Orrorsh should drop a Maelstrom Bridge into New Mexico - Old West / Horror

Blightcrawler

Re: Orrorsh should drop a Maelstrom Bridge into New Mexico - Old West / Horror

Postby Blightcrawler » Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm

LexAmissa wrote:Just a thought, but I think it would be really cool if Orrorsh dropped a Maelstrom bridge into New Mexico and created an Old West / Horror cosm. The tech axioms between Victorian and Old West are essentially the same - its just that culturally it would manifest differently in the Southwest United States.

There's lots of rail and desert in India. Lots of grasslands with roaming buffalo (true buffalo, not bison), cattles, and horses too. Depending on where you are, you get bonus cheetah or crocodiles!

I don't see any compelling reason that "culturally" makes NM (or any region in America) different other than the old town names and John Ford landscapes. As GM, I have more fun in pushing my players' imaginations than recreating 20th century romanticism.

Plus, there's a lot more culturally centered villages, unlike the sporadic modern towns or water-hungry cities of the US. People who live on the land and have made it their home in need of heroes to protect their homes from monsters.

To each their own of course, but you can bring back some Wild West tropes in over the top ways with the already nearby (or consumed, in the case of Gold Rush older-west California) Living Lands through the Law of Wonders as well as showcase them in a new and exciting (and horrific) way by looking closer at the vast variety of India that Orrorsh already covers.

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri May 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Blightcrawler wrote:
LexAmissa wrote:Just a thought, but I think it would be really cool if Orrorsh dropped a Maelstrom bridge into New Mexico and created an Old West / Horror cosm. The tech axioms between Victorian and Old West are essentially the same - its just that culturally it would manifest differently in the Southwest United States.

There's lots of rail and desert in India. Lots of grasslands with roaming buffalo (true buffalo, not bison), cattles, and horses too. Depending on where you are, you get bonus cheetah or crocodiles!

I don't see any compelling reason that "culturally" makes NM (or any region in America) different other than the old town names and John Ford landscapes. As GM, I have more fun in pushing my players' imaginations than recreating 20th century romanticism.

Plus, there's a lot more culturally centered villages, unlike the sporadic modern towns or water-hungry cities of the US. People who live on the land and have made it their home in need of heroes to protect their homes from monsters.

To each their own of course, but you can bring back some Wild West tropes in over the top ways with the already nearby (or consumed, in the case of Gold Rush older-west California) Living Lands through the Law of Wonders as well as showcase them in a new and exciting (and horrific) way by looking closer at the vast variety of India that Orrorsh already covers.

Next you’re telling me a classic Western could take place in Italy. :roll:

;)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat May 18, 2019 2:01 am

Blightcrawler wrote:

TBH India has such a rich history and culture (more than just the English colonial era), but its just not widely known in the US.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:39 am

I'm not sure if "Old West" lifestyle can come from horror-besieged Gaean America, but then there may be "Wild West That Never Were", different from both Core Earth history and Gaean colony...

Fuzzy wrote:The one thing that's frustrating about the Living Land taking out the US is that it's so incredibly monotonous... It doesn't interact with any local stuff so much as obliterate and grow over it. (It's really a one theme reality.)

Myabe the matter is "What kind of jungle?"
I'm not familiar with American terrains amd climates, but, for example, will Cascade Range of Yakima Zone and Congaree Swamp of South Carolina Zone become the same "monotonous" jungle?

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:21 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:Maybe the matter is "What kind of jungle?"
I'm not familiar with American terrains and climates, but, for example, will Cascade Range of Yakima Zone and Congaree Swamp of South Carolina Zone become the same "monotonous" jungle?

Your point is very well made. If you want a terrain or climate, we basically have it. We have tundra, mountains, swamps, deserts, tropics, grasslands, and hill country. Transform those into the living land and you have a lot of opportunity for variation: Rain Forest, Montane/Cloud Forest, Taiga/Boreal Forest, Tropical wetland forests, cactus forests, and biodiversity that would put Costa Rica to shame. It doesn't have to be boring. Let the real world be your guide. You can make a forest with five different ecological layers from jungle floor up to the tree canopy where the creatures in the canopy never see the jungle floor (like Costa Rica). You can make species of the ever-changing fauna that are unique in each area. You can make regional variations on the dinosaurs and Edienos. The Living Land can be an absolute playground for set dressing and world building. Throw in the occasional wonder and your players may never leave.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:42 pm

mistervimes wrote:
I'm not familiar with American terrains and climates, but, for example, will Cascade Range of Yakima Zone and Congaree Swamp of South Carolina Zone become the same "monotonous" jungle?

Your point is very well made. If you want a terrain or climate, we basically have it. We have tundra, mountains, swamps, deserts, tropics, grasslands, and hill country. Transform those into the living land and you have a lot of opportunity for variation: Rain Forest, Montane/Cloud Forest, Taiga/Boreal Forest, Tropical wetland forests, cactus forests, and biodiversity that would put Costa Rica to shame. It doesn't have to be boring. Let the real world be your guide. You can make a forest with five different ecological layers from jungle floor up to the tree canopy where the creatures in the canopy never see the jungle floor (like Costa Rica). You can make species of the ever-changing fauna that are unique in each area. You can make regional variations on the dinosaurs and Edienos. The Living Land can be an absolute playground for set dressing and world building. Throw in the occasional wonder and your players may never leave.

I've been playing a lot of Star Craft II recently; and LL has started to remind me of the Zerg, in that the idea of nature constantly evolving (The Law of Life) breeding harder, fitter predators to protect Lanana.
Question everything.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:03 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
mistervimes wrote:

I've been playing a lot of Star Craft II recently; and LL has started to remind me of the Zerg, in that the idea of an invasive jungle with nature constantly evolving (The Law of Life) breeding harder, fitter predators to protect Lanana.
Question everything.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:28 pm

Lanala = Kerrigan, Queen of Blades?!
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:22 am

Atama wrote:Lanala = Kerrigan, Queen of Blades?!

Maybe. It puts a new take on LL. Alot darker.
Question everything.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”