A few questions from a new guy

greybird

Re: A few questions from a new guy

Postby greybird » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Ok, thank you. I'm looking at long term storage solutions as more and more decks get released (assuming they keep doing this with other cosms.) I just need to know whether I need to play for three large decks, or about 30 small ones!

As an aside, I love the experience of getting into a new game. So much inspiration, so much planning, so many ideas!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 pm

greybird wrote:Ok, thank you. I'm looking at long term storage solutions as more and more decks get released (assuming they keep doing this with other cosms.) I just need to know whether I need to play for three large decks, or about 30 small ones!

As an aside, I love the experience of getting into a new game. So much inspiration, so much planning, so many ideas!

That's the plan. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

greybird

Postby greybird » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:41 am

First off, I want to thank everyone here. You never know what you're stepping into on the internet, but this has been an extremely polite and helpful group of people.

I'm still working toward running my first Torg game since the 90s. I'm working my way through the rules and gathering supplies. I have most of what I need, but I had one more question about supplies. I picked up a set of acrylic counters. It contains,

8 1-Value Shock
2 5-Value Shock
4 1-Value Wound
1 2-Value Wound
1 Step A
1 Step B
1 Step C
1 Step D
2 Stymied
2 Very Stymied
2 Vulnerable
2 Very Vulnerable
1 Disconnected
1 Malfunction
1 Concentrating

Is that enough for a game with five players and one GM? If not, how many sets like that would be necessary to have the game running smoothly?

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:40 pm

greybird wrote:I'm still working toward running my first Torg game since the 90s. I'm working my way through the rules and gathering supplies. I have most of what I need, but I had one more question about supplies. I picked up a set of acrylic counters. It contains,

8 1-Value Shock
2 5-Value Shock
4 1-Value Wound
1 2-Value Wound
1 Step A
1 Step B
1 Step C
1 Step D
2 Stymied
2 Very Stymied
2 Vulnerable
2 Very Vulnerable
1 Disconnected
1 Malfunction
1 Concentrating

Is that enough for a game with five players and one GM? If not, how many sets like that would be necessary to have the game running smoothly?

The only thing that I’d think you might want more of are stymied/very stymied/vulnerable/very vulnerable tokens. For example, one cast of the Stun spell can make 5 enemies Very Stymied. You only have 2 tokens. If you want to use tokens, you either want a lot more or use something else.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Atama wrote:The only thing that I’d think you might want more of are stymied/very stymied/vulnerable/very vulnerable tokens. For example, one cast of the Stun spell can make 5 enemies Very Stymied. You only have 2 tokens. If you want to use tokens, you either want a lot more or use something else.

I find that a "set" of tokens for each player is fine and I track NPCs on a sheet of paper (old school FTW!) most of the time. If I'm using maps and minis/tokens though then I like to have them for each bad guy so the players can easily see what effects are on which guy. Given that I had one fight with 4 PCs and almost 30 enemies, that's a lot of tokens and I'm glad the LL Cargo box came with extra sets of the base ones :)

So it may come down to what style of combat you prefer - Theater of the Mind or Maps and Minis/Tokens.

greybird

Postby greybird » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Theater of the mind. I've got around 2,000 miniatures (and Bones 4 soon...), and use them for everything under the sun. I'm actually looking forward to playing something that's got fewer moving parts!

With that in mind, do I still need a bunch more? I need one or two more sets I may spring for them. If I need four more sets, I'd likely stick with the cardboard.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Don't forget that the stymied, etc conditions can be applied to the players as well. So if you throw a stun spell or have a gloater stormer facing them they could easily all have a stymied condition on them as well.

I have 4 players and can often end up with 7-8 conditions in play between their and my actions.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 pm

At least if the entire party is Stymied or Vulnerable, you can get by with just one token placed in the middle of the table. But in the case of Gloater, you could easily have mixed results.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

greybird

Postby greybird » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:31 am

It sounds like I could get by with two more packs (six of each condition.) If the situation arises when that's not enough, I could pull out the cardboard counters.

Thanks again! It'll be a little while before my turn to GM comes again, but I'm really looking forward to it. It's a nice change after the burnout I was feeling before.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”