Nile Empire Sourcebook Questions

pkitty

Re: Nile Empire Sourcebook Questions

Postby pkitty » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 am

Okay, thanks; I see now how I was misinterpreting it. I'm not sure if it needs a slight rephrasing to avoid that happening, or if it was just a unique quirk of my brain. Either way, thanks for clearing that up; it makes much more sense now. :)

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Sword of Spirit wrote:I want this cosm. Too bad New York is taken. Germany is just setting there looking tasty though.

I am just saying, those proton packs look suspiciously out-of-axiom to me for Core Earth. And ghosts never showed up in significant numbers until the Ghostbusters built a giant weird machine in a basement.

I say Venkman was High Lord of Earth.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 pm

The Gadgeteer perk allows the character to start an adventure with 2-3 minor weird science gadgets, which must be different than the gadgets chosen for the previous adventure. There are 3 such items in the Gear chapter - the ray gun, rocket pack, and force field belt.

1) I’m assuming the player can make up new gadgets beyond those three, or else the perk wouldn’t be useful. So in a sense the perk allows the player to create 2-3 gadgets based on any pulp power, correct?

2) Can the player also pick from listed gadgets in the Gear chapter? The rocket pack, for example, is different than just the basic Flight power in that it has an enhancement.

3) Presumably one can’t make a Gadgeteer gadget. What about a Rocket Ranger Battlesuit gadget? I guess there’s nothing wrong with that - the perk is balanced against the others and all - but that one feels a bit weird to me for some reason. EDIT: what about Weird Scientist and Gizmos?

Thanks!
Last edited by Spatula on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Spatula wrote:The Gadgeteer perk allows the character to start an adventure with 2-3 minor weird science gadgets, which must be different than the gadgets chosen for the previous adventure. There are 3 such items in the Gear chapter - the ray gun, rocket pack, and force field belt.

1) I’m assuming the player can make up new gadgets beyond those three, or else the perk wouldn’t be useful. So in a sense the perk allows the player to create 2-3 gadgets based on any pulp power, correct?

2) Can the player also pick from listed gadgets in the Gear chapter? The rocket pack, for example, is different than just the basic Flight power in that it has an enhancement.

3) Presumably one can’t make a Gadgeteer gadget. What about a Rocket Ranger Battlesuit gadget? I guess there’s nothing wrong with that - the perk is balanced against the others and all - but that one feels a bit weird to me for some reason.

Thanks!

1. There's like 5, but 2 aren't really portable. So I allow powers to be chosen.
2. By wording, I'd say yes, but i suggested to my player to just buy/obtain it, if he doesn't care about enhancements. His character has like a 6 strength and Dex, so he just bought forcefield outright to get the 5 charge enhancement.
3. Personally I limit it to actual powers, but It might end up as a similar looking result.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm

ZorValachan wrote:3. Personally I limit it to actual powers, but It might end up as a similar looking result.

Sure, but what's a "power," exactly? They're all in the Pulp Powers chapter. Gadgeteer would be prohibited because it'd be like wishing for more wishes. Or maybe just because the character already has that "power." I could come up with a rationale for anything else. The Rocket Ranger suit is already a gadget of sorts, as is the Unbreakable Shield. Weird Scientist could be a "thinking cap" gadget. One issue is Gizmos, which requires Weird Scientist. Doesn't seem right allowing that as a valid choice, unless maybe you also had to have a Weird Scientist gadget.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Spatula wrote:The Gadgeteer perk allows the character to start an adventure with 2-3 minor weird science gadgets, which must be different than the gadgets chosen for the previous adventure. There are 3 such items in the Gear chapter - the ray gun, rocket pack, and force field belt.

Correct.

Yes.

3) Presumably one can’t make a Gadgeteer gadget. What about a Rocket Ranger Battlesuit gadget? I guess there’s nothing wrong with that - the perk is balanced against the others and all - but that one feels a bit weird to me for some reason. EDIT: what about Weird Scientist and Gizmos?

Thanks!

No. No. No. No.

#OhMommaMiaMommaMiaMommaMiaLetMeGo
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:12 am

Could you have any Magic, Miracle, Psi power as a gadget? I.e. there is a miracle for staff of insect swarm or something, could you create a gadget based on that? Or a cap of foresight? Etc.
Question everything.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:37 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Could you have any Magic, Miracle, Psi power as a gadget? I.e. there is a miracle for staff of insect swarm or something, could you create a gadget based on that? Or a cap of foresight? Etc.

No.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Sir Awesome

Postby Sir Awesome » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:16 pm

So I hope I am no repeating someone else's question I couldn't get access to the Google Doc with the corrections to the Nile Emipre Book.

I would like to ask about the Phantasm Spell and illusions in general

Phantasm Spell
1) Was the attack really supposed to be a simple action?

if yes
2) How does that work with multi actions as you get 2 simple actions a turn? Can you attack with the illusion twice a turn?
3) Does this mean that I can attack with my illusion as one of my 2 simple actions, and then shoot with a gun as my normal action with no multi attack penalty?
4) How does this work with dmg stacking as it could be considered two separate sources of dmg?

if no
5) can i cast the spell and then make an attack in the same turn as I believe that would require a multi action with the same skill used twice?

Other question
6) What is the range of the attack with the illusion?
7) can people outside of 25 see the illusion or help with a disbelieve roll against the illusion?
8) Once my primary target is dead or defeated can the illusion stick around to attack someone else?
9) Can I move the illusion after I create it? ( I assume yes and would use normal rules for moving an illusion, but wanted to make sure)

Question about Illusions
10) There doesn't seam to be a lot of "summoning or teleporting in" of things in the Nile outside of illusions. So does that mean that my players should be creative in their descriptions of "things appearing" in order for smart bad guys to not go "Oh something just appeared out of thin air that means illusion and I disbelieve", or is the idea that the illusion appears in a believable way understood with in the class of spell?
11) Free actions are allowed to be taken when ever players or GM want/need with no limit. Does that mean that once a player or myself has cause to disbelieve an illusion then we just keep rolling until we succeed? (I assume no, but was just wondering what the thought process was behind how often one can try and disbelieve)
12) If someone creates an illusions of a Door and I get pushed through it (but fail the disbelieve roll) then do I still think there is a door there, and someone just opened it and closed it real fast as they pushed me, or do I still "see" the door but realize logically that it isn't there?

Food for thought before the Nile launches:
Illusions are really really hard to disbelieve as most of the time it will be a basic stat roll against what is probably a main stat and main skill roll. I didn't know if you intended for illusions to no be disbelieve the large majority of the time, or if I was missing something.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Sir Awesome wrote:So I hope I am no repeating someone else's question I couldn't get access to the Google Doc with the corrections to the Nile Emipre Book.

Corrections have closed.

I'll answer the rest later, but I will say that Phantasm was a spell that already is getting clarified.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”