Casting into melee

TorgHacker

Re: Casting into melee

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:54 am

fougerec wrote:Maybe something similar to Mobility in D&D? If you attack someone in melee you can move away without becoming Vulnerable?

I could have sworn we already had a Perk like that but it might just be a Special Ability for threats at the moment.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Honestly, given that movement is basically `free' and the Becoming Vulnerable thing is the only problem with moving in and out of melee... I like that better in the sense of it feeling more like at least it's the Melee character doing something, but functionally I don't see the difference. Eternity assumes a more fluid, `descriptive' battle scene - ie, that you're not tracking positions on a map - and with the two sides moving all at once and the players having total control over what order they move in...

I mean, it's already totally in the player's control to do things in "the right order". Interaction Attackers go, then Ranged Attackers, then the Melee Attackers step in, and nobody steps on each other's toes. It's only the next round, when the Melee people are still there and the Ranged group wants to hit the same target, that this even comes up. If Team Melee can just make their attack and freely step back to let the Ranged folks go, and then swap orders again the next turn...

This still just lets the Melee character take a Perk that negates Firing Into Melee. The pressure is still on the Melee character to take it, and it still means a whole group can use this plan with only one person taking one Perk. I suppose it might occasionally mean the Bad Guys can move around the Melee character and get to the Ranged group, but unless the Ranged folk are standing too close... not often.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:41 pm

True, but it's not necessarily for that purpose. What it's really useful for is those with Whirlwind.

In fact, I'd make Whirlwind a Pre-req for it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 pm

TorgHacker wrote:True, but it's not necessarily for that purpose. What it's really useful for is those with Whirlwind.

In fact, I'd make Whirlwind a Pre-req for it.

Savioronedge wrote:‡ I am still considering Whirlwind as a prerequisite

Sunrunner

Postby Sunrunner » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:37 am

Yeah Whirlwind being a prereq makes sense to me. Also give the power of the perk it should be behind a gate.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”