This game though!

Ysidro

This game though!

Postby Ysidro » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Greetings from the USA!

While I remember looking through the english version of TDE 4th edition, I also remember thinking "what do those Germans see in this game?" After awhile, I was going down a TVTropes hole and read the article on TDE there. There was enough interesting information to bring me here and to check out the few threads on RPG.net.

And then I decided I deserved an early Christmas present for myself and bought a bunch of 5th edition books! I don't know why, but there's something about this game that scratches an inch. I really appreciate that a lot of things I'd have problems with have actually been thought of in this edition. For example, while I usually like point buy systems, I don't like when they have too many options (I just can't deal with Hero system!) and no guidelines. But cultural and professional packages help with that. And even more, having arrays for your attributes to help build a character quickly instead of having to figure out "what's the best number of points to put into this character?" is greatly appreciated.

I"m sure I'll have a bunch of questions coming up, but for now will just say hello and Happy Holidays!

Lambert

Re: This game though!

Postby Lambert » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Don't get me wrong, the Dark Eye isn't perfect, but man it has many great qualities.

There are some super experienced players on here and a few who through the German books are ahead in the release line and hence can answer questions for which no material has yet been released.

All in all have fun and don't be shy, this is a quite friendly community.

wilcoxon

Postby wilcoxon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Welcome aboard from another (want-to-be) player in the US. I don't suppose you're in the upper midwest?

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:22 am

Welcome here. It's nice to see the community growing. There are even a few English TDE novels that will allow you to delve deeper into the world.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Ysidro

Postby Ysidro » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:28 pm

No, not in the midwest. Sorry.

There are english language novels? I knew there was a short story collection, but full on novels?

So I was going through the Core Rules today, flipping through some of the stuff in the back I haven't read yet when I came across the checklist for optional rules. German efficiency at it's finest! :D

wilcoxon

Postby wilcoxon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I knew there was an English anthology but hadn't heard of any novels. What are they (and where can I get them)?

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2254

It should be 5 books in total:

- Realms of Arkania: The Charlatan
- Realms of Arkania: The Lioness
- Realms of Arkania: The Sacrefice
- TDE: Starless Sky
- The Andergast (Visual Novel)

The Realm of Arkania books are very old novels from the time of TDE3
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”