Reliquaries

Zackzenobi

Re: Reliquaries

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:13 am

graethynne wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:The only thing I have so far from the Cyberpapacy kickstarter is the Cyberpapacy Sourcebook. I'm sure everyone is out for the holiday week. Who do I email on monday?

When Cosms Collide was part of the Aysle croudfund. Hope that helps,

Grae

Oh ok well I am on painkillers since I was in a car wreck on Christmas Eve. Sorry.my bad.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:45 am

Yoric wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Yup.

I realize that there's no space to turn this into a Law like the Law of Wonders, but I think it would be nice if this was given a little more visibility :) Between Reliquaries and revelation-by-prayer, the Cyberpapacy becomes a very, very, very tempting destination for everyone, in particular the Delphi Council ("Let's find how to beat everyone!") but also Pan-Pacifica (The same, but also "Let's save years of R&D!"), the Nile Empire ("What do you mean, they have archives on the Egypt That Never Was and we don't?"), Victorians ("I dare say someone should find out this book they have on the origins of Horrors, shouldn't they?"), Thrakmoss ("Yesssss.... knowledge from beyond death...."), ...

Hey, if there was space, I'd call Reliquaries + revelation-by-prayer the Law of Revelation :)

To be clear...the Reliquaries don't have _all_ knowledge...they just could have any knowledge.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by 'revelation-by-prayer'?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:55 am

TorgHacker wrote:To be clear...the Reliquaries don't have _all_ knowledge...they just could have any knowledge.

Sure. But, if I understand correctly, just like Wonders in the Living Land, it's a good place for a Gold Rush: out of the people who actually survive an assault on a Reliquary, very few will hit gold, but some will return with something of such a high value that it can change the balance of the War.

I mean the subsection called “Science” in the Cyberpapacy.

Also, I don't know if that's what you had in mind, but in my campaign, I'm planning to not have it stop at technology. For instance, instead of investigating, the Inquisition and even Church Police will routinely pray for revelation of the name of culprits. If William of Baskerville shows up in the Cyberpapacy, he will very quickly learn to pretend that he's praying instead of thinking :) I believe that this fits very well with the Orwellian nightmare that you have described.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:10 am

Yoric wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:To be clear...the Reliquaries don't have _all_ knowledge...they just could have any knowledge.

Sure. But, if I understand correctly, just like Wonders in the Living Land, it's a good place for a Gold Rush: out of the people who actually survive an assault on a Reliquary, very few will hit gold, but some will return with something of such a high value that it can change the balance of the War.

I mean the subsection called “Science” in the Cyberpapacy.

Also, I don't know if that's what you had in mind, but in my campaign, I'm planning to not have it stop at technology. For instance, instead of investigating, the Inquisition and even Church Police will routinely pray for revelation of the name of culprits. If William of Baskerville shows up in the Cyberpapacy, he will very quickly learn to pretend that he's praying instead of thinking :) I believe that this fits very well with the Orwellian nightmare that you have described.

Ah. No, that's not the way it works. I mean, if that's the way you want it to work in your game, that's fine. But it's not like "oh I'm going to pray and get a breakthrough"...it's "I woke up this morning and got a breakthrough" or "I saw the sun rise and got a breakthrough"...
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:59 am

TorgHacker wrote:Ah. No, that's not the way it works. I mean, if that's the way you want it to work in your game, that's fine. But it's not like "oh I'm going to pray and get a breakthrough"...it's "I woke up this morning and got a breakthrough" or "I saw the sun rise and got a breakthrough"...

Trying to wrap my head around the difference. Does this mean that you get the revelation without having the intention of getting it? Does this mean that the revelation can happen to anyone, regardless of whether they can actually make use of it?

Ampersands

Postby Ampersands » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:59 am

Yoric wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Ah. No, that's not the way it works. I mean, if that's the way you want it to work in your game, that's fine. But it's not like "oh I'm going to pray and get a breakthrough"...it's "I woke up this morning and got a breakthrough" or "I saw the sun rise and got a breakthrough"...

Trying to wrap my head around the difference. Does this mean that you get the revelation without having the intention of getting it? Does this mean that the revelation can happen to anyone, regardless of whether they can actually make use of it?

From what I read in the sourcebook, yes and yes. Random people would have dreams of new cyberoptics or limbs or appliances and would have to write down the details when they woke up. Which lead to a lot of inspirations being lost because the dream fades too soon or you don’t understand what God was showing you.

And nowadays, if I remember correctly, Ebenuscrux is the only one inventing things and nobody’s being granted visions of new tech anymore.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:03 am

Ampersands wrote:And nowadays, if I remember correctly, Ebenuscrux is the only one inventing things and nobody’s being granted visions of new tech anymore.

Is that how you interpret it? My understanding was that you had to somehow pray to Malraux to get the visions (from Ebenescrux) whereas in the past, you prayed to God to get the visions (from God). Which I take as meaning that Ebenescrux has somehow partially erased God from Magna Verita, hence explaining a decreasing Spiritual Axiom.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:37 am

Yoric wrote:

Yes. And right now, it's actually not happening to _anybody_, and hasn't since Malraux became the Cyberpope. It's all Ebenuscrux giving 'revelations' to Malraux.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:40 am

Yoric wrote:
Ampersands wrote:And nowadays, if I remember correctly, Ebenuscrux is the only one inventing things and nobody’s being granted visions of new tech anymore.

Is that how you interpret it? My understanding was that you had to somehow pray to Malraux to get the visions (from Ebenescrux) whereas in the past, you prayed to God to get the visions (from God). Which I take as meaning that Ebenescrux has somehow partially erased God from Magna Verita, hence explaining a decreasing Spiritual Axiom.

Yes.

Page 110 under Costs of Creation:

"Ebenuscrux’s heresy has had long-term
repercussions. In addition to its greatest
achievement, the creation of the GodNet, one
great secret is that nobody—not a single soul—has
received divine inspiration from God to create new
technology since Malraux became the Cyberpope.
The only one who knows this is Ebenuscrux itself.
Malraux thinks he is the one blessed by God to
receive these visions, but the truth is these visions
are actually coming from his Darkness Device."
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Oh. I had completely misunderstood.

I... need to wrap my head around this. I had found the notion of revelation extremely interesting so I'm a bit sad about this.

By the way, while we're at it, is there anyone who legally has access to Reliquaries? Or is it something that Malraux wishes to hide under the carpet?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”