Cyberpapacy Preview #9 - The GodNet (Part 2)

Eightybrains

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #9 - The GodNet (Part 2)

Postby Eightybrains » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 pm

If activity is what you want, then activity you shall get!

I like that the Hacking rules are being kept simple, though I'm mildly disappointed that the GodNet isn't as much of a full "setting" as it was in OTorg.

The thing that really drew my attention was the bit about how the GodNet reflects a person's "soul" or "true appearance" or something to that effect. It's a logical extrapolation from the way the GodNet works, and yet the impact of that on trans people would really change the the world in interesting ways and is something that most settings don't acknowledge (though I get the feeling that it was inevitable given the circumstances ;) ).

Also the decker/hacker character art is adorable.
I’m just here ‘cause it’s my Special Interest

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:46 pm

TorgHacker wrote: I will not deny the puzzlement at how inactive it was. :-)

I am still going to say something about making hackers useful outside the GodNet, but I was...uh...a bit busy. For reasons. ;)

I felt there was a need to kick up a fuss, but I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I think the busy-ness was building up like a blocked pipe anyway. It was just a matter of time.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Jim wrote:
TorgHacker wrote: I will not deny the puzzlement at how inactive it was. :-)

I am still going to say something about making hackers useful outside the GodNet, but I was...uh...a bit busy. For reasons. ;)

I felt there was a need to kick up a fuss, but I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I think the busy-ness was building up like a blocked pipe anyway. It was just a matter of time.

No, no. Don't be sorry. A fuss was needed to be kicked up, unfortunately. Like I said earlier I was getting really frustrated myself.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:12 am

Eightybrains wrote:If activity is what you want, then activity you shall get!

I like that the Hacking rules are being kept simple, though I'm mildly disappointed that the GodNet isn't as much of a full "setting" as it was in OTorg.

I still wonder whether we're going to see the Angels & Demons of oTorg.

The thing that really drew my attention was the bit about how the GodNet reflects a person's "soul" or "true appearance" or something to that effect. It's a logical extrapolation from the way the GodNet works, and yet the impact of that on trans people would really change the the world in interesting ways and is something that most settings don't acknowledge (though I get the feeling that it was inevitable given the circumstances ;) ).

Yeah, that's quite nice!

I'll also admit that it comes as a (good) surprise after the Core Rules using "he" pretty much everywhere.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:27 am

Yoric wrote:I'll also admit that it comes as a (good) surprise after the Core Rules using "he" pretty much everywhere.

I agree. The OTorg rules were better on this issue, and it was a bit jarring to see the reversion to the mean.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:57 am

Kanaris wrote:
Yoric wrote:I'll also admit that it comes as a (good) surprise after the Core Rules using "he" pretty much everywhere.

I agree. The OTorg rules were better on this issue, and it was a bit jarring to see the reversion to the mean.

Hmmmmmm...this comment surprised me, and I just did a search through the Core Book for 'she' and looking in reference to when it's a generic person. I can't say that they're equal with 'he' but there's a pretty significant number of them in the Perks and rules sections.

That said, the plan is that when we get to Year 2 we're going to start using the singular 'they' to refer to a generic person.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Badger3d

Postby Badger3d » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:29 am

I like a mix of pronouns, rather then all he, she, or they. But at times it can be confusing especially when the pronoun changes within the same section, and your unsure if the author is referring to a new person, or not.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:55 am

Badger3d wrote:I like a mix of pronouns, rather then all he, she, or they. But at times it can be confusing especially when the pronoun changes within the same section, and your unsure if the author is referring to a new person, or not.

Yeah, the style guide is that you're not supposed to switch in the same section.

Edit: Different sections could be different spells or Perks though.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:00 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Badger3d wrote:I like a mix of pronouns, rather then all he, she, or they. But at times it can be confusing especially when the pronoun changes within the same section, and your unsure if the author is referring to a new person, or not.

Yeah, the style guide is that you're not supposed to switch in the same section.

There was a time in the '90s when every new system used she instead of he, I always thought it was to get more female gamers interested in the hobby. Changing to 'they' would be better, more generic.

It would be interesting to find out what pronoun gets used for translated versions; if there are any translated versions?
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Eightybrains wrote:If activity is what you want, then activity you shall get!

It's a bit more than you might think...there's a lot of stuff that hasn't even been mentioned yet.

:-)

Maybe. While I don't believe that there has to be a story reason for there to be representation, if there was any cosm that being trans was significant it was this one. Having your soul uploaded was something that I had in mind right from the beginning. Something I like to do is think about consequences of the premises of a setting, which is why I liked the fact we decided that the Cyberpapacy has been cyber for a long time. I had to consider what that society would actually be like, and why there are some differences with what you might expect a classic cyberpunk setting to be.

Though I felt that I could get away with those differences (namely with corporation infighting and extreme capitalism) because we also have Pan-Pacifica and those tropes fit even better there.

Also the decker/hacker character art is adorable.

I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally happy how she turned out.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”