A few questions from a new guy

greybird

A few questions from a new guy

Postby greybird » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:01 pm

These aren't really rules questions, so I hope I put them in the right place.

I picked up Torg Eternity, a drama deck, and a set of dice at GenCon last year. I'm hoping to put it on the table soon. I haven't dug through all the rules yet, and have a few questions related to accessories.

~How many dice do each player need? I've got a 30-year collection of RPG dice, so I'm not worried about running out, but I'd like to be able to offer the official ones.

~I've seen a "Counters and Tokens" pack. How useful is that?

~Last, I've seen all sorts of token packs. They look like the pog-style miniature substitutes (yes, using the word 'pog' dates me.) I was under the impression that TE didn't need miniatures. What purpose do they serve? I've got probably 2,000 miniatures, but was kind of hoping for something less... involved this time around. I have painting burnout!

As an aside, I really wish I could find my old, original Torg box set d20.

Thanks!

Kuildeous

Re: A few questions from a new guy

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:16 pm

When I run demos, I usually pass out 1d20 and 2d6. I consider those the bare minimum. Some people feel better having extras. For example, rolling another d20 next to the original when spending a Possibility or rolling an Up. I did have to get after my player for rolling both simultaneously since it matters which die rolls a 1. You may find yourself needing additional d6, especially if you have the Sniper perk, have the Relentless perk, or are invoking the Law of Savagery. But the basic character should get by with just 2d6. As long as your memory isn't terrible, you can just roll the dice and keep adding.

I do prefer that the d6 has some sort of symbol for 6. The Torg Eternity dice are nice because that infinity symbol is meaningful. When I run demos, I wait for a player to roll the infinity symbol (hopefully he rolls it before I do) and explain that that number is not 6. It is 5 that explodes. By replacing the 6 with a symbol, any symbol really, you emphasize that there are no 6s.

I find counters to be really useful. I bought poker chips before the Kickstarter was launched, and I still use those chips. I carry the right amount of chips for demos so that they represent the following:
* Green = Shock
* White = Possibilities (though I now have the printed Possibilities and they look sweet)
* Red = Wound (with -1 written on them in white-out as a reminder of wound penalties)
* Blue = Stymied (with -2 written on one side in white-out and -4 on the other)
* Black = Vulnerable (with +2 written on one side in white-out and +4 on the other)

I could use the tokens that came with the Kickstarter, but I honestly really like the tactile nature of throwing poker chips around. The chips are also easier for me to see.

The threat blips are useful for setting the stage. Torg Eternity can be run entirely in theatre of the mind, but sometimes it really helps to show a map with the enemies. A player might not think about diving behind a table unless they see a table on the map. If you don't want to use miniatures at all, skip this part. You don't need it. A more complex encounter might be made simpler to grok if you draw it out though. I cast a tablet to the wall-mounted TV for my group--if I can find an app that is stable and reliable, that is.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Here's a picture I shot earlier of my chips and the laminated archetypes. I've been using these chips for demos over the past 2 years, except for when I replaced the white chips with Possibility chips.

The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

greybird

Postby greybird » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Excellent! Thanks so much for the detailed response. I've actually picked up a 190-pack of mixed acrylic crystals (like the ubiquitous 'gaming stones' but in jagged shapes.) They're about an inch across and I can pull out plenty of red and blue ones to serve as possibilities.

I do have plenty of poker chips, but I have two other games that I use chips for (Deadlands and D&D 5e), so I'd like to give something that my players will find distinct.

I think I'll order the token set (shock, etc) and two more sets of dice. That'll give me enough for each player to have a d20. If they need more than one d6 they'll have to share with their neighbor for now (I can't afford to order five sets to get enough for everyone to have two!)

greybird

Postby greybird » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 am

As an aside, I also use my TV for RPGs. I personally have the TV set as the monitor for a computer, and use my laptop to run games. I then use MapTool to show images, draw, display maps, that sort of thing. It's kind of like Roll20/Fantasy grounds except that it's free and you run your own local server. I just set my laptop up as the host (GM) machine, and run the other one as a client (player.) It displays what I want it to when I want it to, and it can all be set up in advance.

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am

I love all the gaming aids that came in the Cargo box.

With all of the tokens for shock, wounds, stymied, vulnerable, and conditions, we basically don't have to write anything down during play (unless a character grabs some equipment that wasn't already recorded).

THAT is pretty awesome.

Question: Where are you seeing these counter and token packs for sale?

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 am

I've found it useful for my players to have 2d20s. Possibilities get thrown around like candy during a game so your players will be rolling multiple d20s and having to combine them quite frequently.
Then there is the point where someone decides to go for the glory and you get the possibility + Drama + Hero card so they have 4d20. Though in that case they can just borrow extra dice off the other players.

I have been using the wound/shock tokens that came with the game but I do like the idea of having some acrylics to replace them now. We have a couple of big vases which are filled with glass beads next to our gaming table. I may add some more red & blue ones to the mix for that...
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

greybird

Postby greybird » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 am

Sword of Spirit wrote:Question: Where are you seeing these counter and token packs for sale?

I got mine (an acrylic counter set, the GM Pack, some more dice) from Miniature Market.

greybird

Postby greybird » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Another question, if I may:

I ordered the Living Land deck. Are the extra cards shuffled into the regular drama deck for normal play, or only when in the Living Land?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 pm

greybird wrote:Another question, if I may:

I ordered the Living Land deck. Are the extra cards shuffled into the regular drama deck for normal play, or only when in the Living Land?

It's up to you.

You can mix and match. You can replace. You can add. Each card is identical to the one with the same number in the normal Drama Deck, but just with the added special text.

The new Destiny cards are intended to be added entirely. Same thing with Cosm cards, though I advocate trimming that deck according to the needs of the adventure.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”