House Rules

TorgHacker

Re: House Rules

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 am

RamblingScribe wrote:
Also, I generally prefer DSR in the middle of other action like combat, so there are usually other things to do. It seems weird that there is a situation where the players decide to stop defusing the bomb and shoot at gospogs or whatever, but mechanically these things are not tied together. Again, I can say, "the gospogs were getting to close for you to work, so you shot them. I know you missed, but it made them back off enough that you can defuse the bomb next round." But I am retroactively justifying their choice based on the letter not being on the card.

There's nothing wrong with retroactively explaining what happened because of card plays and certain die rolls.

There is this tendency, long ingrained admittedly through the years, that RPGs only work by saying what you're going to do, then checking the dice to see if it worked.

You can also play by rolling the dice, and then using those results to explain what happened or why.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:04 pm

TorgHacker wrote:There is this tendency, long ingrained admittedly through the years, that RPGs only work by saying what you're going to do, then checking the dice to see if it worked.

You can also play by rolling the dice, and then using those results to explain what happened or why.

Yeah, we are pretty down with that in some ways. One big examples is with things like persuasion. I don't give bonuses for good role-play, they check the results and then role-play their success level.

We were trying that with DSR steps, and I think it worked for some of them, at least some of the time, but there were some awkward moments.

I think the challenge is that there is an extra step where the player realizes that they can't do a step, and they don't have a reason why. They have to either make up their own justification and comparable action, ask me the reason and then choose an action, or else just choose an action and I retroactively come up with a justification. Or just accept that it's because the card says so. I think that option one is the best, but that is definitely a bit of a paradigm shift. All of the other feel a bit awkward. It may be that we've had some situational variables either from weird chance or misunderstanding the rules as we learn. I think the big DSR in Orrorsh day one took 12 rounds to finish, and it was very abstract, and they actually had little difficulty with the outside elements, so there were definitely a few rounds of nothing happening because the card didn't come up.

I will ask my group about it. Maybe they really just need to adjust their thinking.

bchoinski

Postby bchoinski » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:There is this tendency, long ingrained admittedly through the years, that RPGs only work by saying what you're going to do, then checking the dice to see if it worked.

Yeah, we are pretty down with that in some ways. One big examples is with things like persuasion. I don't give bonuses for good role-play, they check the results and then role-play their success level.

This is one case I feel it has to be done. Example: character takes a small pistol, sword, or even a mail-covered fist to a tank, hits well and manages to get an ungodly number of BD rerolls, getting 2-3 wounds. You can only handle this post-event with something like "you somehow clipped the fuel line, causing an catastrophic fire" or something -- stating what you plan to do beforehand would be breaking a lot of immersion as the GM gives you the stink eye.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:21 pm

I kind of feel that lessening the reliance on the ABCD order of DSR would pretty much just make it standard skill resolution...

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:14 pm

Reviving this hela-old thread...

Here are some House Rules I am looking to incorporate. I look forward to them being ripped to pieces (so I can build them back up again in a better form).

Destiny Deck Card Burn

When drawing from the Drama Deck for initiative, draw 1 card from the Destiny Deck and discard.

Intent: Reduces the chance of getting every card during a game with a lot of combats. In original Torg the Drama Deck and the Destiny Deck wee one in the same. So every time you drew for initiative, it killed one of the potential "destiny" cards. It used to be fun to see that Glory card buried by it being used as an initiate card.

Note: We haven't play tested this yet. I am also considering doing the same thing for the Drama Deck. But maybe just burning one a round. But this seems less "important" to me.

Fear

When a character is affected by the Fear Special Ability they are Very Stymied (as is currently in the rules). The Very Stymied condition does not go away automatically but each round a Willpower or Spirit test can be taken as a free action to remove this condition. Removal of what caused the Fear will also cause the condition to be removed.

Intent: To make Fear more "fearful" or "dreadful" rather than a "jump scare."

Note: We haven't play tested this yet.

Chase Rules & Hand to Hand Combat

1. Whoever is at a higher step in the DSR controls the narrative of the chase to a certain degree. If the Predator is ahead she may say that she is right next to the Prey or she may say she is taking a route to try to cut the Prey off.

2. If the narrative from point 1 is that they Predator and Prey are close to each other then hand to hand combat is allowed. The participant who is at a lower step in the DSR receives a -2 penalty to a combat skill check for each step. The participant at the higher step attacks with no step penalty.

Intent: To emulate the chariot race in Ben Hur (and the countless movies that have paid homage to or copied it).

Note: Minimal play testing but worked well when we did it. This one can get tricky and the GM may have to overrule what a player may go for (but should do their best not to).
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:37 am

I'm not seeing the need for the destiny card burn, but I also have a lot of math under my belt, so I know that burned card could be a Leadership or it could be a Connection. I see no mechanical effect on the deck other than making it require reshuffling sooner, but if the players are into it, then it certainly couldn't hurt.

The fear rule can get really nasty really quickly. That makes the initial roll the most important since the PCs are looking at -4 on attempts to break out of it. In later rounds, they would have cards in their pool to help. It also adds more dice-rolling, but if players are on the ball and roll as soon as they take their turn, then that should minimize downtime. The lingering Very Stymied might be too tough, but if you lower the DN by 1 or 2 every round, then that makes it meaningful while still beatable.

The DSR one seems reasonable. I like the idea of having a benefit for being in the lead.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:03 pm

We're playing a TORG games based on Brooklyn 99.

It's dumb, but my favorite house rule is that we re-roll on 9s instead of 10s. Noine Noine!

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:39 pm

We have a few straightforward house rules. For more details, see the link in my sig below.

Cross-Cosm Learning

If the story justifies it, characters can pick up perks from other cosms, but these always cause a personal contradiction. Thus, in the perk's cosm it's a 1CC (unless you have Adaptable); everywhere else it's a 1CC (unless it has a * then it's a 4CC). Mark such a perk with a !.

Why: This allows for more varied and "out-there" characters, it adds some tension and uncertainty, and it constantly reminds that player of the differences between the realities of each cosm. These are all good things!

Falling Damage

To find damage (+1BD) for any fall of 5+ meters, take the Torg value of the distance (in meters), subtract 3, and multiply by 5 (max 40). For example, if someone falls 13 meters, that's Value 5, minus 3 is 2, and 2 * 5 = Damage 10 +1BD.

Why: Someone broke down the math here on the forums, and it really makes more sense both realistically and dramatically. Plus it's one fewer table you need.

Leveled Arcane Perks

If you take the same arcane perk multiple times (e.g., you already have Spellcaster and you take Spellcaster again), it adds two new miracles/powers/spells instead of one.

Why: This just brings the benefit in line with the other "enhanced arcane perks" being introduced in source books, such as Optant and Pulp Sorcerer, which each give at least two new arcane abilities.

Reality (Skill)

The Reality skill is based on Charisma, not Spirit.

Why: Thematically, Charisma represents your presence, how the world reacts to you as an inspiring hero, which is the most definitive part of being a Stormer; this is why Reality perks have Charisma prereqs more often than Spirit ones, why Corruption drains your Charisma, etc. Mechanically, this keeps Charisma from being a "dump stat"; Spirit has more than enough skills and uses already and doesn't suffer from this change.

Two-Handed Weapons

Balanced, two-handed weapons -- like quarterstaves and longswords -- are excellent defensive weapons. As such, anyone using such a weapon gets +2 to their melee weapons defense (just as dual-wielders do), unless the weapon has the Min Str or Unwieldy trait.

Why: Not only is this more believable and accurate, it also allows for a wider range of "weapon master" characters. Cinematic staff-slingers are just as cool as ambidextrous blade dancers!

Upgrading NPC Allies

A player with an attached NPC ally (e.g., a follower or animal companion) may choose to spend XP on the NPC instead of on her own PC. The first perk added costs the usual 5 XP, regardless of how many perks the NPC's base template contained.

Why: There's already a precedent for "buy a perk that gives your NPC a perk," so this just generalizes that rule further and makes it simpler by not having to track which PC perks actually boost NPCs and so on.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Pkitty, my group thinks your site is awesome! And the rule about reality as a charisma skill is genius, we have adopted that immediately.

It would be interesting to see how some groups' house rules have gone during play. My group thinks that the progression for spells, miracles and psionics is too slow but I worry that doubling the rate of acquisition will make those perks too powerful when compared with other perks.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Out of all the House Rules and additions I've made the 2 that I feel the best are:

1) Charisma as the Reality skill for all the reasons stated.
2) Super Attribute and Super Skill are bonuses (and adhere to the Bonus Stacking rules). This prevents the weird XP cost as well as figuring out what to do when the Powers are lost.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”