Things you'd like to know about the Living Land.

Wakshani

Things you'd like to know about the Living Land.

Postby Wakshani » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:16 am

As mentioned, the "What you'd like to know" threads have been a big hit, but, I see no reason why we should leave the books out of the loop that are already released, so, hey! What do you want to know about the Living land? Was there something cool on page 43 that you want to know more about? Want to know how many meals a day the Edeinos eat? curious if Dollywood's a small hardpoint that has a small band of mountain people fighting back? Here's where to ask!

As usual, the focus here is the setting, the story, the people … NOT the rules. This isn't a place to talk about Perk X or Miracle Y, just the setting stuff.

(That said? I'm super curious about superstitions myself. The Edeinos have lots! but … what are they?)

Istrian

Re: Things you'd like to know about the Living Land.

Postby Istrian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am

I'm still having a bit of trouble imagining the different landscapes you can encounter in the Living Land. So far I'm only hit by "generic jungle", "endless snow", "enormous underground but still with generic jungle", and "cities overrun with vegetation". I would have liked to have a description (or picture) of the landscape for each major area, how vegetation is different, how dinosaurs are different, etc.

I also remember something called the "Cult of the Void" mentioned in one of Sebastian's memos in the Delphi Missions books. I think it was in the LL, but I don't recall any further mention on that.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:25 pm

I seem to remember average temp being too high for endless snow. Unless we are talking about a Lost World with it's own World Laws. Maybe I missed something?

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:02 pm

IMHO one of the big things the LL book was missing was Holy items. Thematically speaking, the place should be dripping in them! It's easy enough to home brew some appropriate stuff, but official material is always a nice starting point, to riff ideas off of. *shrug*
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:25 am

Zackzenobi wrote:I seem to remember average temp being too high for endless snow. Unless we are talking about a Lost World with it's own World Laws. Maybe I missed something?

The endless snow mostly referred to the White Zone in Canada. I assumed it would be snowy inside for some reason...

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Istrian wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:I seem to remember average temp being too high for endless snow. Unless we are talking about a Lost World with it's own World Laws. Maybe I missed something?

The endless snow mostly referred to the White Zone in Canada. I assumed it would be snowy inside for some reason...

Just because some of us just went through, literally, 6 months of winter weather doesn't mean it snows all the time here :)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm

fougerec wrote:
Istrian wrote:

Just because some of us just went through, literally, 6 months of winter weather doesn't mean it snows all the time here :)

True.

I believe, measured by mass, Canada is 75% snow and ice, 20% moose, 4% beaver, and 1% everything else. (Hockey pucks, beer, Tim Horton's, etc.)

:D

In oTorg, there was no snow or ice anywhere on Takta Ker, including the polar regions. That heat seems to come with the cosm, but I wonder what the Edeinos think the first time they pop out of, say, Vermont and into New Hamshire, when the ground is covered with the stuff.

That has to be mind-blowing.

(Then again, Lanala's all about sensation, so you probably find a dozen Edeinos who were on a mission instead flopping around in the snow, making snow angels and tossing it at one another while laughing.)

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Wakshani wrote:In oTorg, there was no snow or ice anywhere on Takta Ker, including the polar regions. That heat seems to come with the cosm, but I wonder what the Edeinos think the first time they pop out of, say, Vermont and into New Hamshire, when the ground is covered with the stuff.

(Then again, Lanala's all about sensation, so you probably find a dozen Edeinos who were on a mission instead flopping around in the snow, making snow angels and tossing it at one another while laughing.)

Supposedly Baruk Kaah has been ruthlessly raiding other realities for generations on a holy crusade of conquest. I am sure they’ve heard of snow and ice, some of them may have even experienced it before.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:56 pm

Atama wrote:
Wakshani wrote:In oTorg, there was no snow or ice anywhere on Takta Ker, including the polar regions. That heat seems to come with the cosm, but I wonder what the Edeinos think the first time they pop out of, say, Vermont and into New Hamshire, when the ground is covered with the stuff.

Supposedly Baruk Kaah has been ruthlessly raiding other realities for generations on a holy crusade of conquest. I am sure they’ve heard of snow and ice, some of them may have even experienced it before.

Oh, legends and stories for certain, but as for experience?

I noticed that dinosaurs in the Living Land grow to adulthood one year after being hatched. It makes me wonder if that holds true for Edeinos and, if so, just how young *are* Kaah's people? Some of the Edeinos might have lived half their life on Earth in the year of the invasion...

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:02 pm

LTTP...
Wotan wrote:IMHO one of the big things the LL book was missing was Holy items. Thematically speaking, the place should be dripping in them! It's easy enough to home brew some appropriate stuff, but official material is always a nice starting point, to riff ideas off of. *shrug*

Agreed, I feel like this is a big missing piece from the Living Land. The few spiritual plant "items" in the gear section were a good start, but I feel like there should be something about items spontaneously becoming imbued by faith, kinda like Aysle's thing when you roll high.

There is an Infiniverse supplement on the topic, though: Spirited Tools, by David Chart.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”