Is Psionic Technology possible...?

coyotegrey

Re: Is Psionic Technology possible...?

Postby coyotegrey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:04 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Pan-Pacifica has the feel of the Nile Empire to me. It's going to have sooooooooooooooooo much stuff in it.

Ha, if there was a slack-like thumbs up I would be using it instead of replying. Since I replied, I'll just add that I imagine this will include some form of psi inhibitors. Collars, drugs, etc. :)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:43 pm

This also begs the question, psi can be bolstered with tech, could magic also be bolstered with tech? Could miracles?

A helmet or collar that gathers ambient magic and concentrates it for use, temporarily increasing the magic axiom by 1 or allowing a single spell to be cast that's of a higher magic axiom.

.. could magic, psi or miracles bolster tech is they were sufficient high enough?

A magic spell for powering cyber or weapons? Maybe a miracle for increasing damage of a .38 pistol to do the damage of a .357 Magnum? Or psi to imprint a clockwork man with consciousness to produce an A.I.?
Question everything.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:51 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:This also begs the question, psi can be bolstered with tech, could magic also be bolstered with tech? Could miracles?

A helmet or collar that gathers ambient magic and concentrates it for use, temporarily increasing the magic axiom by 1 or allowing a single spell to be cast that's of a higher magic axiom.

.. could magic, psi or miracles bolster tech is they were sufficient high enough?

A magic spell for powering cyber or weapons? Maybe a miracle for increasing damage of a .38 pistol to do the damage of a .357 Magnum? Or psi to imprint a clockwork man with consciousness to produce an A.I.?

Sure. I mean...that's basically what the cyberwitch is doing (e.g. Hexxer). The key though I think is to do it thematically.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm

I could, in theory, easily see a spell cast on a magazine that essentially made it provide infinite ammo for a short while (e.g. 1 minute). The bullets would vanish after the duration, but that wouldn't remove the holes they put in people before then. However, I don't think doing so matches any of the cosms that are around. Conjuring solid objects is axiom 17 "with great difficulty", so conjuring a large number of small objects on a rapid basis ought to be at least 18. That's higher than any cosm except Aysle, and Aysle doesn't exactly have the tech to support it. You could do an everfull quiver though.

An infinite power cell would work at axiom 14 though, which would work for Cyberpapal energy weapons (or electronics in general). Or Nile ones for that matter, but those tend to be powered by weird science already.

I am also reminded of the Bloodshadows setting West End Games did for Masterbook, which had some tech that was magically powered or enhanced. I think there were cars powered by bound elementals, for example. They also had rune bullets - bullets that cast some spell when fired (or when the bullet hit). That's basically the concept behind the Slayer's Gun, though that's a bit more involved. But I'd put rune bullets at axiom 12 (charged enchanted items that last until the charges are used up).

Other than that, I can't really think of much in the way of specifically enhancing technology with magic. That is, I can definitely see a spell that would make something faster, but it would probably work the same on a rowboat or raft as on a modern car.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 pm

There was technomagic from Tharkold in oTorg, mind you it kinda ended up being better than everything else imo so that's always something you need to watch for...

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 pm

The miracle behind Chanukah basically enhanced a tech object...everful oil reserves. Pain powered items in Tharkold are essentially useing psychic energy.

Using the old TORG spell creation system, my cyberwitch could create spells to enhance her 'ware; and my CE witch created spells to enhance miracles.

The only real limit is, as has already been mentioned, balance.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:56 am

Savioronedge wrote:The miracle behind Chanukah basically enhanced a tech object...everful oil reserves. Pain powered items in Tharkold are essentially useing psychic energy.

Using the old TORG spell creation system, my cyberwitch could create spells to enhance her 'ware; and my CE witch created spells to enhance miracles.

The only real limit is, as has already been mentioned, balance.

... and imagination! :D
Question everything.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:14 am

TorgHacker wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:This also begs the question, psi can be bolstered with tech, could magic also be bolstered with tech? Could miracles?

Sure. I mean...that's basically what the cyberwitch is doing (e.g. Hexxer). The key though I think is to do it thematically.

Of course with Aysle being exposed to higher tech axioms from Nile, Cyberpapacy, Tharkold and even Orrosh (and having thr magic axiom to support it), I would expect their wizards/mages would be researching these kind of spells to help the war effort. They might not understand the science, but would that matter?
Question everything.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:21 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Of course with Aysle being exposed to higher tech axioms from Nile, Cyberpapacy, Tharkold and even Orrosh (and having thr magic axiom to support it), I would expect their wizards/mages would be researching these kind of spells to help the war effort. They might not understand the science, but would that matter?

But would they be trying to improve these technological objects or would they be looking at them as arcane artefacts (Due to their axioms) and attempting to replicate them with magic and then improve upon them.

It is a sort of reverse Asimovs 3rd Law "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"

You can probably make the exception for those who are actually reality rated as the fundamental shtick of any Storm Knight/Stormer is to bend reality to your will rather than reality enforcing itself upon you.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 am

In my oTORG games, I generally had several flavors of this:

• Technomagic: Using technology to simulate magic/miracles/psi (I was a Babylon 5 fan)
  • Occultech: Using technology to boost magic, from Tharkold.
  • Spiritech: Using technology to boost miracles, from the Cyberpapacy.
  • Psitech: Using technology to boost Psi. I had the Kadandrans (Hachi Mara Two's people) in my campaign.
The balance usually was that you were creating a contradiction if the Tech Axiom was too low and running the risk of cyberpsychosis. A lot of it was just flavor, such as using cyberchips instead of grimoires (nowadays I'd probably have e-reader spellbooks ;) Also, there was always the chance that your enemies could damage or steal your tech.

In the end, if you and your player have a cool idea for a techomage/psi/miracle worker, run with it, and adjust if it seems too unbalanced.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”