Hello

Warden

Hello

Postby Warden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:07 am

Hi all

Looking for a new fantasy rpg similar to D&D in themes and settings but not in mechanics

DTE5 looks like a good fit :)

Lambert

Re: Hello

Postby Lambert » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:19 am

Hello there,
I find there is a huge difference in Themes.

In D&D you have a group of super powerful murder hobos which even as early as they 7th level can by themselves raise an entire town to the ground and defeat an entire army.

Every level gives the players more and more combat powers escalating the problem.

In the Dark Eye the heroes will advance and get better but say 3 bandits (per hero) are a serious threat for even advanced heroes and your local Baron can always raise enough of a guard (or mob) to take care of an unruly PC party.

So in the Dark Eye you can't afford to dismiss the nobility or wealthy merchants as they have means not available to the party.

The game therefore puts far greater emphasis on social aspects, negotiation and conflict avoidance rather than chaining tactically interesting fights together.

Still The Dark Eye is a cracking game and I am sure you can have a lot of fun with it.
Last edited by Lambert on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warden

Postby Warden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks Lambert, that does sound interesting

yvesvanherp

Postby yvesvanherp » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Hello guys,

I am from Belgium and I play TDE since 1985.

I played the Dutch version at first ("Het Oog Des Meesters") and afterwards I changed to the German version ("Das Schwarze Auge"). I still have everything in German (also the newest edition that's now translated in English and everything that WILL BE translated soon).

I also wanted however the English version (that's why I kickstarted this fantastic project) because English is easier to my gaming group and I am a retired teacher English.

I hope you guys will find TDE as fantastic as I do.

Greetings,

Günter

Warden

Postby Warden » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:52 am

I've read that there's a Magic 1 book, and a Gods book 1, but if there's a book 1, does that mean there's going to be a Magic 2 and Gods 2 book? Then there's a Blessed 1 book, and I read about a Compendium book, and also, that the core book is missing special abilities and spells for remaining priests, like Ingarimm

I'm a little concerned that if I buy the core rule book, it won't have everything I'll need to play

yvesvanherp

Postby yvesvanherp » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:04 am

Hi Warden,

with the core rules you WILL have everything to play, be sure about that.

There will however be some expansions in the future, like there are in D&D and in Pathfinder.

But believe me ... the core rules will do great for you and your group. It's the foundation for a fantastic adventure through Aventuria. You'll have all the material you need at your fingertips.

Regards,

Günter

Warden

Postby Warden » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:44 am

Thank you for clarifying Gunter

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:09 am

This is right. You only need the Core Rules and (Aa description of the gaming world) the Aventurian Almanac.

If you want to go deeper, then you can pick the deep rules like Compendium, Magic 1+2 and Blessed Ones 1+2 (gods 1+2 is the same as blessed ones 1+2).

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”