Aysle Backer Archetypes

Impra
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:09 am

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Impra » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Magic WonderBra +1

mystic101
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby mystic101 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:
mystic101 wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:Well I dont care how they do it. I just hope we get an Elven Monk.


Okay. I think I’ll take the plunge, and do a monk as mine then.


Love what you did there! :D


Thanks! I like yours, too. (My computer's been out of commission for a few days, or I would've responded sooner!)

Zackzenobi
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

Your changing how the Law of Enchantment affects the Elven Monk was genius.

I also love how you introduced a new type of villian in the entry. Necromancer Death Monks! I cant wait to fight some of those!! When do we get to see an official write up for them?

Kanaris
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Kanaris » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

Your changing how the Law of Enchantment affects the Elven Monk was genius.

I also love how you introduced a new type of villian in the entry. Necromancer Death Monks! I cant wait to fight some of those!! When do we get to see an official write up for them?


I agree. I thought the Ayslish Monk perk brilliant in the simplicity and elegance of the design. The Elven Monk and the Noble Scion really leap off the page and both are great at projecting the magic of Aysle into other realms. The Noble Scion is almost the perfect tragic hero (tragic in the Sturm Brightblade Dragonlance sense, not Shakespeare/Greek mythology sense!).

I really like the array of archetypes - it was great to see the Pixie, Minotaur and Centaur. The Pixie Shrink Item spell was very well done IMHO, and the Minotaur gumshoe a nice twist on the concept, and the Centaur's attitude very convincing. I especially liked "James Bard" and the Heiress, the Rowdy Protector is a great well-rounded fantasy character and perfect for Torg style heroism with a dash of elan, and the Quantum Magician and Academic Warden both intellectual magician types while being utterly different :)

Zackzenobi
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 am

Kanaris wrote:
I agree. I thought the Ayslish Monk perk brilliant in the simplicity and elegance of the design. The Elven Monk and the Noble Scion really leap off the page and both are great at projecting the magic of Aysle into other realms. The Noble Scion is almost the perfect tragic hero (tragic in the Sturm Brightblade Dragonlance sense, not Shakespeare/Greek mythology sense!).


Well with the Noble Scion, I was going for more of a Richard Taylor's Ivanhoe meets T'Challa. Storm Brightblade was a bit of an empty suit to me. I dont remember him cracking a smile. But the problem with the Archetypes is the space is sooo limited. I wanted to add a little more personality but I lost room with getting the art I wanted. Which I am very proud of. Its definitely the favorite of the 3 I've done. I'm not sure how I'll be able to top it.

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:13 am

Zackzenobi wrote:
Well with the Noble Scion, I was going for more of a Richard Taylor's Ivanhoe meets T'Challa. Storm Brightblade was a bit of an empty suit to me. I dont remember him cracking a smile. But the problem with the Archetypes is the space is sooo limited. I wanted to add a little more personality but I lost room with getting the art I wanted. Which I am very proud of. Its definitely the favorite of the 3 I've done. I'm not sure how I'll be able to top it.


Welcome to being a creative. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:
Well with the Noble Scion, I was going for more of a Richard Taylor's Ivanhoe meets T'Challa. Storm Brightblade was a bit of an empty suit to me. I dont remember him cracking a smile. But the problem with the Archetypes is the space is sooo limited. I wanted to add a little more personality but I lost room with getting the art I wanted. Which I am very proud of. Its definitely the favorite of the 3 I've done. I'm not sure how I'll be able to top it.


Welcome to being a creative. :-)


Thx for having me. I just reread what I wrote. Sorry if I sounded full of myself.

Wakshani
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Wakshani » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:
Kanaris wrote:
I agree. I thought the Ayslish Monk perk brilliant in the simplicity and elegance of the design. The Elven Monk and the Noble Scion really leap off the page and both are great at projecting the magic of Aysle into other realms. The Noble Scion is almost the perfect tragic hero (tragic in the Sturm Brightblade Dragonlance sense, not Shakespeare/Greek mythology sense!).


Well with the Noble Scion, I was going for more of a Richard Taylor's Ivanhoe meets T'Challa. Storm Brightblade was a bit of an empty suit to me. I dont remember him cracking a smile. But the problem with the Archetypes is the space is sooo limited. I wanted to add a little more personality but I lost room with getting the art I wanted. Which I am very proud of. Its definitely the favorite of the 3 I've done. I'm not sure how I'll be able to top it.


I have no idea how much Deanna had to cut from the archetypes I sent up, but I know a lot because the wordcount was about half what I first thought.

Already crying inside. :D

When they drop, if I get permission, I'd love to show the full ones up in here, or the backgrounds from some that didn't make the cut. Archetypes are my fave thing in the world, and giving someone a good motivation is key, but, wordcount, man. Wordcount is a harsh, harsh mistress.

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Wakshani wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:
Kanaris wrote:
I agree. I thought the Ayslish Monk perk brilliant in the simplicity and elegance of the design. The Elven Monk and the Noble Scion really leap off the page and both are great at projecting the magic of Aysle into other realms. The Noble Scion is almost the perfect tragic hero (tragic in the Sturm Brightblade Dragonlance sense, not Shakespeare/Greek mythology sense!).


Well with the Noble Scion, I was going for more of a Richard Taylor's Ivanhoe meets T'Challa. Storm Brightblade was a bit of an empty suit to me. I dont remember him cracking a smile. But the problem with the Archetypes is the space is sooo limited. I wanted to add a little more personality but I lost room with getting the art I wanted. Which I am very proud of. Its definitely the favorite of the 3 I've done. I'm not sure how I'll be able to top it.


I have no idea how much Deanna had to cut from the archetypes I sent up, but I know a lot because the wordcount was about half what I first thought.

Already crying inside. :D

When they drop, if I get permission, I'd love to show the full ones up in here, or the backgrounds from some that didn't make the cut. Archetypes are my fave thing in the world, and giving someone a good motivation is key, but, wordcount, man. Wordcount is a harsh, harsh mistress.


Yeah...unfortunately a lot of the cool details had to get cut. Also, I slotted in some other archetypes instead...not quite finished them yet. Still working on SB edits.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kanaris
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:
Well with the Noble Scion, I was going for more of a Richard Taylor's Ivanhoe meets T'Challa. Storm Brightblade was a bit of an empty suit to me. I dont remember him cracking a smile. But the problem with the Archetypes is the space is sooo limited. I wanted to add a little more personality but I lost room with getting the art I wanted. Which I am very proud of. Its definitely the favorite of the 3 I've done. I'm not sure how I'll be able to top it.


Welcome to being a creative. :-)


Thx for having me. I just reread what I wrote. Sorry if I sounded full of myself.


I didn't take it that way! It's great people are passionate about the game and their contributions to it. I must admit in my read of the Scion I brought some of my own baggage - the perk made me think of an uncorruptible character of Light in places like Pan Pacifica and Orrorsh, but when you think about it it means he is able to draw on Aysle cosm cards even in those places, they don't touch him the same way as other storm knights. (Still, Sturm - how dare you :lol:).

I do a lot of non-creative writing under deadlines. That's hard enough but it has a certain structure and rhythm to it and creativity is generally strongly discouraged. I am in awe of creative writers who do the same but make stuff up and worrying all the time if people will like it. When I saw Deanna's task list on these forums recently, during the middle of her busy weather season, I nearly fainted in sympathy. Admittedly, you saw the vapours a lot more in movies from the 30s and 40s, so its more of a Nile Empire than Core Earth thing :roll:


Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests