 words.

You can't go into the fullness of any cosm in 2,500 words. Especially one that's changed as much as Tharkold did.

I mean, look at the Nile Empire and the Living Land. See how much stuff was in there that wasn't in the Core Book? That's going to be the case for Tharkold too. Just because we've highlighted something doesn't mean that's the ONLY thing going on there.

That'd be boring!

Thanks Deanna! I appreciate you. I really do.

I guess I forgot about that sub section concerning the Resistance. I was thinking about how there were no more free cities on Tharkold. The free cities always gave me hope for the Race.

I always saw the Resistance similar to the Mutants vs Sentinals in Days of Future Past. I love tales of Resistance overthrowing their overlords. The never giving up type stories. Heroes winning against all odds.

But I'm glad to hear there is more goodness coming. I should have trusted you and kept my mouth shut.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Not to mention that there's a lot of foreshadowing in the Beta Clearance GM's Primer.

► Show Spoiler

This makes controlled Tharkold probably larger than the Blasted Lands (can't tell because I suck at Mercador projection).
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:33 pm

I'm liking the idea of Aylse/Cyberpapacy/Nile Empire. High Magic, High Tech and then a mix of both in the Nile then lends to generalized weirdness. Plus, absent information about Aylse, I'm going with the idea of a kind of "hate triangle" between the three. Uthorian and Malraux dislike Mobius (the latter hates him). Mobius kind of hates Malraux and doesn't like Utherion. And while they were "buddies" in Old Torg, it's difficult to imagine the "hates magic with a holy passion Malraux" being friendly with evil super-sorcerer Utherion.

That sets up the idea of some high-level High Lord intrigue that could see a party of Storm Knights being used as tools by the High Lords against their rivals.

mathey

Postby mathey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am

I do enjoy some strong contrasts in my Torg globe-trotting and inter-sectional adventures. I personally wouldn't count Core Earth as a separate cosm, since its the foundation underlying and tying things together - even if it has its own, distinct feel. Barring teleportation or something, you'll almost always spend some travel time in Core Earth.

Living Land is maybe the most radically distinct cosm from Core Earth and most of the other realms - stone age tech, alien inhabitants, and all the spiritual elements are pretty unique. I guess the Nile Empire is the most adjacent thematically due to the ties between Lost World adventure stories and the 20's and 30's pulps, not to mention jungle settings being found in both.

Aysle would be a pretty big change compared to the LL - it has some spiritual and fantasy parallels, but the genres and setting details present very distinct origins. Its a lot more familiar territory for many roleplaying dorks, since they often cut their teeth on high fantasy, and the geography would be a big shift from the American jungles of the Living Land.

Pan-Pacifica would be a good third realm to contrast with those two; culturally and geographically its far afield of both, and thematically the darker, paranoid feel would clash in some interesting ways. The idea of corporate intrigue and Resident Evil style action-horror is a definite change from the brutal wilderness of Living Land and the magical feudalism of Aysle.

Something to bear in mind is that you'll want to find a logical (or as logical as Torg gets) thread for the narrative tying your realm-trotting together, ideally seeding the eventual trips to the latter 2 locations in the first.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:33 am

mathey wrote:I personally wouldn't count Core Earth as a separate cosm, since its the foundation underlying and tying things together - even if it has its own, distinct feel. Barring teleportation or something, you'll almost always spend some travel time in Core Earth.

For the purpose of multi-cosm adventures, Core Earth only counts if you actually Adventure there. The travel time through it is just a red line on a map, (or purple dashes for a 2 person Stormer group)

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 am

Clearly Nile Empire for the gadgets & evil gloating
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Savioronedge wrote:
mathey wrote:I personally wouldn't count Core Earth as a separate cosm, since its the foundation underlying and tying things together - even if it has its own, distinct feel. Barring teleportation or something, you'll almost always spend some travel time in Core Earth.

For the purpose of multi-cosm adventures, Core Earth only counts if you actually Adventure there. The travel time through it is just a red line on a map, (or purple dashes for a 2 person Stormer group)

This. You don't get to pick up Core Earth cosm cards just for passing through.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm

Yeah, travel shouldn't really involve dealing cosm cards...but it's funny, I was running an adventure literally titled "Milk Run" and I purposefully made the first scene a very easy one because I had a new player (new to RPGs even). So I had them on the deck of a Delphi Counci spy ship, escaping Hong Kong, in Core Earth. The ship is full of NPCs also escaping, and it's in Core Earth. They're having friendly competitions, like an edeinos warrior vs an Aysle knight in ping pong, and a skeet shooting contest with a monster slayer vs a Tharkold gun nut. I was using this chill scene to teach the new guy the rules and we had been going so breakneck for so long I felt we needed something slow and easy.

And then one of them plays Escalation. Forgot about that card.

So yeah, we didn't get as far as I wanted that night, but it was fun when a Kanawa security ship and sub suddenly attacked and many possibilities were earned and spent, and that little segue scene turned into a LOT of explosions. They took command of several Storm Knights and it was Very Torg. Very Core Earth. Very fun. So it worked out that time.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 pm

I won't even give out Core Earth cards during the briefing unless the action begins during or after the briefing. But I consider the introduction to be part of the Red Line of Travel (tm).
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Me too.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”