Nile Empire Sourcebook Questions

pkitty

Re: Nile Empire Sourcebook Questions

Postby pkitty » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 am

Okay, thanks; I see now how I was misinterpreting it. I'm not sure if it needs a slight rephrasing to avoid that happening, or if it was just a unique quirk of my brain. Either way, thanks for clearing that up; it makes much more sense now. :)

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Sword of Spirit wrote:I want this cosm. Too bad New York is taken. Germany is just setting there looking tasty though.

I am just saying, those proton packs look suspiciously out-of-axiom to me for Core Earth. And ghosts never showed up in significant numbers until the Ghostbusters built a giant weird machine in a basement.

I say Venkman was High Lord of Earth.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 pm

The Gadgeteer perk allows the character to start an adventure with 2-3 minor weird science gadgets, which must be different than the gadgets chosen for the previous adventure. There are 3 such items in the Gear chapter - the ray gun, rocket pack, and force field belt.

1) I’m assuming the player can make up new gadgets beyond those three, or else the perk wouldn’t be useful. So in a sense the perk allows the player to create 2-3 gadgets based on any pulp power, correct?

2) Can the player also pick from listed gadgets in the Gear chapter? The rocket pack, for example, is different than just the basic Flight power in that it has an enhancement.

3) Presumably one can’t make a Gadgeteer gadget. What about a Rocket Ranger Battlesuit gadget? I guess there’s nothing wrong with that - the perk is balanced against the others and all - but that one feels a bit weird to me for some reason. EDIT: what about Weird Scientist and Gizmos?

Thanks!
Last edited by Spatula on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Spatula wrote:The Gadgeteer perk allows the character to start an adventure with 2-3 minor weird science gadgets, which must be different than the gadgets chosen for the previous adventure. There are 3 such items in the Gear chapter - the ray gun, rocket pack, and force field belt.

1) I’m assuming the player can make up new gadgets beyond those three, or else the perk wouldn’t be useful. So in a sense the perk allows the player to create 2-3 gadgets based on any pulp power, correct?

2) Can the player also pick from listed gadgets in the Gear chapter? The rocket pack, for example, is different than just the basic Flight power in that it has an enhancement.

3) Presumably one can’t make a Gadgeteer gadget. What about a Rocket Ranger Battlesuit gadget? I guess there’s nothing wrong with that - the perk is balanced against the others and all - but that one feels a bit weird to me for some reason.

Thanks!

1. There's like 5, but 2 aren't really portable. So I allow powers to be chosen.
2. By wording, I'd say yes, but i suggested to my player to just buy/obtain it, if he doesn't care about enhancements. His character has like a 6 strength and Dex, so he just bought forcefield outright to get the 5 charge enhancement.
3. Personally I limit it to actual powers, but It might end up as a similar looking result.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm

ZorValachan wrote:3. Personally I limit it to actual powers, but It might end up as a similar looking result.

Sure, but what's a "power," exactly? They're all in the Pulp Powers chapter. Gadgeteer would be prohibited because it'd be like wishing for more wishes. Or maybe just because the character already has that "power." I could come up with a rationale for anything else. The Rocket Ranger suit is already a gadget of sorts, as is the Unbreakable Shield. Weird Scientist could be a "thinking cap" gadget. One issue is Gizmos, which requires Weird Scientist. Doesn't seem right allowing that as a valid choice, unless maybe you also had to have a Weird Scientist gadget.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Spatula wrote:The Gadgeteer perk allows the character to start an adventure with 2-3 minor weird science gadgets, which must be different than the gadgets chosen for the previous adventure. There are 3 such items in the Gear chapter - the ray gun, rocket pack, and force field belt.

Correct.

Yes.

3) Presumably one can’t make a Gadgeteer gadget. What about a Rocket Ranger Battlesuit gadget? I guess there’s nothing wrong with that - the perk is balanced against the others and all - but that one feels a bit weird to me for some reason. EDIT: what about Weird Scientist and Gizmos?

Thanks!

No. No. No. No.

#OhMommaMiaMommaMiaMommaMiaLetMeGo
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”