Cyberpapacy factories

Yoric

Cyberpapacy factories

Postby Yoric » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:10 am

Currently reading the Cyberpapacy SourceBook. I'm trying to picture a Cyberpapacy factory, filled on Sundays with believers. Does this mean that it's crowded on Sundays and closed every other day of the week?

Also, why do you need factory workers in the first place? Does this mean that the Cyberpapacy is somehow worse at automatizing than Core Earth?

TorgHacker

Re: Cyberpapacy factories

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:21 am

Yoric wrote:Currently reading the Cyberpapacy SourceBook. I'm trying to picture a Cyberpapacy factory, filled on Sundays with believers. Does this mean that it's crowded on Sundays and closed every other day of the week?

Also, why do you need factory workers in the first place? Does this mean that the Cyberpapacy is somehow worse at automatizing than Core Earth?

No, there's factory workers normally. It's just that people are also expected to 'volunteer' on Sunday's.

But yes, the Cyberpapacy is crap at automation.

As in, there practically is none. There are no robots.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 am

Ok, so this basically means that streets and everything other than factories are empty on Sundays, making Sunday a very good day to rob a bank... if you can somehow make yourself invisible to the Panopticon. I imagine that the Cyberpolice is somehow exempted, right?

And this also means that the factories are mostly empty 6 days per week.

I imagine that this makes Sunday factories de facto social places, despite the Law of Suspicion.

What about children? Are they part of the Sunday workforce?

Taking notes :)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 am

Yoric wrote:Ok, so this basically means that streets and everything other than factories are empty on Sundays, making Sunday a very good day to rob a bank... if you can somehow make yourself invisible to the Panopticon. I imagine that the Cyberpolice is somehow exempted, right?

I imagine that this makes Sunday factories de facto social places, despite the Law of Suspicion.

Except there are no banks. No cash, scudos are all in the Godnet. And whatever valuables exist, they are still protected by the Church Police and surveillance, who patrol as normal, so good luck with crime. :)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:24 am

Yoric wrote:Ok, so this basically means that streets and everything other than factories are empty on Sundays, making Sunday a very good day to rob a bank... if you can somehow make yourself invisible to the Panopticon. I imagine that the Cyberpolice is somehow exempted, right?

No, not everybody works in the factories on Sundays. I'll be tweaking the specificity on that.

But yes, child labor is totally a thing, but not something we want to highlight.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:26 am

Yoric wrote:Currently reading the Cyberpapacy SourceBook. I'm trying to picture a Cyberpapacy factory, filled on Sundays with believers. Does this mean that it's crowded on Sundays and closed every other day of the week?

MUCH worse than automation. There are no robots doing jobs that Humans can do. Instead, you have old-school assembly lines, like the US during the Model T era, or Germany in WWII. This makes sure that people are never idle but instead are working.

(The work week in the CYberpapacy is 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, for a punishing 72 hour work week. You often have people maimed in the machines but no big deal … you can get a cyberlimb for a replacement.)

It's pretty mind-numbing, backbreaking labor, but the Chrch makes sure that you can relax afterwards with a nice dose of Joy when you log into the Godnet.

You also have Artisinal workers who do less assembly-based workwith more creativity, but their output is terribly low. Drone artisans, for instance, is a dying job now that hard light drones are taking over from mechanical ones. Previously, a Drone Artisan would take weeks, months, even *years* to carefully create the vessel of a drone, making it of gold, silver, copper, brass, bronze, or, if you had no other option, steel, with unique flare, trying to make it as pleasing to God as possible. When the vessel was finished, you'd take a day or so to put the guts in … a few circuitboards as was laid out in the Illuminated .TXT with colored wire connecting things in a blessed arrangement.

Once finished, you connect the vessel to the Godnet and pray all night long... no one ever manages to stay up the entire time, but you endure as long as you can to show your piety. Eventually, you collapse because everyone is well aware that God doesn't want His work observed and if you stay awake the ENTIRE time, it always fails. When you wake with the morning bells ringing, hold your breath … as the Sun comes over the horizon, if you prayed hard enough and created a pleasing-enough vessel, it will stir to life, blessed by God via the Godnet, whirring to life with whatever task that god has chosen for it.

You have pleased Him and you can see that right in front of you! Huzzah!

ORrrrr… it fails to whirr to life. You did something wrong … perhaps you forgot a few words while praying or you stayed up too long. Most likely, the vessel simply wasn't pleasing enough, so you have to throw the entire thing out and start anew from scratch. (Use the same parts to make a new one, when it's clearly offensive in the eyes of the Lord? Are you MAD?! Out it goes, unworthy, unclean! Drive it from your home!)

So there's a constant output of goods, and it can be staggeringly volumous (Again, look at Model T production), but is also horribly inefficient.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:09 am

Even worse, production lines do not exist. (p15)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:35 am

Gargoyle wrote:Even worse, production lines do not exist. (p15)

True!

I should have pulled it back to more 1850-era.

Ever read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"?

Because it's *ugly* in Cyberpapacy factories.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:46 am

Gargoyle wrote:Except there are no banks. No cash, scudos are all in the Godnet. And whatever valuables exist, they are still protected by the Church Police and surveillance, who patrol as normal, so good luck with crime. :)

Banks were an example, but I'm sure Heroes can find an Eternity Shard or two to steal from, say, an administration :)

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:59 am

Wakshani wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:Even worse, production lines do not exist. (p15)

True!

I should have pulled it back to more 1850-era.

Ever read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"?

Because it's *ugly* in Cyberpapacy factories.

Oooohhh... that's very interesting.

There is a difficulty, though. Before production lines, when factories were really workshops, working in one required extremely qualified skills. That's probably not quite as true in the Cyberpapacy, because you're not expected to care about losing life or limb, but still.

How do Sunday workers cope with this? Are they only assigned dumb labor? Are skills uploaded?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”