Destiny cards for smaller player count

Zackzenobi

Destiny cards for smaller player count

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Is there a rule somewhere about changing the # of Destiny cards each player receives in a smaller group? How many should they get in a 2 player group or solo? I know its supposed to be balanced for 4 but it's not always easy getting that many together.

Atama

Re: Destiny cards for smaller player count

Postby Atama » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 pm

No rule. There have been a couple threads discussing it, but unfortunately the forum search doesn’t work or I’d dig them up for you.

(If you try to search for “hand size” for example, it ignores the word “size”; it’s pretty much useless.)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Very recent discussion of that here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3371 including my house rules for exactly what you're talking about.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Taliesin

Postby Taliesin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Is there a rule somewhere about changing the # of Destiny cards each player receives in a smaller group?

You could try this: http://www.ulisses-us.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3371#p33126.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Nice, I don’t read the Game Stories board, didn’t realize that was there. :)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:00 pm

So if it's just me and the Game Master, should I play 2 characters?

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:So if it's just me and the Game Master, should I play 2 characters?

So.... I have been known to play Chess by myself, 4 character parties and DM without other people (AD&D and 3E), and 6 player games of Avalon Hill's Advanced Civilization without other players, so don't let anyone tell you it's impossible to play multiple characters if that is what you need.

That said, my ability to keep secret information separate while playing multiple "people" speaks more to my mental instability and is not really something to look up to. I would suggest for Single Player Games, 1) the player and GM openly discuss what the character is good at, is challenged on, and is impossible with before play starts. The GM can cover some of the more difficult checks with NPCs, can avoid some, and can find ways for the character to "fail forward" on others. Add in a 'ghost pool' of cards and possibilities, and you should be able to enjoy any session without needing to play multiple characters.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:16 am

Eternity is very much an "open information" game, though, so partitioning out secret information isn't really a big deal. You're encouraged to play optimally. I'd say go for it.

Though you may still want to do the ghost pool. The card play really doesn't seem to work very well with two characters, either, from what I've heard.

Shayd3000

Postby Shayd3000 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:01 pm

I am currently running a group with only 2 players (+1 GM of course). I have found that so far it is not a problem running the game RAW. I have not had to tweak any encounters so far and have found the players are able to cope well.

I will say, they do A LOT of card play and talking with each other, but I think that is part and parcel to how TORG is supposed to be played. They work pretty hard to try and make sure the right cards are in the right players hands at the right time. Doesn't always work out.

So far we have played:
*All of Day One (except Tharkold and Orrorsh, which I had 4 players for)
*From Delphi Missions:
*Just Plane Dangerous
*Search and Rescue
*Tombstorm
*The Heart of Ukhaan
*First Walk from Living Land Missions (They got 2 Glory's in this one)

All of those missions were scaled to player count and we found overall it worked rather well.

We are currently just wrapping up Act 3 of God Box, and so far the two players have not had any issues, though the final battle in Act 3 has proven to be a bit of a challenge, but so far they have two of the Avatars defeated with two to go. They have been doing A LOT of trading cards to get Coup De Gras into the high damage output players pool, and that player also does a lot of All Out Attacks to take advantage of the Law of Savagery. So, yeah, they are having to crank the damage way up and keep it focused but they are getting by.

My observation and experience so far is that if the players are paying attention and working together, the TORG mechanics really work in their favor to succeed. For the God Box, I was a bit disappointed that the encounters were not scaled, but, I'm not convinced they needed to be based on how things have gone so far. Yes, there has been some close calls - but isn't that where the excitement comes in? It must not be too much because in Act 1 they pulled off TWO Glory results, and in Act 3 they've gotten one.

Now, that said, I would love one or two more players into my group and continue to advertise on this board and elsewhere to find them, but I just haven't found that only two players doesn't work. I think the extra players just add a little bit more variety to the characters (thus more abilities available) and maybe a bit more of a safety cushion. I dunno, maybe things will be different in the Nile....

George
I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom.
--Bob Dylan

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”