Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

TorgHacker

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 pm

graethynne wrote:Okee dokee a couple of questions about Whirlwind (and then I will have fine-toothed all of the spells except the cantrips, whew!)

Full spell copied below -

First question - If this initial casting targets something and you exceed DN 10 but get less than the Dodge of the Target does the spell fail? I.e. suffer backlash and no ongoing duration? If so, is this intended?

Related, assuming that both answers to the above are yes, could you multi-action to 1) cast the spell and then 2) do a n apportation test to attack someone? That way assuming you hit the (now) DN 12 to cast it you would still have a whirlwind even if the attack missed, is that right?

Question the second - in the good and outstanding results, it appears that targets need only be hit in order to be moved. Is that intended or should this require suffering shock as well?

1. Yes, the spell fails if you are specifically targeting a foe, and don't hit it's dodge. The DN 10 is for creating a whirlwind without directing it at a target. Yes, I know this can be a bit weird, but that's magic. :-)

1b. No, because you can't use the same skill on a Multi-Action.

2. They move even if they don't take Shock.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Rabbitball wrote:
graethynne wrote:
Rabbitball wrote:
If you're caught, you're moving.

I don't think I understand your answer to the second question though. The Standard effect requires a target suffer shock in order to swept along.

The Good and Outstanding results don't appear to explicitly require that. Is that the intended outcome or should they also require a target to suffer shock in order to sweep along targets?

Thanks,

Graydon

The answer I gave was how I designed it. Apparently, editing put the requirement in on Standard that you need to suffer at least 1 Shock, so this is an issue that has crossed above my pay grade to answer. I think it depends on why the spell was reworked to include the requirement at Standard, a discussion that took place after I turned the spell in.

Honestly I don't know. I don't recall doing that myself, so it could have been something Darrell did. Or I'm just forgetting I did it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Padre

Postby Padre » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:29 am

Istrian wrote:Question about Tolwyn and House Tancred. Tolwyn was dead for a while after dealing with the Carredon so I assume a new leader was chosen for House Tancred. Then Tolwyn came back and House Tancred is loyal to her (I assume she became the leader again). What happened to the previous leader? Were they happy to hand back command? Did they accompany Ardinay on her crusade? Are they plotting to overthrow or oppose Tolwyn?

I don't remember Tolwyn being the leader of House Tancred. (I could be wrong. I need to go back and reread it.) I always picture her as the best warrior and war leader, but with her father or brother as the House Leader. It's kind of like Edward the Black Prince's relationship with Edward III.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Padre wrote:I don't remember Tolwyn being the leader of House Tancred. (I could be wrong. I need to go back and reread it.) I always picture her as the best warrior and war leader, but with her father or brother as the House Leader. It's kind of like Edward the Black Prince's relationship with Edward III.

The oTorg version had her father Bordal as leader, but as eldest, she was to take over, her brother Alastair would handle the game wardens as second child, and Gareth would be sent off to a monastery or some such as the youngest. But Gareth arranged the death of Alastair and Bordal, and when Tolwyn "fell", he took over.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Speaking of Aylse, two questions!

One: Line of succession... is it firstborn MALE heir, or just firstborn, or "Whomever the current ruler picks"?

Secondly, who are the noble houses? We know House Tancred and... other major houses? Minor? Do we have names for Tolwen's Bannermen?

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 pm

Wakshani wrote:Speaking of Aylse, two questions!

One: Line of succession... is it firstborn MALE heir, or just firstborn, or "Whomever the current ruler picks"?

Secondly, who are the noble houses? We know House Tancred and... other major houses? Minor? Do we have names for Tolwen's Bannermen?

Greg Nagler did the most work on this, but what I am going with in my game is:

Succession goes to firstborn regardless of gender.

The noble houses of oTorg are still in effect, however, only Tancred, Gerrik, and Liandar are on Earth. The rest are stuck on Aysle. Other details for minor houses, Bannermen, etc. are not finalized yet.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Sounds about what I had as well.

Keen!

And leaves open a few idears.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 am

Padre wrote:I don't remember Tolwyn being the leader of House Tancred. (I could be wrong. I need to go back and reread it.) I always picture her as the best warrior and war leader, but with her father or brother as the House Leader. It's kind of like Edward the Black Prince's relationship with Edward III.

Aysle SB p 68. Unless it should be read as Tolwyn is only the leader of the Tancreds on Earth.

coyotegrey

Postby coyotegrey » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:10 pm

King John's Circlet in "To Save a Challenger." Does it give Darkness Perks to people who might not qualify for them? Can someone who is not from Aysle get one in this manner? (or in other ways that Darkness Perks are forced on you) Similar to Cosm Adaptation I guess, where you might get changed by some of the World Laws/Darkness without fully transforming.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:42 am

Helped a player build a dwarf tonight and had a few questions (and one suggestion) regarding Runemaker:

1. Carving a "quick rune" as an action requires a roll against dwarven runes. What about carving a permanent rune into equipment -- does that still require a skill roll? The rules aren't explicit here, and I read it as "yes because assume the rules from earlier still apply" while he read it as "no because this is a different situation and it doesn't say it does."

2. Can an item have multiple permanent runes? Can I give my axe a Wind rune and Stone rune so it staggers and is favored?

3. Permanent runes can be switched on and off. So can you carve more than three permanent runes, as long as you activate no more than three at once?

4. I figure the answer to #3 is "no," but if so then does that mean that once you carve three permanent runes, you're done forever? You can't upgrade your gear, etc.?

5. Also, if the answer to #3 is "no," there's no reason you'd ever need to bother switching off Stone or Wind runes, right? It's just for things like Fire, that would be inconvenient?

And a suggestion, from my player:

6. It's a bit hard to swallow the idea that someone can only carry three pebbles, when it seems that the runemaker is just smoothing out stones that are otherwise normal. Upon careful reflection, we realized that this would make much more sense if it was stated (or even just rephrased to imply) that there was a bit of partial enchantment going on here. If it's not too late, just changing "can make new stones" to "can magically prepare new stones" would be helpful.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”